Interesting clause in my Boat-US/Geico policy that is very worrisome

So, I was reading thru my policy details for my renewal with Geico and got to the exclusions stage.

A) Racing - I get it, if you race your boat, you don't get insurance. They do cover Fishing Tx's and get that you may be "racing" to your spot.
    B) Amphibious Vehicles - not covered while operating on land - yep, no issues
    C) Illegal Activities - Coverage will not apply while an insured boat is used for illegal activities. Didn't ask on this one but if you didn't have the right fishing license???? This is an iffy one, but ok.
    D) War and Nuclear Exclusion

This is where I have a problem, so I called and they CONFIRMED! read on

Coverage will not apply to loss, damage or expense caused directly or INDIRECTLY by:
    1. Radioactive contamination or nuclear reaction, or. well, I keep it on a nuclear power plant lake and if it goes boom, then the boat is a loss...ok can handle that
    2. War (declared or undeclared), Civil War, insurrection, revolution, RIOT, SOCIAL UNREST, piracy, or ANY CONSEQUENCE of these

WTF???? So I called and asked. If some BLM or other Social Justice group decides to loot/destroy boats where I keep mine, would I be covered.
    THE ANSWER WAS NO, it WOULD NOT. So, say some group blocks a major route with a protest and you are stopped. If an 18 wheeler then ram's you from
    behind, you are NOT covered (see the "any consequence of these")....

Ok, need new insurance that does NOT have these exclusions......That is the sneakiest exclusion writing by a lawyer I have seen in awhile.....

Where to go, price is NOT the primary concern, rather customer service, coverage and not having to worry about weird exclusions.....
    Last edited by Squire; 06-29-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

2. Member
    Contact seahorse underwriters in Alabama
    I've shopped every boat insurance out there and they have the best coverage by far and amazing customer service. Several pros use them. Premiums are way better than anyone else. I was paying 1200.00 a year through worldwide and it went down to 530.00 for better coverage....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I've shopped every boat insurance out there and they have the best coverage by far and amazing customer service. Several pros use them. Premiums are way better than anyone else. I was paying 1200.00 a year through worldwide and it went down to 530.00 for better coverage....
    Awesome, thank you.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    So, I was reading thru my policy details for my renewal with Geico and got to the exclusions stage.

A) Racing - I get it, if you race your boat, you don't get insurance. They do cover Fishing Tx's and get that you may be "racing" to your spot.
    C) Illegal Activities - Coverage will not apply while an insured boat is used for illegal activities. Didn't ask on this one but if you didn't have the right fishing license???? This is an iffy one, but ok.

Coverage will not apply to loss, damage or expense caused directly or INDIRECTLY by:
    1. Radioactive contamination or nuclear reaction, or. well, I keep it on a nuclear power plant lake and if it goes boom, then the boat is a loss...ok can handle that
    2. War (declared or undeclared), Civil War, insurrection, revolution, RIOT, SOCIAL UNREST, piracy, or ANY CONSEQUENCE of these

WTF???? So I called and asked. If some BLM or other Social Justice group decides to loot/destroy boats where I keep mine, would I be covered.
    THE ANSWER WAS NO, it WOULD NOT. So, say some group blocks a major route with a protest and you are stopped. If an 18 wheeler then ram's you from

Ok, need new insurance that does NOT have these exclusions......That is the sneakiest exclusion writing by a lawyer I have seen in awhile.....

Where to go, price is NOT the primary concern, rather customer service, coverage and not having to worry about weird exclusions.....
    I have a new boat policy with Geico as well and I noticed they have a lot of exclusions and limitations that make me wonder just how protected I am. Not to mention forcing you to join BoatUS along with its membership fee. When I looked at the benefits I don't believe there's anything that would ever apply to me except maybe the trailer roadside towing. Everything else seems geared more towards offshore and not inland freshwater lakes.

Racing is in relation to speed competitions. (shootout top speed runs etc). We run a fair amount of poker runs...we're covered on those...if we participate in the shootout we are not... The racing they are talking about is far faster than what a tx loaded bass boat can remotely achieve.

Geico is good for standard policies..ive had them on a couple cabin cruisers.

Find a foremost agent if you can...

Good on you for actually reading your policy. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Under my Progressive Boat Policy, the insuring agreement for physical damage says "If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for sudden, direct and accidental loss to a covered watercraft that is not caused by collision. A loss not caused by collision includes:1. impact with an animal (including a bird);2. explosion or earthquake;3. fire;4. malicious mischief or vandalism;5. missiles or falling objects;6. riot or civil commotion;7. theft or larceny;8. windstorm, hail, water, or flood; or9. breakage of glass not caused by collision. This gives you protection.

The War Exclusion you're concerned about is commonly found on property policies. It's excluded because it's basically an uninsurable event, no company could afford to pay for war claims.

My Progressive Policy says this:

"16. caused directly or indirectly by:a. war (declared or undeclared) or civil war;b. warlike action by any military force of any government, sovereign, or other authority using military personnel or agents. This includes any action taken to hinder or defend against an actual or expected attack; or18c. insurrection, rebellion, revolution, usurped power, or any action taken by agovernmental authority to hinder or defend against any of these acts;"

A civil riot is not an act of war. From WebCE: "So many people are asking — Does insurance cover riots and looting? The answer: Yes, standard insurance policies usually cover damage that results from rioting, looting, vandalism, and/or civil commotion. This would include damage caused by rioters as well as damage caused by the reactions of police and civil authorities during a riot."

As to the nuclear exclusion, my policy has this exclusion: "
    5. to any watercraft or trailer for which insurance:a. is afforded under a nuclear energy liability insurance contract; or b. would be afforded under a nuclear energy liability insurance contract but for its termination upon exhaustion of its limit of liability" This does sound different than yours but as you said, not a big deal.

Might want to check your policy again and see if it's like mine. If it's not, it's time to change.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I did the same last year for coverage and was very pleased until last month. My premium with Seahorse Underwriters went from $965 last year to $1213 to renew this year for same coverage. I've had no claims. Seems like they take care of new policy owners but increase it on renewals. I'm currently shopping for insurance again.

8. Member
    FYI- This is common language in your homeowners and auto policy too. "War (declared or undeclared), Civil War, insurrection, revolution, RIOT, SOCIAL UNREST, piracy, or ANY CONSEQUENCE of these"

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post

9. Member
    You have to be really concerned to get boat insurance for civil unrest. The probability of your boat falling victim to an attack is near zero.

10. Member
    Remember the Boston Marathon bombing? The shootout ruined this man boat in his backyard the suspect was hiding in. Think the city PD paid for it?.... Look how he had it replaced.

https://lakelandboating.com/boat-los...tout-replaced/

Quote Originally Posted by tajchauvin View Post
    You have to be really concerned to get boat insurance for civil unrest. The probability of your boat falling victim to an attack is near zero.