Question Shifting Out Of Gear Issues ?

When at Idle shifting out of gear from forward or reverse the motor quits unless you are squeezing the Neutral Lock Bar. Normal or where do I start looking?
    2021 200 PRO XS
    Motor ID 3B051079
    Last edited by Jboutfishn; 06-26-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

What do you mean, “squeezing the safety”?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Maybe a little more clear:

You cannot shift into forward or reverse without "squeezing" the release on the bottom of the shift handle (Neutral Lock Bar). If the handle is not depressed (squeezed) the motor stops when shifting into neutral from forward or reverse.
    Last edited by Jboutfishn; 06-26-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

If I'm following you correctly ????
    Thats a safety feature to keep the boat from accidently being (bumped) into gear.

You shouldn’t be able to shift into gear without squeezing this. It’s a lockout to prevent it going into gear accidentally and is the neutral position to also engage the switch so it will only crank over if in neutral, just like a car

6. Member
    As stated in post 1 & 3, the question is when shifting out of forward OR reverse INTO Neutral.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

Well now that your post has been edited and is clearer, NO, that is not normal

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NOT normal.

You should only need to pull up on the release to move from NEUTRAL to any gear (Forward or Reverse). Shifting from Forward or reverse to neutral should be seemless and almost effortless, unless something is improperly set up.

Suspect that possibly there is a problem with the control, a cable connection in the control, or the shift cable is simply not adjusted properly.

NOTE: Throttle must be at the correct idle position when key is turned on, when starting, and when shifting. If even a slight amount of throttle is being input (such as occurs with an incorrect return spring tension or improperly setup hotfoot), shifting out of gear will be difficult and can cause stalling and/or faults.

Might want to get Harrison's to take a look at this before attempting to run it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hmmm, I have slid the hot foot way past the last spot, almost out of the the base. My own worst enemy?
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboutfishn View Post
    Hmmm, I have slid the hot foot way past the last spot, almost out of the the base. My own worst enemy?
    When I got my boat (same as yours), the hot foot was setup for about a four foot tall driver. I'm over 6' so needless to say I moved my hot foot forward quite a bit. Didn't cause any problems, but I did make sure I wasn't causing any tension on the throttle cable. Maybe something to look at?
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely need to check into that.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks all. I moved the Hot Foot back just enough to screw down, problem solved.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

13. Member
    Mine was doing that. 2021 Nitro Z19 with 200 pro xs. After starting the key stays in start position. When motor is in idle I return key to run and that solved it. Had nothing to do with hotfoot on my boat. Plus I was concerned when the guy said turn to start and let go, I was expecting key to return to run but it stayed at start. And every time I went back to neutral it cut off. So I tried it by moving it to run and well it stopped.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam365 View Post
    Mine was doing that. 2021 Nitro Z19 with 200 pro xs. After starting the key stays in start position. When motor is in idle I return key to run and that solved it. Had nothing to do with hotfoot on my boat. Plus I was concerned when the guy said turn to start and let go, I was expecting key to return to run but it stayed at start. And every time I went back to neutral it cut off. So I tried it by moving it to run and well it stopped.
    Keep in mind- Forum Announcements indicate ONE engine only (per thread). YOUR ignition switch needs to be replaced- it should return to the run position when released (and your engine's Smart-Start system does indeed require you simply turn key to start and release- Smart-Start system then takes over).

A malfunctioning ignition switch can cause faults- and CAN potentially be dangerous as well (abrupt and unintended engine shutdown if another signal is sent to the PCM).

15. Member
    You know I asked the dealer about that when I picked up my boat and he said that what it was supposed to do. I mean when I first did it I immediately turned it off and he asked me why I did that. I said well it’s like it was stuck and he said that is how it is. Hmmmm I will call them back and find out out what’s what.
    thanks