Bass Tracker/ Pro 170 owners post up your average fuel economy!

I'm trying to get a proper gauge of how much fuel these 50/60 HP Mercury engines use. Throw up your own fuel consumption and tracking stats!

I have been tracking my fuel consumption against my trip odometer lately to try and figure out what sort of range I have and can't get a clear picture on the actual fuel economy of these things.

I filled up two outings ago when my trip odometer read 40.7 miles. The last trip had myself and a buddy on it, and this time was on my own. I have a total of 83.7 miles logged on my GPS unit which means I have went a total of 43.7 miles since fill up. Upon checking remaining in tank fuel, I found 3/4 left (I run a 12 gallon unit). I am almost constantly at wide open throttle by the way unless I'm in no wake zones or around rough areas that dictate I keep my speed slow. That would imply that I have used a total of 3 gallons and am doing 14.3 MPG on this thing. If this is actually the case that would further imply that I have a total range of 171.6 miles per tank before the tank is bone dry. Can these Merc 4 strokes actually be that good?
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. Member
    If you are using GPS distance do you have it on when fishing? You could be putting miles on it with your trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    If you are using GPS distance do you have it on when fishing? You could be putting miles on it with your trolling motor.
    I've been thinking about that and it was something I considered, but most of the time when I am using the troller I stay within a very small distance and once I am within a distance I want I typically set spot lock for long periods of time. So there isn't a whole lot of movement being done with the troller.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-23-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

4. Member
    Are you sure that the "GPS positioning wander" isn't adding to distance traveled, when in reality your not moving much? I am not 100% sure but there might be a way to filter out movement based on speed.

My setup is about 0.2 GPH at idle, but changes drastically when at 6K.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

5. Member
    I’ve ordered a 2023 Tracker pro 170 with 40 jet for fishing the Susquehanna river here in PA. The Mercury vessel view module that you can attach to your motor will send Bluetooth data to a phone app should give you all of this information and help you figure out your range. I have one on my Nitro Z8 with 250 pro XS four stroke.

6. Member
    I've also never checked the actual miles and the fuel consumed. For some reason I can't upload the screenshot from vessel view.

25 mph is 4100 rpm. Fuel consumption is 2.8 gallons per hour. That's 2.8 gallons for 25 miles. 8.92 mpg.

I usually cruise at 4500 rpm. This is 29 mph, and 3.3 gallons per hour. 3.3 gallons for 29 miles. 8.78 mpg.

I also checked at 30 mph. Fuel flow is 3.4 gallons per hour. 3.4 gallons, 30 miles, 8.82.

I'm not trimmed up at these speeds and rpm levels.

My top speed in normal weather is 38 mph.(39.5 in 22 degree weather) I'll check fuel flow at that speed but probably not tomorrow. The lake is up and full of floating debris. I never got over 15 mph today.

Classic XL, 50, 12 gallon tank, Terrova, active target, extended front deck. Probably ~100 pounds over factory. Stainless 14 pitch prop. Performance was the same with factory 14 pitch alloy. Rpm was slightly higher.

I'll check the fuel consumed compared to the distance of my tracks soon.

Added: I don't know if the fuel flow numbers in vessel view are accurate, but the gallons remaining are always exactly right. It shows 4.1 gallons left today. It took 7.9 gallons to fill my tank. My last fill up was Thanksgiving day. I can't check the miles, I've deleted my tracks.
    Last edited by Woody b; 12-03-2022 at 06:08 PM.

7. Member
    I've got some numbers. 3 tracks, 2 fill ups. I paused the tracks while I was on the trolling motor.

1st 2 tracks. 47.1 miles, 24.1 miles. 8.411 gallons to fill up. 71.2 miles. 8.465 mpg.

Next fill up. 1 track 31 miles. 3.638 gallons to fill. 8.521 mpg.

It was windy the first 2 tracks, calm for the 3rd. I did a 2 mile wide open run during the 2nd track also. 38.1 mph at 5810 rpm. Fuel flow is 4.8 gallons per hour.

I'm an automotive technician with a back ground in (automobile) racing. It takes ~1/2 pound of fuel per hour to make 1 horsepower. (in a perfect world tuned for mileage it could be as low as .4 pounds per hour but that's not going to happen) 60 horsepower would require ~5 gallons per hour. They run these engine a little rich so they don't melt anything. My 50 horsepower is using 4.8 gph at wot. I suspect a 60 would be around 5.5 gallons per hour in the real world.