2002 Johnson 150 Timing Issues

I purchased a 2002 javelin 185 a few months ago and was told by previous owner that it sometimes had the dreaded "heat soak" issue sporadically. After spending all winter upgrading and doing general maintenance I took it out for the first time and it ran flawlessly and was pleasantly surprised by the performance. But, on about the 4th or 5th trip out it would die when attempting to accelarate for most of the day but then started running perfectly again. This scenerio has continued to occur all summer until I finally couldn't take it and tore into it.
    I found that with the throttle cable connected or not, the throttle dog was 1/8" from the linkage cam and the timing advance was leading the throttle by a lot. It actually looked to be 1/3 of the way advance before the trottle plates began to open. But after messing around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the timing advance mechanism wasn't even returning back to the same position each time so I dug deeper and found that I had some bigger problems. A cracked and destroyed fly wheel cover with the center completly missing. The optical sensor and pivot brackets look to be okay and not damaged.
    At this point, I have ordered a new flywheel cover and think that I can re-sink the throttle to timing advance but have no clue what could have caused the flywheel cover to get destroyed. I found some plastic shavings inside the cowling but could not find anything that could have possibly caused all the damage.
    Can any of you guys tell me how this could have occured and do I have a bigger problem that needs to be addressed? Pics Below and thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Someone has been leaning on the cover. There is a sticky on the top of the page that has the 60* linkage adjustment there with photos.

3. Member
    Thanks for the response and tip on sticky. I just can't see a way anyone could have leaned on the cover while it was running and the timing wheel in installed.

4. Member
    When you put the flywheel back on make sure to use lapping compound to clean the mating surfaces or you'll shear the key and mess up the timing. I went through 3 keys, learned the hard way.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    When you put the flywheel back on make sure to use lapping compound to clean the mating surfaces or you'll shear the key and mess up the timing. I went through 3 keys, learned the hard way.

Don't confuse a 60* components with a 90* motor. There is no taper on a 60* the flywheel is indexed with a roll pin and 5 bolts keep in place on the crank as opposed to a key way and flywheel nut.

6. Member
    I didn't remove the flywheel, only the cover and optical sensor/timing advance components. I also found that the outer sleeve of the roller was missing from the throttle dog, the reason for the gap between dog and cam. And just to make sure I'm sraight, my 2002 is a 60* motor? Also, where can I find a service manual for this engine? The only one I can locate is ebay and it's $199.00. I was hoping to find a downloadable version.

7. Member
    I also reached out to the original owner of the boat and questioned him about the hole in the center of the flywheel cover. He said that 2 of the 5 flywheel bolts broke for whatever reason..probobly over torque or bad bolts, but they slung arond inside the cover and wore the hole. He said he could hear them chattering around and found the problem. Replaced all 5 flywheel bolts that came pre-coated with lock-tite and retorqued them. He didn't replace the cover becuase he thought it would be okay.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number will tell you what you have. Seeing you didn't post a model number and just the model year of the boat. But rest assured the 90* motors do not have a flywheel cover and optical sensor they have open flywheels. Try www.outboardbooks.com. they bought all the hard copy manuals from BRP. www.selfixer.com may have them they are scanned factory copies that you can download. This is as close as I can get you https://www.selffixer.com/outboard.m...ual.520210.htm not much difference between that model year and yours only the motor covers have changed.

9. Member
    Very helpful man..Thanks for your time and input!