Pad my carpet or not? Where to buy if so?

Just took delivery on my carpet to redo my 2000 Ranger 520VX. I’m just waiting for Ranger Mike to send me my new compartment lids as I had a few getting soft so decided to have all new ones built. He makes them out of aluminum so they will outlast my boat. Once I get these in about 3 more weeks it’s gonna be game time. I’m still unsure about padding under my carpet or not. I bought 20oz carpet from Ranger and some say that’s enough while others say do the padding for sure. Just not sure if it’s needed or not. I do have a not so great back so wonder if it might help for those long days fishing but I’ve had others say they have padded carpet and it not worth it and they don’t like it.

If I do decide to do padding what type of padding is generally used, where do you buy it and how thick do you get? Also would you do the entire boat or just the front deck?

Thanks for the help……

2. Member
    Yes do the padding. Order the front deck pad that ranger sells. It’s the best I’ve used so far.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    You want closed cell padding. I got mine from ProTech Mats. I padded the front and back decks. For me it’s been great for standing all day but even better for kneeling down on the deck.

4. Member
    Re-carpeted my 96 Ranger 487VS with padded front deck. Used Pro-Tech 3/8” virgin…I can stand all day on front end now. Rich at Boatworxva got me the carpet, padding, and birdsong adhesive (in quarts-Huge Win). This was my first time and Rich gave me his cell. He gave me several tremendous tips that saved me a lot of headache, especially when it came to installing the padding and cutting it at an angle. My boat looks amazing for a 30 year old boat!

5. Member
    Ranger uses protech. I had to do some warrenty work on a ranger several years ago, on a boat that they used shit padding on, they used the wrong pad on several model years. what they sent was protech, and their new carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR