Thru hull fitting

I need to move my transducer a few inches to the right to get it away from the step in the hull. Does anyone have any experience removing this fitting so I can pull some more cable through? Looking for info on difficulty, do's/dont's, etc. Want to make sure this is a job I can do myself before tackling it. First bass boat so just want to make sure. I am guessing I will need to wait for temps to warm before I try to attempt removing the caulk. Any tips would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

2. Member
    Let's start at the beginning. It looks to me, and I don't own a Vexus aluminum boat, that you want to move the external transducer to the right. If you move it further to the right it will be out of the water soon after you get on plane, sooner than it does now. Then you will have no depth reading.
    Why do you want to move it? Does it cause undue turbulence or is there a performance issue?
    It also looks like the installer used a standard 3/4" threaded drain tube like this https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...hreaded-drains and applied copious sealant inside and out to use as a pass through for the transducer wire. I could be wrong, probably am.
    Vexus has engineers on staff (I hope) that designed this method as well as the placement for the transducer. It should serve your needs.
    To me, the untrained observer, it looks like the transducer should be moved down and to the left from where it's mounted.

I can assure you that I am way more untrained than you are 🤦. The issue is that I am losing all readings at about 7-8 mph. I know that readings will diminish at speed but I lose readings as soon as I accelerate over 7-8 mph. The way I understand it is that the fitting is as you described it but with a fitting for cables as in the photo attached here. If moving it to the left is the answer then I wouldn't need to remove the fitting. I am a new boat owner and new to all of this so any advice is welcomed.

4. Member
    Installing that transducer right on a strake was a poor choice. One option is to move it to the left (first either using a bracket that sets it rearward, or shortening that bunk, or moving the bowstop rearwards - which will affect the balance and tongue weight of the trailer). By moving the bottom of the transducer closer to flush with the hull, you'll get better sonar performance. All that being said, don't expect to be able to hold bottom over 30-ish with a skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Installing that transducer right on a strake was a poor choice. One option is to move it to the left (first either using a bracket that sets it rearward, or shortening that bunk, or moving the bowstop rearwards - which will affect the balance and tongue weight of the trailer). By moving the bottom of the transducer closer to flush with the hull, you'll get better sonar performance. All that being said, don't expect to be able to hold bottom over 30-ish with a skimmer.
    Any brackets you can recommend that would set it back far enough? Not worried about anything over 30. Boat only does 33 on a perfect day. ��

6. Member
    It looks like the best place for it would be where the bunk hits the hull. That could cause an issue. You could remove the transducer mount bracket from the hull, remove the clamp mounting screws, get a piece of 1/2 inch or better Starboard or Azek and use the existing holes as well as the cable support holes to fasten it to the hull with stainless hardware. Then install the transducer mount bracket so the transducer just misses the bunk off to the side and drops slightly below the hull. Apply sealant once you have figured out where it is needed after a pre-fit-up. Clamp the cable in a loop to the Starboard, seal all the holes and call it a day.
    I would not disturb the through hole or sealant.
    It really looks to me it should be mounted where the livewell hole is.

Other experts should be along soon, I just gave you a S. W. A. G.
    Statistical Wild Assed Guess.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 04-02-2023 at 11:45 AM.

7. Member
    See if there is any way to lower it down some. If there is any adjustability it will help, may not be perfect but should show some improvement.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I think regardless of how I move the transducer I am going to put a mounting board (starboard, etc) on so I can move it if need be.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    I think regardless of how I move the transducer I am going to put a mounting board (starboard, etc) on so I can move it if need be.
    A mounting board is a great idea. Especially on an aluminum boat

Found this image online of the same year, make and model as my boat. Thank you guys for the tips. I think I may go this route.