Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

300XS Digital to Analog Trim Gauge conversion

Hi, All. I'm currently having a problem getting my analog trim gauge working. I have a 2012 300XS 1E051715 with the 14 pin harness. It has the 4 wire breakout at the adapter connector under the cowling. Trim up, Trim down, Analog temp and the Brown/white analog trim wire. I get no reading out of the Brown/white wire. This outboard has the heavy duty mid with the digital trim sender.
    What do I need to do in this situation to get the analog trim gauge working? The part number 8M0111837 converter Has different wire colors than the digital sender on my set-up. Smartcraft is not an option. I would have to re-work the entire dash and scrap all the nice Livorsi gauges.
    Thank you, Hope you can help.
    Last edited by L78steve; 05-20-2021 at 09:45 AM.

2. Member
    I called Don and he hooked me up, I also switched from digital to analog myself.....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    Thanks Ron. I'm glad to hear its possible.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L78steve View Post
    Hi, All. I'm currently having a problem getting my analog trim gauge working. I have a 2012 300XS 1E051715 with the 14 pin harness. It has the 4 wire breakout at the adaper connector under the cowling. Trim up, Trim down, Analog temp and the Brown/white analog trim wire. I get no reading out of the Brown/white wire. This outboard has the heavy duty mid with the digital trim sender.
    What do I need to do in this situation to get the analog trim gauge working? The part number you posted above has different wire colors than the digital sender on my set-up. Smartcraft is not an option. I would have to re-work the entire dash and scrap all the nice Liversi gauges.
    Thank you, Hope you can help.
    I believe your engine has the single-ram (offshore) midsection, correct?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I believe your engine has the single-ram (offshore) midsection, correct?
    Correct.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The Digital to Analog kit is designed for models the traditional (port-side) mounted trim sender.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The Digital to Analog kit is designed for models the traditional (port-side) mounted trim sender.
    Is there anything I can Do? The brown/white wire is there. Just no signal. Will the 892486K08 AGI do what I need? I realize I would have to mount it under the cowling to prevent having to replace the harness between the engine and helm. Mount it at the wiring adaptor.
    Last edited by L78steve; 05-20-2021 at 08:07 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, you COULD use an AGI. However, you can't just plug it directly into the engine. You must have a Smartcraft NETWORK, complete with terminating resistors and at least ONE open 10-pin port to plug in to. By that point... a Smartcraft Instrument is a plug-and-play application.

9. Member
    Doesn't the 892486KO8 kit have everything I need to do the Job? Resistors included? I have the Smartcraft port under the cowl hooked to nothing.
    Or should I just bring it to your shop?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No.

11. Member
    I believe I will try the 8M0111837 converter first and see if I can get it to work. Even though It's not for the sender I have. I don't think the converter will know what engine its installed on. Its just a 0-5 vdc to resistance converter.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're correct in terms of the voltage. Only real difference is which side of the engine the sensor is mounted on (whether the sensor's output is as-expected by the converter, or "reversed").

13. Member
    Its a $50 dollar experiment. The 3 ram sensor is reversed in relation to the single ram due to opposite side mounting. But a swap of 2 wires should reverse the reading.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's correct- they had to do that with the 1.5L Optimax (an adapter that swapped polarity). That could potentially cause some problems as the PCM may believe the engine is trimmed up when it's full down, but like you said, it's an experiment and might work. Good luck... be sure to share the outcome!

15. Member
    I'm thinking flipping the wires into the converter and then flipping them back on the output side going to the PCM. I just don't understand why the Brown/white out of the PCM isn't providing the needed output for the analog gauge.
    I'll let you know the outcome.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Brown w/white doesn't come from the PCM. That is the wire that would carry an ANALOG signal (PCM doesn't process analog trim signals).

17. Member
    I couldn't trace the Brown/white, it disappears in the harness but appears to head up toward the PCM. Is there a wiring diagram for this outboard that I can purchase?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be one in the Factory Service Manual...

Brown w/white stripe runs from up by the oil pump, into the engine harness and goes to the keyswitch harness connector (14 pin).

19. Member
    The manual I have is, 300XS Optimax #13 service manual 90-8M8020345. Has everything except the wiring diagram.

20. Member
    Have to get diagnostic manual
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast