Thread: EVGO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EVGO

Anybody buy any today? I bought a small amount for my kids since they like the EV space and bought a small amount for myself. Will probably be either boom or bust but if electric vehicles keep growing charging stations will be needed. Just going to hold and forget the shares and see where it goes over the next few years.

2. Member
    I didn't see where it was at today, but as long as you got in decent should be fine. Like you said, boom or bust, but look at BLNK's 5 yr chart...could be good

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I think there will be more losers than winners in the charging economy. Are gas stations profitable? barely but only by selling merch in a store. Not sure I see profits for a charger.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I think there will be more losers than winners in the charging economy. Are gas stations profitable? barely but only by selling merch in a store. Not sure I see profits for a charger.
    Many of them are subscription based so they do collect a monthly or annual fee. EVGO focuses on level 3 charges which can charge a car up to 80% in under an hour. I think they are getting alot of their electricity from solar. The big problem with gas stations is they have to buy the gas so they are subject to the price swings in the underlying commodity. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think many of these are going into shopping centers, universities, apartments etc. so I'm not sure how the payment structure works on that.

5. Member
    So, here in the north we have very cold winters, plus we can go weeks without seeing the sun, not to mention the short daylight days. If I’m sitting at one of these charging stations without my heater running, it’s going to be very uncomfortable. It will be the same for the people in the south without air conditioning in the summer. How does this work?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    So, here in the north we have very cold winters, plus we can go weeks without seeing the sun, not to mention the short daylight days. If I’m sitting at one of these charging stations without my heater running, it’s going to be very uncomfortable. It will be the same for the people in the south without air conditioning in the summer. How does this work?
    They will mostly be located at shopping centers, restaurants, Walmart, Whole Foods etc so most people will hook up and go inside shopping. Until the range of EVs go up most people are not going to find them practical for long trips. That is why I wouldn't buy an EV for myself but it might work to have one in the family as the run around town type of car.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure you can keep your heater running. And I think the goal is to have charging stations at places where you will be doing other things so you're not sitting in a car. Most people charge at home. I'm planning to charge at home 90% of the time, the campground most other times and maybe once or twice a year at a charger on longer trips.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Many of them are subscription based so they do collect a monthly or annual fee. EVGO focuses on level 3 charges which can charge a car up to 80% in under an hour. I think they are getting alot of their electricity from solar. The big problem with gas stations is they have to buy the gas so they are subject to the price swings in the underlying commodity. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think many of these are going into shopping centers, universities, apartments etc. so I'm not sure how the payment structure works on that.
    Are you saying that they have their own solar farms directing power to these units selectively, since level 3 is 480 volts which would mean a lot of juice in a hurry.
    Most solar farms in my area send their power to the grid, but they do offer special deals to communities, which would limit the price fluctuation you pointed out.

9. Member
    I'm pretty sure you can keep your heater running. And I think the goal is to have charging stations at places where you will be doing other things so you're not sitting in a car. Most people charge at home. I'm planning to charge at home 90% of the time, the campground most other times and maybe once or twice a year at a charger on longer trips.
    Boneil,
    If and when you do have the set up installed at your home, be sure to have a 220V with a minimum of a 30 amp breaker. This should give you a near full battery in about 8 hrs, and if you want faster, you will need to bump up to 480V, which apart from being extremely deadly, it is very expensive to install.

BTW, my thought is GOD forbid you have another incident like this past winter with power outage for a wk. How do you charge your cars then? time to get that pony out of the stables and settle up.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Are you saying that they have their own solar farms directing power to these units selectively, since level 3 is 480 volts which would mean a lot of juice in a hurry.
    Most solar farms in my area send their power to the grid, but they do offer special deals to communities, which would limit the price fluctuation you pointed out.
    i believe what they are doing is negotiating directly with the utility providers to have renewable energy used to power these.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Boneil,
    If and when you do have the set up installed at your home, be sure to have a 220V with a minimum of a 30 amp breaker. This should give you a near full battery in about 8 hrs, and if you want faster, you will need to bump up to 480V, which apart from being extremely deadly, it is very expensive to install.

BTW, my thought is GOD forbid you have another incident like this past winter with power outage for a wk. How do you charge your cars then? time to get that pony out of the stables and settle up.

If we lose power for a week how would I fill up my gas vehicles? I'm putting solar on my next house, so that would solve that issue anyways. And besides if it's nasty weather and the power is out, it's not like I'm gonna be traveling. Besides, I'm keeping my Ram also with the Rivian. An EV isn't there yet for hauling horses.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    If we lose power for a week how would I fill up my gas vehicles? I'm putting solar on my next house, so that would solve that issue anyways. And besides if it's nasty weather and the power is out, it's not like I'm gonna be traveling. Besides, I'm keeping my Ram also with the Rivian. An EV isn't there yet for hauling horses.
    I heard that there is rumors to make ICE vehicles illegal or at very least have severe CO2 taxes for users of ICE vehicle. It is going to be one hell of an interesting transition for everybody.
    I won't be selling any of my collection any time soon.

Look everyone including sportsman for sure want clean air and water with that said Fossil fuels are not going anywhere soon. The people who are so hell bent on everyone owning a EV doesn't realize that it takes a fuel to make the electricity to charge the car or truck. We use petroleum products for countless items including pharmaceuticals, various plastics, how many items in a EV car are made from petroleum products, etc, etc.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

14. Member
    Here in the north we mostly use natural gas to cook and heat our houses. In the summer our electric bills really soar due to the high cost of electricity. I have to believe there will not be any financial savings with EV. My wife and I drive about 5,000 miles a year, plus our Honda gets around 34mpg.

15. Member
    Interesting video on EV adoption and EV infrastructure.

16. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Interesting video on EV adoption and EV infrastructure.

It's not a bad video but the problem with that video and similar ones like it is that they quickly become outdated. It starts with talking about barriers to mass adoption. IMO, the only barrier is production. Tesla's are sold out 3 months in advance. The cyber truck is sold out for probably 2 years or more worth of production. The F150 lightning is sold out for atleast 1 year of production. People have been waiting 3 years for the Rivian. The consumer is transitioning before the manufacturers. And that will drive demand for infrastructure.
    Thanos was the hero

17. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Here in the north we mostly use natural gas to cook and heat our houses. In the summer our electric bills really soar due to the high cost of electricity. I have to believe there will not be any financial savings with EV. My wife and I drive about 5,000 miles a year, plus our Honda gets around 34mpg.

Yeah, you're probably many years away from an EV being financially advantageous. Electricity in my area is really cheap and gas not so much. I drive 17K miles per year, an EV will save me $2500 per year with gas where it is now.
    Thanos was the hero

18. Member
    It's not a bad video but the problem with that video and similar ones like it is that they quickly become outdated. It starts with talking about barriers to mass adoption. IMO, the only barrier is production. Tesla's are sold out 3 months in advance. The cyber truck is sold out for probably 2 years or more worth of production. The F150 lightning is sold out for atleast 1 year of production. People have been waiting 3 years for the Rivian. The consumer is transitioning before the manufacturers. And that will drive demand for infrastructure.
    The charging stations to me would be a big barrier though if you are doing any type of long trip or evacuating during a hurricane. If you have to worry about being able to re charge and the time it would take to re charge then those are two big problems for some people. Many people that own Teslas here, just use them for their daily commutes or running around their local areas which is what they would be good for. My daughter wanted to buy an EV but trying to drive from the midwest back to Florida and the lack of charging stations at school and her apartment didn't make it a feasible choice.

19. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Tesla is installing several thousand super chargers every few months. I'm sure other charging companies are doing the same. I doubt it will take long for adequate coverage for most people. But they need to be quick about it. If we get a scenario where the amount of EVs outpace chargers, the EV world could get some backlash.

Evacuating for a hurricane would certainly suck if you weren't prepared, but I'm guessing it sucks also if the gas station runs out of gas.
    Thanos was the hero

20. Member
    Just opened a small position on this. I will now be watching a bit closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast