Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 Ranger Z521C conversion to IONIC Lithium batteries

The following is my journey converting from lead-cell/AGM batteries to Ionic lithium setup on my 2014 Ranger Z521C/Yamaha SHO 250. After much research on numerous threads not finding what all I wanted, I’ll try and consolidate a lot of info here.

I purchased this boat used in 2019 with less than 50 hours and inherited a few issues. The battery / charger setup was:
    Optima D31M 59.8 lbs Cranking
    Interstate 27DC 50.3 lbs each Troll x 3 36v 150.9 lbs total
    MK 460 PC charger 17.5 lbs

Total of 228.2 lbs

Conversion to IONIC Lithium batteries / charger:

IONIC 4 bank charger 11.0 lbs
    IONIC 125 Ah 34.2 lbs Cranking
    IONIC 50 Ah 16.5 lbs Troll x 3 36v 49.5 lbs total

Total of 94.7 lbs

Weight reduction 133.5 lbs!

I made this conversion mainly because of battery performance, longevity, maintenance free, Bluetooth/App information, weight reduction, and discharge rate.

The port side battery storage area which held two Group 27/31 batteries now easily holds all three troll batteries. The Ionic 3 battery tray fits perfectly. The starboard side held the cranking and Troll 3 batteries, now holds only the Ionic cranking battery, leaving room for another battery for future growth. As you can see from the “before pics” it was a wiring mess. I had to purchase a 48” cable to go from the switch B2 to Troll 3. The IONIC APP works great and is a HUGE confidence booster knowing how much charge is available!

Day one test: 7 hours fishing on home lake Bob Sandlin in east Texas, resulted in Cranking 125Ah battery indicating 84% remaining, Troll 50Ah 1-3 indicating 88% each. Normal use of SHO 250, MK Fortrex 112, Power-Poles, 2 Helix 10’s, live wells, bilge pumps, lights, etc.

Andrew Council at DrewCraft.com was great with advice on 50Ah verses 100Ah Troll battery needs for my rig and type fishing. I took advantage of his Memorial Day sale and got a great deal. I am extremely pleased with this new setup and purchase!

JT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

2. Member
    Great writeup and a super clean install Do you notice any difference in boat performance (i.e. holeshot, ride, top end, etc?)?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Jpt, if you ever get a chance. Could you take a measurement of those 3 trolling batteries stacked together like that? Thx
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    Thanks for the post, great info. Curious how this affects performance. Did you do this on your own? How bad did it hit your wallet.
    thanks
    2016 Z521C Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Jpt, if you ever get a chance. Could you take a measurement of those 3 trolling batteries stacked together like that? Thx
    6.5" x 3 = 19.5"
    JT

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebone View Post
    Thanks for the post, great info. Curious how this affects performance. Did you do this on your own? How bad did it hit your wallet.
    thanks
    Battery Performance, not boat performance other than weight reduction. The Interstates for my MK Fortrex 112, were getting tired and could not get through a full day of use on a recent week long fishing trip on Toldeo Bend. And of course I really had no idea how much charge I had left at the end of each day. Now with the APP I can see all battery charge levels and status immediately.

Yes I did all the work myself.

The invoice is attached. Yes, it is an expensive investment!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JT

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Great writeup and a super clean install Do you notice any difference in boat performance (i.e. holeshot, ride, top end, etc?)?
    Yes, a much quicker nose drop during hole shots at the same trim setting I use all the time. I did not try and and run it out for a max top end speed. Normal top end for my rig is 68-70 mph depending on conditions.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 07-02-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    JT

8. Member
    I and almost thinking I need to lock the back box now LOL - 125 Ionic, 3 Relion 100's, power pole charge... I also did it for the battery performance vs boat performance. You will be very pleased with your new setup! I did run dedicated 8 gauge wire to my electronics as well (my Solix HB's are very sensitive to voltage).
    Last edited by MengRanger; 06-08-2021 at 05:31 AM.

9. Member
    Where did you get the terminal post extender in pic 4? I have been struggling to find a good one for my Ionic cranking battery.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinthegrass View Post
    Where did you get the terminal post extender in pic 4? I have been struggling to find a good one for my Ionic cranking battery.
    **** New link ****

https://lithiumhub.com/product/terminal-adapter/

https://drewcraft.com/product/terminal-adapter-2/

It is very stout and of good construction. Note, you will need 5/8” and 1/2” (smaller post) deep sockets. I will re-orient mine like in the link above.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 10-02-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    JT

11. Member

great, thanks.

12. Member
    I basically did the same with my z520c. I went with the 100ah for trolling motor just for the extra longevity as sometimes I fish sun up to sun down. Drew is
    great to work with.

13. Member
    Did you leave the battery switch wired the same as before (with jump capability?) I’m getting very contradictory advice about that from the various lithium companies/sellers I have contacted.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Did you leave the battery switch wired the same as before (with jump capability?) I’m getting very contradictory advice about that from the various lithium companies/sellers I have contacted.
    I did not change any wiring. I did have my battery charger reprogrammed for Lithium. Works great.

15. Member
    Thank you JT, per your advice and some additional research I ended up with the same battery package. I appreciate your advice.

Damon

16. Member
    Great information. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and include Pics. Looks Great!!

17. Member
    Any chance you have a picture with the 3 trollers there? Looking to do the same in my Z520C. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    I basically did the same with my z520c. I went with the 100ah for trolling motor just for the extra longevity as sometimes I fish sun up to sun down. Drew is
    great to work with.

18. Member
    https://lithiumhub.com/product/ionic...-battery-tray/

Surely a 20” x 13” tray with 3 - 100ah batteries would fit just fine.

BTW, lithiumhub is Drew’s supplier. This website just has more detailed information.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 02-25-2022 at 09:35 PM.
    JT

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The following is my journey converting from lead-cell/AGM batteries to Ionic lithium setup on my 2014 Ranger Z521C/Yamaha SHO 250. After much research on numerous threads not finding what all I wanted, I’ll try and consolidate a lot of info here.

I purchased this boat used in 2019 with less than 50 hours and inherited a few issues. The battery / charger setup was:
    Optima D31M 59.8 lbs Cranking
    Interstate 27DC 50.3 lbs each Troll x 3 36v 150.9 lbs total
    MK 460 PC charger 17.5 lbs

Total of 228.2 lbs

Conversion to IONIC Lithium batteries / charger:

IONIC 4 bank charger 11.0 lbs
    IONIC 125 Ah 34.2 lbs Cranking
    IONIC 50 Ah 16.5 lbs Troll x 3 36v 49.5 lbs total

Total of 94.7 lbs

Weight reduction 133.5 lbs!

I made this conversion mainly because of battery performance, longevity, maintenance free, Bluetooth/App information, weight reduction, and discharge rate.

The port side battery storage area which held two Group 27/31 batteries now easily holds all three troll batteries. The Ionic 3 battery tray fits perfectly. The starboard side held the cranking and Troll 3 batteries, now holds only the Ionic cranking battery, leaving room for another battery for future growth. As you can see from the “before pics” it was a wiring mess. I had to purchase a 48” cable to go from the switch B2 to Troll 3. The IONIC APP works great and is a HUGE confidence booster knowing how much charge is available!

Day one test: 7 hours fishing on home lake Bob Sandlin in east Texas, resulted in Cranking 125Ah battery indicating 84% remaining, Troll 50Ah 1-3 indicating 88% each. Normal use of SHO 250, MK Fortrex 112, Power-Poles, 2 Helix 10’s, live wells, bilge pumps, lights, etc.

Andrew Council at DrewCraft.com was great with advice on 50Ah verses 100Ah Troll battery needs for my rig and type fishing. I took advantage of his Memorial Day sale and got a great deal. I am extremely pleased with this new setup and purchase!

JT
    I have a 2014 z521c and I went with the starter 125 ah and trolling batteries are 3 x 125 ah Andy took care of me too and I fished 3 days totalling over 30 hrs and I was at 86% on my troll motor batteries and 84% on my starter battery im blown away at the difference wished I would have done it sooner, they also changed my holeshot and no more backwash from my pp brackets when dropping off plane, #RANGERSTRONG

20. Member
    Digging up an old post here but I'm really considering making the same move as the OP did. One of my Interstate TM batt's is showing signs of failure (no surprise as IMO Interstate batteries are a 4 letter word starting with j and ending with k). To the OP, did you purchase the battery trays from Drewcraft as well - a single tray for each battery? Given my style of fishing, the 50AH sound like a good compromise between weight, performance, and cost so that's the route I'll likely head. If you had it to do over again, would you go with the 50AH again or step up to the 100AH?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast