Loose Merc 150 4s lever

Serial # 2B582293 Model #1150F23HB. The throttle lever arm is loose. Getting looser. It still works, but makes me a bit nervous. It has Merc sticker-covered plastic piece in the cold start plug. It seems like if I could pop it out, I could snug up a bolt. Any thoughts? I could take it to my dealer, but they have been disappointing in other service work. Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    put lever in neutral wide open throttle and then use a small pick or screw driver to pop the center cap on control handle out, it will pop right out then with a small amount of pressure then you can tighten the nut that holds the handle on

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend (additionally) that you return the handle to the NEUTRAL position, remove the bolt that secures the handle, carefully slide the handle OFF, and make sure that the nylon sleeve is properly indexed in the faceplate of the control. They sometimes get dis-lodged and that too can cause what feels like a "loose handle".

Recommend a couple drops of BLUE liquid loctite on the securing bolt for the handle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for the info. I’ll give it a shot. Love the motor, but the throttle and trim have given me issues at the control unit ( or whatever it’s called).

5. Member
    I popped off the Merc plastic cap. I snugged up the nut. It’s definitely tighter. I didn’t have the guts to take it totally off. Not confident in my skills at that level. Thanks