Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shopping - 1st Travel Trailer - Please discuss

Calling on the BBC team to give me your insight once again. Wife is serious about us getting one so today we officially began the tire kicking. We made the promise not to rush and learn as much about them as possible and then wait on the right deal.

- We went to a local dealer (Camping World) this morning and started getting familiar. Since its just the two of us and a couple of small terriers, we narrowed it down to a 24-27 foot with slide outs. Anything smaller will not cut it.

Budget - $20K

The new ones we looked at were right in the $25 - $30 range, but why spend that when a ten year used is going for about half.

What are things to be aware of in the used market? The slide outs look like a leak waiting to happen. We did look at a few used models on the lot, but some smelt dank, cigaret smell, and I couldn't see myself laying on a mattress or furniture someone else had their azz in.

Tires - lurking here, I'd most likely switch out to LT's.

We would have to get a tow pig to handle the chores and I'm a fan of GM Tahoe SUV or even a pppp... pp..ppp'.... pickup in the 1500 size. (joking as I haven't owned a truck in 30 years). Would a 1500 work for towing duties as that range of trailer is around 6K pound?

Appreciate it as always.
    Jr.

I’ve kicked tires on RV’s for 20 years and my wife and I finally bought one last year. We bought a almost new /used fifth wheel. I never saw myself buying a used one because I didn’t want someone else’s problems. I don’t want anything if it’s broke down or don’t work right. If you buy a used one, just make dang sure it’s what you want and it’s been looked over really good, cause people don’t take care of their stuff. I recommend buying new because of the used ones are as much as a new ones. I highly recommend watching some YouTube videos by Haylett RV up in Michigan, I believe. He’s kind of annoying at first but he’s the most knowledgeable and honest of anyone I’ve seen talking about or selling RV’s. His videos are very informative about all RV’s. Even it’s not one he carry’s. I’ve learned more from him than anywhere else.

3. Member
    Have a look at the Jayco brand. I have owned 7 different campers, 4 campers and 3 toy haulers and like my current Jayco Eagle best of all I have owned. Good luck with your search.

4. Member
    Visit a lot of rv dealers. Go into a lot of rv's. You will find after you do, that your opinion on what layouts you like will change and then preferences get locked in. We go camping to relax and explore, but you do have times it rains all day and you might get stuck in your camper, we didn't want a tv at a 90 deg angle. We wanted a shower that had some room in it. Things like that.

Used campers, I wouldn't worry about the mattress, oem's aren't good for the most part, so a new one is i order. I wouldn't buy a smoked in rv, and Stanley Steamer can freshen up the upholstery. Check every single system and switch. Check the water, run water through every faucet, look for leaks underneath, also check the water heater, ac and heater. Especially check roofs and walls for soft spots and water damage.

For a used rv, after you determined the preferred layouts from step one, look for those type models and take your time.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

5. Member
    Consider how you will use your RV. Weekends, a week at a time, multiple weeks/months on the road? Then decide what items you will need to take with you to meet the needs of the expected journey. Volume of clothes, linens, kitchen items, chairs, outside grills, popups, etc. You should then mentally place these items in a prospective camper. Storage is a big factor that many new owners fail to accurately consider. Your tow vehicle can also be utilized for storage, so consider that when choosing one.

If you shop used, be sure to check all around the floor for soft spots. Especially below windows and around doors. Tap on the floor with a small hammer if you can. Regardless of what you buy, caulk all of the windows, doors and other exterior seams as soon as you can, even a new one.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

7. Member
    one thing you can do is rent one and try and see if it is really what you want. one more thing is steer clear of camping world, check the reviews, lots of bad news with them. if you do go used get a inspection from a rv inspector.

8. Banned
    If you are going to buy used, you will want to inspect the roof. There are a lot of used RVs on the market with roofs that have never had a lick of maintenance.

9. Member
    Biggest issue used is lack of maintenance .Roof leaks are common.Check everything.If batteries or tires are 4 years old plan on $$ to replace.
    I tried pulling 5500 lb trailer with a half ton.Did it for 4 years.
    The half ton pulled ok but didnt like our 30 + days over 100 degrees and transmission was always getting hot.
    Traded it on a diesel and couldnt be happier .Much more enjoyable towing experience.
    Gets better mpg and the extra 2-3000 lbs doesnt blow around in wind .
    Exhaust brake only way to go on downgrades.
    Now towing 8500 lb trailer.

10. Member
    Still tire kicking and appreciate the pointers. I posted on a local group and have received more cons than pros. With that, I'm gradually interjecting some of the comments to my wife in an effort to deter her.

Renting - that has been brought up on the other forum and we have begun looking at options towards the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area to start in mid November.

Next - Airstream - we looked at one and man they're nice, expensive and feel like a dang tin can fuselage. From what I've read, it may be the way we go if one can be found on the bargain side, but even used are crazy!

Finally - and quite truthful --> I'm not the vacationing type. Never have been since we usually do an annual trip to visit family in Europe (though its not a bonafide vacay). Our, but told her I'll adjust fire and will begin doing so but there has to be a compromise. I don't always need to fish, but at least lets go to a resort where I can get in a few rounds of golf and she can lounge the pool. Seems we're going to try and book our first one early Oct.

Thanks for the help!
    Jr.

Just to give you an idea of used units out there or that will be out there in the near future. We were at a RV resort swimming when we saw a rv enter and park, well they had been on the road for hours so the mother and kids went straight to the pool. They could see their site from the pool. We were kinda watching cause it was really quiet and not much going on. Well the dad was setting up and when he opened the camper door , water came flowing out of there like a river. I’m not talking about just a little,I’m talking like probably 6” of water throughout the camper. It was all of there fresh water tank. All the mother could say when all of the water came out,was , well, one of us left the faucets on AGAIN. They had closed off the drains in the sink and left the water running for at least 6 hours. But it wasn’t the first time. She said the last time they did it, they filed it on insurance and they did was put fans inside to dry it up. IDIOTS!!! Now, they will sell that one or trade it in and someone is gonna get a flood damaged unit. The market is gonna be flooded with a lot of units that have been mistreated and damaged by first timers and people who thought they wanted a rv and changed their minds because its a lot more to it than just hooking up and going to the park. Do your diligent research!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    If you are going to buy used, you will want to inspect the roof. There are a lot of used RVs on the market with roofs that have never had a lick of maintenance.
    Shopping for a camper now and notice a lot of ads with campers and water leaks. What maintenance should be done to the roofs and what else to look out for?

Look for hail damage like little cracks. Look for delamination up toward the top. Look for caulking gaps.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Shopping for a camper now and notice a lot of ads with campers and water leaks. What maintenance should be done to the roofs and what else to look out for?
    The dicor roof lap sealant will dry up and crack from being exposed to the elements. It's a gradual process that should be addressed at least once a year. New lap sealant can be applied annually to questionable areas provided you clean the area properly first. Or you can completely remove all the old dicor and reapply new every 5 years or so. You can google or youtube and see examples of bad RV roofs. If a seller admits there is water leaks I personally would pass on the RV from the get go.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxphil View Post
    one thing you can do is rent one and try and see if it is really what you want. one more thing is steer clear of camping world, check the reviews, lots of bad news with them. if you do go used get a inspection from a rv inspector.
    Good advice to steer clear of Camping World. Not only do you pay too much, they add on a bunch of charges after you agree to the sale, and then have lousy after sales support. Do not be fooled by them.

In your price range, pretty much everything is going to be, um, light duty. I've known a lot of people with lower end RV's over the years. I'm an officer of a club that has 54 RV sites. The lower end stuff just does not last long, especially if you use it much. They all upgraded to bigger, better RV's pretty quickly. So I'd consider anything in the $20K range to be a starter. It'll be enough to give you a good flavor of RV'ing.

A biggie here. Check that EVERYTHING works before giving them money. Put water in it, make sure the hot water works, plumbing doesn't leak, all faucets work. Run the slides in and out several times. Check all lights, inside and out, and all other electrical systems. Look for bowed walls from the inside and outside. Check the roof, windows, etc.

Not trying to scare you off here, just want you to have you eyes wide open.
    John

16. Member
    Your PDI (pre delivery inspection) should take a couple of hours to complete if the dealership is competent. You’ll forget half of what you were told/showed so take your phone or iPad and video the entire process.

Anything found during the PDI that needs to be fixed needs to be fixed BEFORE you sign and hand over any money.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A couple of things:

RVs are even worse for needing maintenance than boats. Repairs are nearly constant. This problem is usually worse on the lighter and cheaper end of product lines because they have to make material choices to save weight the highest priority.

RV service at dealers is beyond terrible. Even before the surge in sales the last two years, waiting months for a repair was common. Now you wait months just to get it in to service, then wait again for parts and repair. Unless you are handy and can do many repairs yourself, you will be very frustrated with ownership. Extended “warranties” don’t help and probably make the delays worse because dealers would rather work on a cash customer’s rig than one where they’ll get a lowball reimbursement.

A truck is a much better tow vehicle because of wheelbase. Steadier on the road with less tail wagging the dog.

Pay attention to vehicle payload. If you have a family, it can be very difficult to stay under payload with multiple passengers, a hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer.

Most travel trailer accidents you see involve undersized SUVs.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Like you’ve decided, rent one first. I wanted to be able to tow the boat when we camp, so we have truck camper. It is cozy, but works well for us most of the time. We use it on shorter trips a lot. No problem launching the boat with the camper on back. And it’s nice having facilities with us even on day trips. If we need more space on longer trips, we just rent a TT.

19. Member
    I bought my 2017 Dutchman Denali new 5 years ago. Never been on the road except to be delivered. I have had it on a campsite in Al and use it as my fish camp (Guntersville). The words quality control don’t exist in the RV world. You’ll have issues regardless of the brand or what you pay. But yes cheaper is worse I’m sure. Buy toppers for your slide outs. Buy extended warranty for ac and fridge. Buy dual ac’s. I’m going to keep mine a little while longer and then sell it.

20. Banned
    Personally, I would not buy one right now. Due to pandemic people started buying RV's at record numbers. RV industry could not keep up. Then you throw in the labor shortage and you have unskilled labor assembling these RV's. A lot of junk being made. I bought a brand new 2021 Grand Design Travel Trailer. Started leaking at a couple places within a few months. Long story short...and I mean it is a long one. Grand Design is sending a truck to pick up my RV at my house and take back to Indiana for repairs. I got a lemon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast