Trim position dropping on new 225 SHO

I have a 225 SHO with about 40 hours on it. I've noticed the trim will drop over time while fishing or stored in the garage, eventually it will drop all the way down but takes a few hours to do so. Service departments are swamped at the moment so do you think this is something I can limp along until fall or will it get worse? There are no visible signs of leaks, fluid level is good, and the release valve is tight. More of an annoyance than anything at this point. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Member
    I just had the same issue on my 250. Some internet searching revealed that this is kind of a common issue on late-model SHOs. I have not had it on any of my other Yamahas. My dealer received a new tilt/trim unit from Yamaha under warranty and it is being installed now.

Mine stays on a toter in the garage so I don't know how far down it would have slipped, but while fishing, it would drop a little every minute or so. You could usually hear a "clunk" each time it would slip. I had to trim it back up every so often while fishing in shallow water. I don't know if it would have gotten worse or not. I'd at least see if your dealer can get the warranty ball rolling and then call you for installation when it comes in.

3. Member
    Thank you sir, that is exactly it. you can hear it clucking.

4. Member
    I have a 2015 and it did the same thing. The trim unit was rebuilt twice, failed both times, and was finally replaced under warranty.

5. Member
    Also check the trim release screw on the left side of the engine near the mount. I had similar problem after a service and the screw was like a 1/4 turn loose so it would trim down under power/bumps/waves
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Also check the trim release screw on the left side of the engine near the mount. I had similar problem after a service and the screw was like a 1/4 turn loose so it would trim down under power/bumps/waves
    I had this same issue, and dreaded the price tag of a new tilt/trim unit. Found this screw was loose and it made al the difference in the world.

7. Member
    My 250 SHo is brand new and I noticed it had dropped some in the garage the other day. I’ll check the screw. If it’s tight I’ll call the dealer..

8. Member
    Tightening the manual lowering screw fixed mine too.

9. Member
    The valve assemblies likely need to be replaced, had the same issue with my 2021 and that is what they needed to do.
    It needs 2 - part #: 63P-43802-21-00