Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sea-Clear wiring harness. Reports

Looking to hear what any (users) have to say about their electronics before and after installation.
    I'm having trouble with HB Solix unit shutting down when starting the big motor. Even though it would help. I will not switch to a lithium starting battery on this new motor and currently have a 31 Northstar AGM.
    Thanks Mike.

Sea Clear Power Marine Graph Wiring Harness ™ - Sea Clear Power LLC

2. Member
    I have read several others still had issues with their Solix units even using the Northstar batteries. I'm running 3 Solix units and they are just plain power hungry. I have an East Penn with 1380 cranking amps and 100Ah and I have the same issues. The Northstar has the same specs as my battery other than it has 102Ah Reserve vs mine that has 100Ah reserve. My units are using right at 6 amps with the brightness level @ 8. It jumps up quite a bit more if I run them at 10. I can't remember exactly what it goes up to at a level 10 but it was a lot more. That means I'm using 60% of my battery's amp/hrs in a 10 hour day. I don't think there is much you can do to help the situation other than running wires straight to the battery and using a larger size wire. The Sea-Clear harness may help some but these units are just going to use a lot of juice no matter what you do. I just recently added a Lithium battery for my electronics ONLY and so far I haven't had any more low voltage issues.
    I do agree with you about not switching to a lithium for your cranking battery. I know there are several that have switched but I know Mercury does not recommend it. In reality, it is probably fine but I'm not sure what Mercury would do if you have a problem while the motor is still under warranty.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Personally I made my own for less than half the price

And I went all out (Over Kill)
    6awg 1050/36 low resistance welding wire from battery to a blue sea fuse block under dash
    10awg 105/30 (hook Up) wire from the fuse block to each of the graphs
    Solid copper lugs and crimps and a blue sea breaker

Not a fan of their connectors and they don’t tell you what stranding their wire has
    Stranding will play a bigger role in performance than gauge

Take 10awg for example
    It comes in 3 strandings (37/26 - 49/27 - 105/30)

“Hook Up” wire (105 strands of 30awg tinned) is the best and is called “Hook Up” wire due to the fact that it is commonly used in high end car audio systems

Now if you’re not able to build your own or just not willing
    Take a look at the great lakes skipper web site and search Trolling motor harness
    You will find 50+ in different size wire, lengths and options
    Some have switches, breakers, inline fuses and come with a multitude of connector sizes
    And all of them much much cheaper and will work as good if not better

Last but not least a lithium battery will save you so much hassle
    I did all the wiring and still had some issues with the two solixs I run
    But after adding a 125 Ionic I now run the 2 solixs with no issues and I’ve added 2 garmins and a Livescope and get 2 or 3 trips before charging
    "The handicapped angler"

Only have trouble with bow units.. Going to run 8 gauge all the way to bow and see what happens.. have thought about a dedicated lithium. just wasn't looking forward to the initial cost and getting it charged.
    Ordered this wire still looking for good connection for inline fuse.
    Greg's Marine Wire Supply (gregsmarinewiresupply.com)

5. Banned
    Run 8 or 10 gauge dedicated wiring for your units. I had to do that for both my helix's and it fixed all the issues with voltage drop while cranking

6. Member
    10 gauge wire direct to the battery for each unit, or an aftermarket wire harness, and a 125 ah lithium and you absolutely will not have power issues for multiple 12" to 16" graph setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    10 gauge wire direct to the battery for each unit, or an aftermarket wire harness, and a 125 ah lithium and you absolutely will not have power issues for multiple 12" to 16" graph setups.
    Doing this will result in a Christmas tree of connectors on your battery terminals

use a fuse block

even with one line to my fuse block there was a lot of connectors so I went with this
    https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercr.../dp/B00N9HMN1A
    Last edited by MichAngler; 07-16-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Only have trouble with bow units.. Going to run 8 gauge all the way to bow and see what happens.. have thought about a dedicated lithium. just wasn't looking forward to the initial cost and getting it charged.
    Ordered this wire still looking for good connection for inline fuse.
    Greg's Marine Wire Supply (gregsmarinewiresupply.com)
    remember a inline fuse hold should have the same gauge wire or larger and the only one I found is the bluesea maxi fuse holder (requires the Maxi fuses)
    https://www.bluesea.com/products/506...ne_Fuse_Holder

