60HP alternator output?

I posted this in the wrong section perhaps. Going to try my luck in here. Mods feel free to delete the other post in the Stock motors section if you would like.

So on my trip out the other day I went and started up the boat only to find a 12.6 volt output.

I did notice that prior to starting it I was at 12.0-12.1 volts so there was some charging going on. I just recently replaced the cranking battery with an X2power AGM 34 series for whatever it's worth. This is literally it's second trip out.

Eventually after running over 5000 rpm (which is where max output of 19 amps is supposed to occur) I found a system voltage of 13.0-13.1 volts. This was confirmed with my 12 volt outlet converted to 3 amp output USB charger conversion outlet as well as my driving GPS.

I called Mercury to see what the voltage should be at idle and they indicated it should be around 13.7-14.5 volts, which sounds about right. I also asked if the alternator also was okay with charging up AGM batteries which he confirmed they indeed were. They suggested doing a battery test first. This is a 2020 model outboard for those who will ask.

Any ideas what might be going on?
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. Member
    Did you fully charge the battery prior to use?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I have a 60 hp. I monitor voltage via vesselview mobile, so I’m not sure how precisely the output voltage is measured.
    when the battery is fully charged, I see voltages at the top of the range you indicated. For partially depleted batteries i see voltages below 14. And if the battery is very depleted I see voltage below the range you indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Did you fully charge the battery prior to use?
    No I did not. I usually just let the engine charge it when I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I have a 60 hp. I monitor voltage via vesselview mobile, so I’m not sure how precisely the output voltage is measured.
    when the battery is fully charged, I see voltages at the top of the range you indicated. For partially depleted batteries i see voltages below 14. And if the battery is very depleted I see voltage below the range you indicated.
    So do you think the voltages I posted on my own maybe due to a low charge on the battery?
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You badly need to charge between trips. The alternator voltage is limited by the current the battery is drawing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    As someone else posted, you should fully charge the battery then check the output.
    I have an onboard charger for my starting battery, so I always start out with a 100 % charge.

8. Member
    60 HP uses a stator. They really don't have much charging capacity. When I had one on a RT178, at the beginning of the day, the motor would produce 14 volts. But that would drop as the day went on.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    As someone else posted, you should fully charge the battery then check the output.
    I have an onboard charger for my starting battery, so I always start out with a 100 % charge.
    +1 and I always fully charge a new battery prior to use.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Wanted to bump this thread, is there a true alternator on the 4 cylinder 60 four stroke 60’s? Or stator?

is the available voltage limited to 14.5volts?

11. Member
    It has a stator. I have not seen above 14.5 volts on my vessel view.