Looking at buying a 99' 519DVS & 225 V-Max - What to look out for?

Hey BBC,

Going to check out a 1999 519DVS this weekend, what should I be on the lookout for? Here are the ad details and photos:

"Very nice 19.8 ft Tournament bass boat, no damage, dual console, new 112 Fourtrex last summer, 2 finders, Ranger charger, foot throttle, trim on wheel, 225 Yamaha V Max, Ranger Tandem Trailer, cover, 2 working Talons, etc etc"

Ranger.JPGranger2.JPGranger 3.JPG

The boat has a 1999 Yamaha V-Max 225, current owner is unsure about how many hours are on it but was told by the previous owner he speculated roughly 450.

Asking $18.5k, Canadian - A fair deal for my area.

I'm a licensed tech and very mechanically inclined, with lots of tools and a big heated shop to work on it. I've gone through my current boat (99' Hydrasports 171) and replaced/repaired/rewired/rebuilt pretty much everything except the power head, so not scared of turning some wrenches if the boat needs it - Just looking for your experienced advice on what to look out for on the boat/motor.

Going to do the cav plate flex test on the transom to make sure it hasnt come apart and compression test the motor. Anyone know what good compression numbers for a 99 Vmax?

Thanks everyone!

Kyle
    ‘99 Triton TR20 - 200 V-Max
    '97 Stratos 201Pro - 250 ProXS
    youtube.com/fishingontario

2. Member
    Check the Max rating. I have a 04 519 vx and the max is 200

3. mikesxpress
    Jack it up off the bunks and check for osmotic blistering.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    He's good. The 519VS is a different model than the 519VX. The VS is a much better riding hull but there were transom issues per the post below "1998 Ranger Jack Plate".
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Max rating as per Ranger for the 97-99' 519DVS is 225, I believe they increased the setback and reduced the HP rating to 200 in 00'.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Jack it up off the bunks and check for osmotic blistering.
    Good call.

Thanks for the reply guys!

6. Member
    I had the same boat with a 225 efi. There were transom issues. Mine failed and Ranger fix it under warranty. I don't think they're doing that anymore. My lids cracked. They were fiberglass and a little bit weak. Other than that mine was a 73 mph boat with just me. Great Hull

I had a transom issue with my '99 519vs. Repaired by Ranger as a "good will" gesture. Was a great boat. One of the better rough water hulls they made.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    I had the same boat with a 225 efi. There were transom issues. Mine failed and Ranger fix it under warranty. I don't think they're doing that anymore. My lids cracked. They were fiberglass and a little bit weak. Other than that mine was a 73 mph boat with just me. Great Hull
    thanks for the reply, how did you know the transom was failing? What were the signs?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I had a transom issue with my '99 519vs. Repaired by Ranger as a "good will" gesture. Was a great boat. One of the better rough water hulls they made.
    I really hope this one doesn’t have those issues or is already repaired as that sounds like the perfect hull for fishing the Great Lakes around Southern Ontario where I am! What signs did the hull give you that the transom was failing?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyholm View Post
    thanks for the reply, how did you know the transom was failing? What were the signs?
    You could see the transom flexing when bouncing the motor up and down. Took pics inside and could see the cracks

11. Member
    Transom is the only issue I am aware of - I had a '97 519 SVS with a 225EFI for 23 years. Transom cracked at about year 16, had it repaired and it cracked first time out. Had it repaired again and 1/4 steel plate put in it, problem solved. Was an extremely fast and a solid riding boat.

ps - as a point of interest the seal around the top cap is worth checking too