Evinrude 225 FICHT Inconsistent when Planing

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but have already found some great help perusing the forums.

I recently bought a Triton 200XP which has a 1999 Evinrude 225 FICHT (E225FPLEES) with a 4 blade Renegade prop from a friend for really cheap. I bought it knowing the motor has an issue that I will attempt to explain below by talking you through a day on the water with it.

Initial start up: Motor starts up well and will idle while beached at the ramp; it idles well and gets on plane easily when pulling away from the ramp. Runs great and will get to comfortable running speed quickly. Can trim up and wind it out as needed.

2nd Run: Motor will start up fine and typically will idle fine. However, when I go to get on plane, the motor seems really down on power. It will not gain RPMs until it gets on plane (if it gets on plane at all). At times, feathering the throttle or playing with the trim a bit can coax it into getting on plane, but these are inconsistent. If I am able to get it up on plane, it will run fine just like it did earlier in the day, until I let off the gas. Then it will sometimes, sputter, surge, back off, all of the above. Sometimes it will die out completely. After one of these episodes, it can be difficult to get the motor started and to keep it running. It doesn't sound like its choking for fuel. It will just cut off. From here, it's a roll of the dice if the motor will idle, stay running, and even come close to getting out of the hole.

The above will happen intermittently, sometimes the motor will act fine with a short wait, sometimes a long wait. I did have an instance today where when attempting to start the motor, I gave it a small amount of gas to get it running, from there it revved really high (didn't catch a specific RPM), I then let off of the pedal and it continued to rev high and then backed way off and suddenly died. During this my foot was completely off of the hot foot.

Things I know: Boat has new spark plugs and fuel filter. It has always had yearly service. It has a recent (within the last 3 years) new OEM CPU. It has not thrown any codes and mechanics in my area have been unable to come up with a diagnosis as everything appears fine on their end.

From my reading, I'm thinking maybe TPS?

Any help would be appreciated!

I would start with a compression check then check the 40Volt circuit. Also check the big blue capacitor. The PDP on those motors were known to have cold solder joints which make it difficult to troubleshoot but the fact that the problem appears once the motor warms up. Good luck!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2