Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting clause in my Boat-US/Geico policy that is very worrisome

So, I was reading thru my policy details for my renewal with Geico and got to the exclusions stage.

A) Racing - I get it, if you race your boat, you don't get insurance. They do cover Fishing Tx's and get that you may be "racing" to your spot.
    B) Amphibious Vehicles - not covered while operating on land - yep, no issues
    C) Illegal Activities - Coverage will not apply while an insured boat is used for illegal activities. Didn't ask on this one but if you didn't have the right fishing license???? This is an iffy one, but ok.
    D) War and Nuclear Exclusion

This is where I have a problem, so I called and they CONFIRMED! read on

Coverage will not apply to loss, damage or expense caused directly or INDIRECTLY by:
    1. Radioactive contamination or nuclear reaction, or. well, I keep it on a nuclear power plant lake and if it goes boom, then the boat is a loss...ok can handle that
    2. War (declared or undeclared), Civil War, insurrection, revolution, RIOT, SOCIAL UNREST, piracy, or ANY CONSEQUENCE of these

WTF???? So I called and asked. If some BLM or other Social Justice group decides to loot/destroy boats where I keep mine, would I be covered.
    THE ANSWER WAS NO, it WOULD NOT. So, say some group blocks a major route with a protest and you are stopped. If an 18 wheeler then ram's you from
    behind, you are NOT covered (see the "any consequence of these")....

Ok, need new insurance that does NOT have these exclusions......That is the sneakiest exclusion writing by a lawyer I have seen in awhile.....

Where to go, price is NOT the primary concern, rather customer service, coverage and not having to worry about weird exclusions.....
    Last edited by Squire; 06-29-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax