Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Yea frigin sucks. Take his money and cooperate bs somewhere else. Last thing we want are more places for those ya hoos from up north to stay at. The locals don't want his crap here. Big money from out of towners buying property up.

Well the Locals must want His Money, as THEY are the ones that sold him all that Land he is building it on.

Everyone likes to Blame the "outsiders" for Development, but in Reality it is Ole Jimmy and Bubba that sold off the old homestead for a Bunch of Money, and did it with Smiling Faces.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Well the Locals must want His Money, as THEY are the ones that sold him all that Land he is building it on.

Everyone likes to Blame the "outsiders" for Development, but in Reality it is Ole Jimmy and Bubba that sold off the old homestead for a Bunch of Money, and did it with Smiling Faces.
    I agree 100% Deadeye....I moved here to Florida in February of '74 ....my dream since visiting at age 11 and fulfilled it at 18- so to me I have no say in anyone else moving here for whatever purpose. I have seen the same thing in Osceola county with the old guard Osceola families selling their land....after DECADES of doing everything in their power to preserve the "Old Osceola Ways" Funny thing is most of them moved here from somewhere else and took advantage of the good weather, cheap land and friendly Ag laws. They just did it before it was popular.... Doesn't make it wrong, doesn't make it right but we certainly enjoyed the no wait ramps and not looking at homes on Toho didn't we? Time marches on whether we like it or not.

3. Banned

Just because a "few" people sold doesnt mean its wanted. Example...A friend of mine lives on river here in town. Properties ( undeveloped) next to him came up for sale and a developer was going to buy and build 4 or 5 houses. He said screw that and bought all the land to stop it. Now if it would have went down with the developer getting the land than according to you (dead eye) the locals would have wanted it when in effect it was the opposite. Luckily for my buddy he had the resources to pay cash and stop it. Im sure it was in the 7 figure range. A rather large piece of land highly sought after.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 01-24-2022 at 05:42 PM.

4. Banned
    My buddy said the developer wanted to cut down 100 year oak trees that were huge. These guys come in clear the land lay concrete and leave with a pile of money after scaring the land.

The part of welatka that Morris wants to develope is like walking back into the 1920's with giant old houses, 100 year oaks that hang over the road. One of the last places in Florida like this on the river. No way some big outfit should be allowed to come in and ruin all that history. Turkeys and deer everywhere. Keep it that way.

5. Banned
    Next thing ya know. J Morris will want a walmart in the area to support all his customers. There arnt any stores of size within 20 miles either direction.

Matt if you didn't notice this thread is about the Okeechobee store. Maybe you should start one about St Johns or what ever gotten in your crawl and -itch there!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    Ive lived all 74 of my years here things change and if it's such a pain in your but instead of bitching leave

8. Banned
    If the locals didn't want it, it would not have been built. Most of the people don't fish , lots of retirees , most of whom don't care if they build the place. But one thing I think you can count on is that if Okeechobee keeps going downhill, it will turn the place into a ghost town as far as fishermen go.

9. Banned
    JM is also building a New Place for a Fishing Resort and Living Community on the St Johns River near Lake George. Bought up a bunch of land to build it on. Welatka I believe is the name of the closest town to it.
    I was expanding on this. I didnt start it... Just expanded on what was already brought up. Hope it doesnt happen. It will ruin Welatka.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    If the locals didn't want it, it would not have been built. Most of the people don't fish , lots of retirees , most of whom don't care if they build the place. But one thing I think you can count on is that if Okeechobee keeps going downhill, it will turn the place into a ghost town as far as fishermen go.
    THIS IS NOT TRUE. Development is about MONEY. There are a lot of places that were/are being developed that the locals don't support/want. Also a lot of land is sold to developers because the kids/grandkids value the money more that the land. BUT the bottom line is that if the developments were not economically feasible/sustainable they would not exist.

Its called progress, but I am not sure it is always the best all involved.

11. Member
    Look fellas, I hate to be the Debbie Downer but "preserving Old Florida" is as dead of an idea as it gets. 1200 people a day are moving to this state. 1200. Think about that. If you are still having dreams of going to the same places you went to 25 years ago and wanting them to look the same you're simply day dreaming. The only way that is happening is you buy the land yourself and sit on it. I saw a recent article that said there is currently a backlog of over 800 permit requests for development in North Florida alone. Thats just this year so far!!!!!! Enjoy the memories of the good ole days because that's all you'll have of them very soon.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Just because a "few" people sold doesnt mean its wanted. Example...A friend of mine lives on river here in town. Properties ( undeveloped) next to him came up for sale and a developer was going to buy and build 4 or 5 houses. He said screw that and bought all the land to stop it. Now if it would have went down with the developer getting the land than according to you (dead eye) the locals would have wanted it when in effect it was the opposite. Luckily for my buddy he had the resources to pay cash and stop it. Im sure it was in the 7 figure range. A rather large piece of land highly sought after.
    The ones that Sold wanted it, or the MONEY they pocketed from the Sale of it anyway.

Your friend is just one very very small example of someone that had the money to stop someone else's dream to continue his. Many more times the neighbors don't have the money to buy what's near them or they would.

No reason to continue the discussion on a Big O thread any more. It's the same story anyway, those that inherited land saw the Money over History and took it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

15. Member
    I don't think of neighbors from up north will stay there,most of them own small trailers or bring there trailers.old saying from an local at a bait shop says they come here with 100 bucks and leave with 110

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Thank you for the updates

Another update more forward movement

https://www.southcentralfloridalife...._id=402cb397cb

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

last update is interesting as talk of sewer connections and MAYBE the removal of some septic systems

Quote Originally Posted by wrat View Post
    last update is interesting as talk of sewer connections and MAYBE the removal of some septic systems
    I'm sure with all the blue algae issues I'm pretty sure the septic option is going away.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast