Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pooldoc View Post
    Bob, this looks like a perfect way to add this to a ghost. Can you tell me how you made the dog bone supports? Are they commercially available and if so where? Thanks man this has been a project I want to get to and this is a change in mounting that seems more simple than machining a mount for the motor head. I don't know much about machining and have not the tools to do so. This is a great improvement on a great idea from Mr. Reynolds. Thanks to both of you.

I made the dog bones out of 1-1/4 x 8 x 8 sheet of Delrin. I measure the distance I wanted the pole away from the trolling motor shaft. The lower is different because the step down size in the trolling motor shaft. After that I measured the shafts so I could get a hole size, I then cut the Delrin in half, and proceeded to cut the holes in each end with a hole saw in a drill press. After that I used a band saw and remove some of the side material to give it the "bone" look, the drilled and counter sunk 3 holes for 1/4x20 SS screws and lock nuts. Then I sanded around the sharp edges to round it all off. Final was cutting lengthwise down the center with a band saw so to have 2 sides. My holes didn't come out as perfect as I would have liked so I had to sand the inner part of one of the bones to get a tighter fit. All in all it took a few adjustments, but it works. I guess I should have taken some construction pics, but the product actually shows it all. Hope this helps

If you have a CNC shop local they can fab you some out of aluminum. If you get to it before I patent mine

2. Member
    Bill,
    I am building one on my own by refurbishing a 1999 Minnkota Autopilot trollingmotor.
    I am going to buy the rocker footswitch & use my 24v power supply at the front of my boat so I don't have to introduce another power source.

My question is what would you recommend if I wanted to add a variable speed option while still going down the footswitch route?

3. Member

4. Member
    Thanks Crappie Bob!

5. Member
    When connecting the Rocker Foot Switch between the motor and the power....where is it recommended to connect the variable speed mechanism?
    --I plan to put the speed control nob next to my trim switch....but want to validate the electrical schematic architecture first....

I use this speed control on my AutoScan module. It is wired inline with the motor control wires on the load side of the foot switch.
    i.e. The + and - wires from the foot switch to the position drive motor are connected to the marked terminals on the circuit board and the wires from the position motor are attached to the other two terminals.

you may want to contact BBC member smalljawer, he modified the same unit you are using for a transducer pole and he used the speed control in the MK foot pedal to control the speed.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    I tinkered with the footpedal variable speed slide & fried one of the pressure-bottom switches in the footpedal circuit board.

Quote Originally Posted by webbow View Post
    I tinkered with the footpedal variable speed slide & fried one of the pressure-bottom switches in the footpedal circuit board.
    Smalljawer sent me a PM asking for advice on using the speed control on the foot pedal, but I replied that I had no experience with it. He later let me know he got it to work, but I don’t know any details. Doesn’t matter though if you are not using the MK foot pedal.

I also have a local friend that has this same setup and I wired up one of the executive switches for him. He placed the Executive switch at the console and the MK foot pedal on the bow. He uses the console switch to direct the transducer direction from the console while he is trolling and the one on the bow while fishing from there.

Coincidently he contacted me last week about adding speed control to the Executive switch circuit and I plan to use the one in my previous post. We have not scheduled a time yet but should be in the near future.

9. Member
    Variable Speed.jpg

Bill is this how you would recommend integrating the variable speed controller?

Quote Originally Posted by webbow View Post
    Variable Speed.jpg

Bill is this how you would recommend integrating the variable speed controller?
    You Got it.

11. Member
    Appreciate the help Bill!!!
    Your a good man.

12. Member
    Bill is it possible to wire it for a foot pedal and remote?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater2350 View Post
    Bill is it possible to wire it for a foot pedal and remote?
    Hymm - - Gotta think about it. I will be out of town for the next few days so unless I hit on something quickly, ot may be a few days.
    BTW: Welcome to the BBC lot of good guys on here.

EDIT: woke up this morning thinking about this and decided that it is possible to have both foot switch and remote. Depending on how clean you want the installation, Locating the module and wiring could be a little dicey.

Option1 - - mount the control module on the side of the workhead and wire it in parallel to the two motor direction wires coming from the foot switch. The motor wiring cable and connector I currently use only has two wires, but it comes in a four wire version. You can use the other two wires to bring 12 volts to the module. Pretty clean and simple.
    Option 2 - - one problem with option 1 is that if you actuate the foot switch and remote at the same time, you could reverse polarity and create a short. Not likely to happen though. A way around that is to mount the foot switches and module in a common enclosure and isolate the output to the motor with a DPDT selector switch. I do this with my AutoScan module. I place the selector switch in manual for the Footswitch and auto for scan then pressing the scan button initiates the scan cycle. You could probably mount the control module inside the enclosure in place of the timing module that I use.
    Details of this module is included in my upgrade build sheet but I have not posted it yet. If you decide to go this route, I can help with more specific information.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 03-02-2023 at 06:34 AM.

14. Member
    Thank you for the information. I am going to attempt to build one with a larger head and incorporate everything in one box. I will probably be asking some questions when I get all my parts gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater2350 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I am going to attempt to build one with a larger head and incorporate everything in one box. I will probably be asking some questions when I get all my parts gathered.
    The LB I used in the original build was 1 1/4 and I have an 1 1/2 but did not gain much additional room. You may have to consider 2 inch to get the space you need. I am working on a spot lock model and considering a 2 inch but don’t have anything definite.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 03-12-2023 at 05:25 PM.

16. Member
    Yes it is. A bit more expensive, This is the way I did it.

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contro.../dp/B001PNO4R6

17. Member
    Does anyone know what hardware to use to attach the mounting plate to the Ghost trolling motor? I checked the owners manual and there is no mention of accessory mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpro123 View Post
    Does anyone know what hardware to use to attach the mounting plate to the Ghost trolling motor? I checked the owners manual and there is no mention of accessory mounting.
    The threaded mounting holes on the face of the TM head are 8 MM. I don’t know the thread pitch.

19. Member
    \

20. Member
    I need some help with the wiring on the recommended forward and reverse relay module...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast