R82 Sport WOT / Prop Selection

Long time reader, first time poster...

I bought my dad's "old boat" which is a 97 R82 Sport with a Johnson 150 Fast Strike. He ran a Renegade 4 blade 23p prop. Boat runs 45 WOT at 4800 RPM with two full size guys and light gear...50 even with just me...boat has twin power poles and a manuel jack plate...I think it's 6 inches...3 inches below pad.

I've read here that guys are running 55-60 + with Johnson 150's...I tried a Tempest 23p, but the prop blows out when the bow lifts and won't plane.

I haven't seen anyone else with this boat anywhere except in old for sale ads....

Any ideas on a good setup that could get me up past 50 with good RPM's?

Thanks

2. Member
    Before I spent much effort on set up,I would have the engine checked out. You should be able to turn a 23 higher than 48-5000 rpm. You might have a weak or dead cylinder from no spark or low compression. Those engines had a bushing on the timing advance lever that was prone to breaking,once it gone the timing is off and affects performance. If that Tempest is a + model,you can use the pvs holes to reduce blow out at take off. That should be good prop for you when it’s dialed in right.

3. Member
    The Tempest is not a plus...but it's the 45( with the torque hub). The Renegade prop is a 23 and the hole shot is awesome . I'll check compression today and post results.

4. Member
    I have a similar setup to you. 2000 R83 with a 2000 Evinrude Ficht 150. I've had a 23p Renegade on it since the day I bought it new. I've had it to 57.8 MPH (GPS) at 5600 RPM's so it sounds like you've got something major going on. That engine should be turning around 5800 RPM's at WOT. Investigate and find what is keeping your RPM's down. Once that's fixed I would stay with the 23p Renegade. Good hole shot, bow lift is good and I'm happy with my top speed.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Agree with the above, and since Brian [OP] is fairly new to BBC, he should also consider posting about his engine over on the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Lots of helpful gurus over there for the older OMC engines.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    I posted this question in the Johnson Evenrude forum...

Update....motor is as it should be. Compression is at spec, timing is where it should be according to the guy that checked it out.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If the guy who checked it out checked the timing, I assume he verified spark on all cylinders, and that all spark plugs are clean and firing? I’ve run Evinrudes for 40 years, including several 150s of that era, and something is significantly off about that engine. It’s down on power about the amount I’d expect from one misfiring or non-firing cylinder. But there are several other possibilities, such as bad gas, clogged carburetor, plugged exhaust or intake, a prop that is mislabeled [and actually too big for the engine/rig], etc. The easiest solution in the long run might be a trip to a certified Johnson/Evinrude mechanic for an on-the-water test.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    I agree even though the motor has good compression according to the mechanic something is wrong. The low RPMs could mean that you have the wrong prop on.

for reference I have a 1995 481v with a 175hp Johnson and I only get 55mph with a 4 blade prop at 5800rpms. (Just a tad bigger than a R82.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    The R82 is actually the old 361-V w/ an updated top cap. That hull is capable of +60 mph all day long. The carbs on the Fast-Strike can have many issues related to aging. In particular swelling of the needle valves and other issues. Sounds like you're not getting full throttle or there's some issue with the carbs. I'd drag this rig to a good wrench that knows this model. I had an Evinrude Intruder (same as fast strike) on my 361 I had my carbs completely rebuilt after ten years. Difference in power was night and day.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

10. Member
    I live around the Houston area....any one know of a good shop I can take it to?