Truck Camper Weight

I have a 2008 F150 w/ tow package. 1,800 lb payload capacity listed on the door sticker.

I'm looking at a Palomino SS-550 camper that weighs 1,600 lbs dry.

Would you do it? I understand that after loading the truck and camper I'll be a little overweight. My thought is it will be fine as long as I take it easy. No racing or off-roading. I'd like to hear your opinions though.

Now... would you tow your boat with that setup?

I'd realistically use the camper about 8 times per year. 4 times with the boat and 4 times without. I would add airbags to the truck. I know that doesn't magically fix weight issues, but I think it would handle better.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

2. Member
    Would I do it? No. Once you add truck passengers, water, propane, food, any options not part of the base camper package, and the tongue weight of your boat, and you're going to be over rating by a LOT. Your axle ratings and your tire ratings are going to be something you will want to be VERY concerned about. I'm sure that there may be mods that you could do, like spring upgrades, tire upgrades, etc. that could make it safer, but you'd still want to stay within the ratings of the axles at a minimum. Sure, there may be some you talk to that will say go for it, but they won't be the ones driving your rig and taking evasive action if ever required to avoid an accident. Good luck with your decision!

Don’t forget to add the tongue weight of the trailer
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    $80 bag kit + send it

have done; no prob.

you'll have more trouble w/hitch extension/camper overhang perhaps; w/regard to trailering

5. Member
    Listed Dry weights are usually (always?) less than actual weight. Would you be alone
    doing extra springs, higher weight capacity tires, air-bags , etc. ? No, you would not.
    Can we recommend doing this? - again no. It is possible the 'wet' weight could be up to
    1/3 higher than your payload and this does not include the boat when towing.

(but, yes, I have done it.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

6. Member
    Thanks for the input so far.

This camper doesn't extend past my rear bumper so I wouldn't need an extension for towing.

I don't know what my actual tongue weight is but I can lift it by hand so it's not that heavy... but yes, I realize that counts against payload.

I'll double-check the axle and tire ratings. New tires will be needed fairly soon anyway.

One of the reasons I asked here is because it seems that being overweight with a truck camper is the norm. Almost every compact and half-ton truck is going to be overweight with a lightweight camper. And even the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks can easily go overweight with those huge campers with dual slide-outs. It seems the real question is how overweight can you be before it's a problem? I'm hoping the setup I'm looking at is within reason.
    Chris

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You’ll be way, way overweight.

The dry weight of the camper doesn’t include anything that wasn’t in it when it came off the line. Batteries, water, propane and all of your cooking stuff, food, clothing, personal items etc..

Then add the weight of your drawbar and 300 or so for tongue weight of the boat.

At this point, you’ll probably be 700-800 pounds overweight.

Now add passengers in the truck, fuel and any aftermarket accessories.

You’d have to work hard to stay under 1000lbs over the truck payload.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    I have a friend with that exact camper on a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab 6'6" bed. Pulls a 21' Triton. NO problems.

9. Member
    Read the sticker in glove box for max slide in camper.
    Most cab overs require a 1 ton.

10. Member
    People do crazy things every day, question is do you want to be one of them.

11. Member
    The truck, passengers, camper and misc will likely be well overweight. Including things like jacks, tie-downs, brackets, and bed mats. You’ll be even more overweight. The Palomino is pretty low profile, with air bags and heavier tires you could get by, but it’s pushing it, and it won’t be legal. And just because lots of people do it, doesn’t make it legal either. That camper better suited to a 3/4 ton. I haul a small TC and 20’ boat, it’s plenty for my 1 ton.

12. Member
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look at class c options that can tow/launch a boat.
    Chris

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look at class c options that can tow/launch a boat.
    RVing in any form with a boat is a world of enormous compromises. There genuinely seems to be no good answer.

Class C and Class A make for easier towing, though many Class Cs have very, very limited towing capacities. Both As and Cs are hard to launch and load with, and both suffer from the PITA factor of having to brake camp every time you launch or load the boat and not having room in most ramp parking lots.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Hauling a truck camper and towing a boat actually works very well. It’s my favorite way to camp. Your issue is you need a bigger truck. A 3/4 ton would do fine with what you are proposing. If you think you might go with a hard-side camper then get at least a 1 ton. If you think you want one with a slide, then get a dually.

15. Member
    If you are towing a boat and wanting to camp. Might consider a shorter 5th wheel. Drop the camper and unload the boat as normal. Your camper won't be 150 degrees inside when you come off the lake.

16. Member
    A properly optioned 3/4 ton truck would work fine for what you want to do. You will be way over your payload with the set up you described.

17. Member
    1987 F150 Lariat lwb with a 302. Jayco Sportser with a small Skeeter. What I did was add two shorter leaf springs between the overload and original spring pack. Added the Monroe load leveler shocks, the truck handled the weight no problem. Wife, 2 kids, and me at Bay Springs. Friend that had 87 Chevy 4wd with Jayco extended past the bed and a big Ranger with about 30" draw bar was too much for his truck. He only put one of extra leaf springs that goes over the top, his axle bowed. Chevy only has 3" axle tube and 10 bolt rearend.297817480_10224559190740774_2172675228661239964_n.jpg298395984_10224559191420791_8876831698053629278_n.jpg

18. Member
    I would call Capri campers in Texas and tell them what you want to do.... they can custom build the camper with you're must have items and odds are it will end up lighter than the palomino. I will never purchase a standard camper again....sooo many unwanted options and nick nacks that just add weight and reduce storage..... the one I am having built will be a cab over with the bed up top.... some basic cabinets, an indoor shower with a removable compost toilet/ outdoor shower, rooftop ac with electric heater built in.

I deleted the fridge and furnace so no propane needed. Also, no tvs or stereo.... no sink or range top.....just a microwave... I doubt I will EVER need the heater but the AC was a must. I will build a bracket to mound my Honda 3k generator on the back.

Also added a side awning for shade and the electric jacks.... my use is for pulling my boat to tournaments and spending one or two nights in it vs. a hotel room. Food will be pre prepped/ microwaved/ or bbq'd and stored in an ice chest. Best thing of all is it's about 5 grand cheaper than the palomino. Ps.... mine is going on an f250 4door short bed but they build whatever size you want/need. Good luck.