might consider a breaker because you can use standard lugs to connect it and you don't need to buy fuses plus if you buy the right one you can use it as a switch as well
    https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...ers/187-Series
    "The handicapped angler"

remember a inline fuse hold should have the same gauge wire or larger and the only one I found is the bluesea maxi fuse holder (requires the Maxi fuses)
    Why ?? With an inline fuse its going to get necked down there or a few inches later at the head units power cord.
    The breaker will be at the battery.

I had a simular issue with my Raymarine graphs flashing and turning off when I would start the big motor later in the day having spent most of the time on the trolling motor. It seems that when you tie into a Gang Buss for power, you don't get the full 12.8 from the battery as it becomes a shared voltage and as it becomes weaker at the later use in the day. SSSSOOOOOOOOO !!!
    I ran 8awg POS from the Battery Cut Off switch and a NEG wire all to a Blue Seas Fuse Block that I mounted on the underside of the front right storage locker, then ran 10awg to each graph. Now, each has a direct connection to the battery and a fuse that has an indicator if blown on a block that easily seen and accessible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Why ?? With an inline fuse its going to get necked down there or a few inches later at the head units power cord.
    The breaker will be at the battery.
    My bad

I assumed you wanted the inline fuse at the battery that's why I suggested a breaker

sounds like you have a handle on this
    "The handicapped angler"

12. Member
    I run 4 lowrance HDS 12's. Before installing Sea Clear Harness, my supply voltage to each unit (with all of them running) with a brand new Odyssey Grp 31 AGM was in the low 11 range. After installation, it was 12.5 to the Gen3's and 12.7 to Live's. Easy and secure connectors. Good option if you don't plan to make your own.

Thanks all for the input..
    Just about finished with my own version based on the SeaClear--- will try and get a before and after volt reading, plus see what it drops to when cranking motor.

14. Banned
    I had my local shop wire them. 6 gauge from the battery to a blue sea fuse block and 8 gauge to each unit.

For me it was well worth the cost. Sure I could built a harness myself but I didn’t mind paying a bit extra for a quality built harness. I was having major issues with my electronics, I Have now had the Sea Clear for nearly a year now and have been thoroughly satisfied! After a 8 hour dayI’m still looking at 13+ volts at my bow on my Garmins. I also run Ionic Lithums x4 plus the Power Pole Charge. Could not be more pleased with my set up.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

16. Member
    Just installed sea clear. EASY and fast. Overpriced? Probably…but ABSOLUTELY worth it to me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Just installed sea clear. EASY and fast. Overpriced? Probably…but ABSOLUTELY worth it to me.
    EXACTLY!!

18. Member
    I've got a 2 solix 15 gen 1. I'm pretty sure they pull the most power of the solix line, because each subsequent generation pulls a little less power. I run sonar pro harnesses.
    https://sonarproselectronics.com/

I also run an X2 battery. I have absolutely no issues all day. The previous owner installed this setup. He was telling me he had image quality issues until he went to the dedicated harness and X2 battery. I never have any power issues all day long running live well pumps, power poles pumps, and graphs all day. Never cycles the power to the graphs. I know you specifically asked about sea clear harnesses, but they ultimately accomplish the same goal.
    Phoenix 919/Sho 225/solix 15s/ultrex/blades

19. Member
    Over priced

Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Over priced
    Agreed!
    Anyone can run 6 or 8 gauge wire to a console buss. Then 6 or 8 gauge to a bow buss. Just add an inline fuse or breaker. Install a switch and your good to go. Its not rocket science! I use Pacer marine wire.
    https://www.pacergroup.net/6-gauge-battery-cable/
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast