NFC and Kistler which blanks

Pre the 2020 designs when Kistler was building on NFC blanks does anyone know which model NFC blanks were used on each series of rods,

I know the Z Bone were the X-ray blanks, what were the Helium 3 and KLX ?

What were the feel and reel two tone blanks?

2. Member
    Kistler gets their blanks at NFC, but there is a better than even chance that the blanks and maybe the use of materials are of Kistler's own design. There is a place where the Kistler proprietory mandrels are kept seperate from the NFC, or any other mandrels are kept and the material recipes also.
    Kistler blanks are built at NFC, but they are not NFC blanks, they are Kistler blanks.

3. Member
    Kistler no longer gets blanks from NFC... he moved to an overseas supplier of blanks. I was on the phone with NFC three weeks ago and they were not too happy with the situation. Which makes me suspect some of the “Kistler” blanks were in fact NFC designs that now “may” have found their way to a new manufacturer.... just call NFC and talk directly with them and maybe they can shed some light on similar blanks you might be interested in. Helium and KLX were built on IM blanks. Z-Bone were HM before moving to the X-Ray. Feel and Reel were the Zentron Hybrid blanks. I’ve built on the heavy hybrid blank and have a mh on the way.
    Last edited by jbabin76; 06-04-2021 at 08:40 PM.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Member
    Thanks for the info, I have reached out to NFC asking this question but have not heard back from them as yet.

jbabin76, I knew Kistler no longer buys from NFC their new blanks is one reason I have started building rods again. I have used Kistler rods for years and always liked them but the new rods I just didn't care for.

Spoonplugger1, What you have stated is what I have been wondering but had no idea? I had read someplace that Kistler and G Loomis where both using (or in Kistler's case had been using) NFC blanks

jbabin76, What you have stated about the blanks that were being used by Kistler makes since, I used the Helium 3 and KLX for years and always liked them but I am now building and converting my "feel" rods Jig, drop shot, texas, wacky, neko, carolina and rods like that over to all Xray blanks I have built and now am thinking of building some for cranking, jerk bait, top water, spinner bait and so on and am considering different blanks than the xray.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have reached out to NFC asking this question but have not heard back from them as yet.

jbabin76, I knew Kistler no longer buys from NFC their new blanks is one reason I have started building rods again. I have used Kistler rods for years and always liked them but the new rods I just didn't care for.

Spoonplugger1, What you have stated is what I have been wondering but had no idea? I had read someplace that Kistler and G Loomis where both using (or in Kistler's case had been using) NFC blanks

jbabin76, What you have stated about the blanks that were being used by Kistler makes since, I used the Helium 3 and KLX for years and always liked them but I am now building and converting my "feel" rods Jig, drop shot, texas, wacky, neko, carolina and rods like that over to all Xray blanks I have built and now am thinking of building some for cranking, jerk bait, top water, spinner bait and so on and am considering different blanks than the xray.
    Not sure if they would respond in writing on the blanks, but if you call asking about some blanks then go into the experience with Kistler they might direct you.

I'm really not convinced that all Kistler rods where unique to them. I can easily identify some rods that are the same blanks you and I can purchase right off the NFC website. I've heard from many about custom mandrels and all, but I think it was more about utilizing NFC blanks and them being trimmed to Kistler specifications. Maybe they had some unique designs, but not all of them. no way.

To me at least, it's hard to identify the proper blank with NFC for just about anything other than trying to search online for builders experience. The numbering system is inconsistent. When you get into moving baits, there are other options that might be better than NFC. I will say I find the downloadable catalog to be a little better to reference than the online ordering database. I called asking specifically about the SB blanks and couldn't get a good answer as to what the SB's were designed for and how they would load differently than other blanks with the same listed action and power ratings. I wish they would have stuck with the old Loomis numbering system so we as builders would have a better confidence in ordering blanks.

6. Member
    Right now would be a great time to jump on some IM blanks with 75% off 3 or more rods... I've heard good things about the Delta blanks and they are extremely inexpensive. If I understand correctly, they are un-sanded IM (or SM) blanks... at least that's what I've heard them referred to as.

I ordered a few recently just to see how I like the actions of a few blanks... they were only $35 so pretty cheap way to get a feel for some.

7. Member
    I was thinking the same thing regarding the sale, I always liked the Kistler KLX rods, and at 75 per cent off you cant beat the price to build up an IM blank or a Delta Zentron .

Oh, jbabin76....I like your boat of choice as well, lol, I am in a 2004 Champion 206 Elite with a 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    There was a time when there wasn't such a huge amount of blanks out there and there were definite regional differences is blank design. Southern designs were more the "broomstick" many have probably heard about. The presentations were bigger, heavier and in trashier waters. Out west you seen softer tipped and lighter powered designs because of our cleaner, less trashy, deeper waters, presentations could be smaller, lighter, etc. This is where the SB blank came from, a blank with the flex profile of a mag bass blank, faster than a spin jig, and a bit more powerful. Many in fact just re- labelled their mag bass blanks, a 4 power spin bass was just their 3 power mag bass with a new sticker. Gary Loomis wasn't one of these, he designed SB blanks from 4 - 8 lb. test on up, some were his fastest actioned blanks. Shikari did similar a bit later. As the reels improved the need to fish those lighter presentations on spinning gear and lighter lines and calling them a special name faded into bass history, but the blanks still are viable. I have a few Loomis IM6 rods I use still for deepwater crappie and light line smallmouth simply because I haven't found anything better not even close.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 06-05-2021 at 10:25 AM.

9. Member
    I was thinking the same thing regarding the sale, I always liked the Kistler KLX rods, and at 75 per cent off you cant beat the price to build up an IM blank or a Delta Zentron .

Oh, jbabin76....I like your boat of choice as well, lol, I am in a 2004 Champion 206 Elite with a 250 Pro XS

10. Member

What blank did you end up with for your jig rod? I throw a 1/2 or 5/8 and the xray's blanks I have tried seem to be a little underpowered for a 5/8.

11. Member
    I don't think the Delta's are unsanded SM's, if you compare the specs a SJ705SM is 2.4oz and a SJ705Delta is 2.3, I'd think the unsanded blank would be heavier. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Deltas, I've built a bunch and for the sale price ($30-$40) they're great. The hybrid CB's are probably my favorite in the Deltas. The ridges are a little more pronounced than the ones on the XRays though. You can use A thread but when I'm building those I just use C and it works better for me.

12. Member
    on jig rods......i generally use my HM Flip 765 i have built three of these now and really like them for jigs in weed beds, flipping pockets and more open areas its a nice rod great feel the moderate action doesn't have the backbone to use in thick heavy punching situations but everything else its great.

one of my favorite blanks / rods has been the SJ765 xray i have several of these and built several for others, i use these for texas rig, power shooting in weeds, carolina rig in the weeds, and have used them jigging also

the third and also great jig rod just a little shorter is the SJ736 xray it has a little more backbone and the good feel and sensitivity as the above two

i would think any of these three would handle 1/2 to 5/8 jigs with no issues, i throw 3/8 up to 3/4 on these