GT-56 Transducer Help

Is anyone running the gt56 on the transom? Is it better than using the gt30 and gt 8 combo?

Thanks

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Some of the pics I saw look pretty dam good......if you have the GT8/30 combo, look at replacing the GT30 with the GT36......same as GT56, just no 2d sonar.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    ok..well for the same price.. I get no reading on gt-8 over 20 mph.. mounted in bilge..I had to mount it on the skeeter supplied black membrane in the bilge area.. So, I don't know if I'm actually getting the best readings out of it..deciding if I just want 2d on transom as well.. either way I go gonna need another transducer shield for the 36 or 56 so that hurts..

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Its all about location when mounting the ducer.....i had a skeeter and put in a new shoot thru ducer and it never worked on plane, not sure why but it was at the back near the plug......on my Phoenix i have 3 transducers and all work over 60 mph so not sure what it is with the skeeter........not sure what you are talking about with the "black membrane"
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Black membrane stuff in the bilge area. A black seems like a water proofing on the fiberglass

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Its all about location when mounting the ducer.....i had a skeeter and put in a new shoot thru ducer and it never worked on plane, not sure why but it was at the back near the plug......on my Phoenix i have 3 transducers and all work over 60 mph so not sure what it is with the skeeter........not sure what you are talking about with the "black membrane"
    if I run a get-56 on transducer saver shield on jack plate and a get-8 thru hull would I then be able to switch between the 2d’s at will? Thank you

7. Member
    The 56 will not work with a GT8 with the y cable required for the Echomap series. You can only have one 2d source for them, but it may work with the GPSmap series. For instance I could plug a gt56 and gt8 or gt15 directly into my 8410 and pick which 2D source I want to use.
    Hope that helps.

edit: looking at your other posts, you may have multiple Echomap units. If that’s the case you may be able to plug the 56 into one Echomap and the gt8 in another and share/pick which one you want at will, but I’m less familiar with that.