Need everyone’s opinion please

Ok y’all I need an opinion on this. I found what I think is a great opportunity but I wanna make sure. It’s a 1988 black Max 150 20” with controls and harness for 1000. I have to drive bout 4 hours. Sent me videos of it running. Needs carbs tune up and a good cleaning paint and stickers. It’s going on an 89 ranger 364v. My question is is this a good year for merc? I know usual oil injection issues but other than that what you guys think? Said compression is 115-120 all cylinders.
    Also is there a way to tune these up to gain a little more from the horse power without cooking it? Boat calls for a 175 that’s why I ask. Y’all please let me know. Thank you all in advance.

2. Member
    sounds good but thats a 2.0L 122 cu in 3 1/8 in bore mtr with 2;1 gears no finger ports not much you can do, reeds ,cut heads ,tune it real close with timming and jets ,still wont make 175 power , put a jack plte and a good prop on it , but still good deal if it checks out , good luck with it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................