1984 Ranger Keel Damage

Due to an unfortunate day on the water, I have @ 4-5 linear feet of keel damage.

I've read multiple BBC posts and watched videos online, but still have a few questions as I try to pull my plan together...
    • I called Ranger and they no longer produce the grey color used 37 years ago. They recommended FGCI or Minicraft. Can anyone second their recommendation, or recommend someone else?
    • It seems like straight gelcoat is thin and runny. Will thickening with cabosil make it easier to work upside down?
    • What's a good ratio of cabosil to gelcoat for this application?
    • Will 1 quart of gelcoat fix 4-5 linear feet of damage?
    • Are mylar sheets the best for sealing to keep oxygen out for gelcoat to cure?
    • Any other tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Pic1.jpgPic2.jpg

2. Member
    So your first issue is the repair. Think of gelcoat as the paint at this point. You need to get a repair on the exposed fiberglass to keep it waterproof. An epoxy fairing compound (takes a little skill) and polyester based fairing compound (more forgiving) either can be used to restore the contours and fair to a 180 grit scratch. Duratec VE Primer would then be the preferred primer/sealer/surfacer before gelcoating. After spray application & curing you would sand to level to a 320 grit scratch. 3M PPS paint system allows you to spray upside down, thin your first 2-3 coats with MEK then the last 3 coats with Duratec High Gloss Additive. Your job will harden tack free. Sand and polish.

If you look at my post the 300 Yamaha Cowl repair instead of Yamaha paint you would gelcoat instead after cutting and leveling the VE Primer.

3. Member
    Since it’s below the water line, I’d take some marine-tex and some black colorant to match the gray as best I could and seal her up. I’m no expert, but I did just that on some similar damage (only a couple of chips vs the several you got) and it worked great.

4. Member
    Rojoguio - Are there any 'easier' repairs for the weekend mechanic? I don't have a paint gun. Thank You

5. Member
    Bud I have never had good results with rolling any kind of gelcoat upside down. The millage build is poor at best. The problem is when you go to level the repair once you sand the gelcoat level for me it's always too thin to let the job go out. Gelcoat rolls out rough. I started buying the purple HVLP paint guns from Harbor Freight when they are on sale and using a 3M PPS adapter screwed into the gun spraying thinned gelcoat over a repair. I had fantastic results. If an accident happened and the gelcoat thickened in the gun no big loss. I priced all my repairs with one of those cheap guns included. From your picture you really can't see the extent of the damage, looks like fairing compound would give you the millage needed. You can just paint over it if you want to.

6. Member
    You've got 3 options the way I look at it. Bring it to someone and pay to have them do it, get all of the equipment and materials and learn how to apply the compound and gel or go the Marine Tex route. I fixed a gouge similar to the middle one in your first picture with Marine Tex probably 15 years ago on a boat I sold to someone I know and it's still there and doing fine. You still have to prep the area pretty good but that can be done with a Dremel tool. Marine Tex is also a bitch to sand so you'd want to get it as level as you can before it sets but IMO it's the best route for a weekend mechanic.

7. Member
    Bleach bottles can be cut, turned inside out and blocked with something flat to use as a mold with marine tex. Not much sticks to the inside of a bleach bottle. It works on gelcoat patches on small stuff very well. No wax is needed usually.

8. Member
    Very interesting on the bleach bottle. Would their thickness and being somewhat rigid help flatten the repair to reduce sanding needed?

9. Member
    Yes it will conform some but usually due to the curve it will leave a patch a little "proud" so you can work it level.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Yes it will conform some but usually due to the curve it will leave a patch a little "proud" so you can work it level.
    Rojo, have you tried Kydex for mold work like this?

11. Member
    Looking at the first picture, you need to feather out where it is into the glass mat. Then I would chop some glass mat cloth into some resin providing it is not over a lay or two think and resin and block it out. Then sand the entire area with 220 grid and get matching get, you can get just about any paint shop to match the gel and shoot it with a cheap Harbor Freight gun.

Silica or cabosil will help with working with a brush but trust me you'll spend more on brushes than you would a cheap gun. You'll need a wax additive for the final coat, as it'll take 3 to 4 to cover the area. I would also recommend Duratec additive.

Make the repair, shoot the gel, and color sand and buff and but a good carbon based wax/sealer and good to go. If I had to guess $400ish DIY repair providing you have some basic tools and a compressor.

12. Member
    I've had my boat in storage for the last year and a half and I'm ready to get back to it. Long story short, I'm thinking of taking the motor off to have it repaired. While it's off, I'd like to turn the hull on it's side or upside down to make it easier to do proper repairs to the hull.

I've never done this before so looking for advice. Thank You

13. Member
    That would he a tough one. Are there any good fiberglass shops nearby?

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    if cosmetics is not an issue with you it can be done with Marine tex not sure if they sell a grey but might be able to tint it with the black into the white, easy enough to work with and can be sanded down smooth maybe would work for you. Most important thing is being waterproof , if not find a shop to do it if you want it done correctly and with the proper products
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

15. Member
    I appreciate the replies. Cosmetics isn't an issue, I just want to get back on the water. I originally fixed the areas I could access using products from FGCI in Florida. My problem now is several areas are blocked by the trailer boards. I'm not sure how to fix them and I can't put a lot of money into paying to have it done.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJT View Post
    I appreciate the replies. Cosmetics isn't an issue, I just want to get back on the water. I originally fixed the areas I could access using products from FGCI in Florida. My problem now is several areas are blocked by the trailer boards. I'm not sure how to fix them and I can't put a lot of money into paying to have it done.

Where are you at on this repair?

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225