Troubleshooting electric kerosene forced air heater

from my brother's estate. I've never used one. Almost looks new.

I plug it in, turn thermostat to high, and it kicks on and blows for 5 seconds then shuts off. It's not blowing hot for that short period it does blow, but I don't know whether it should that quickly. Any ideas what may be wrong?

try to repair it?
    Junk it?
    Sell for parts?
    Give away?

heater 1.JPG

2. Banned
    Flame sensor or some safety kicking it out

Is there a brand name? Google it and find out who sells them. It looks nice, but if it came from Horror Freight, I'd probably recycle it. You might look for YouTube videos on them.

I don't have one, and never operated one, but worked in machine shops where they had to run them in Winter when it got abnormally cold, or the furnace was out of commission. If you are concerned with Carbon Monoxide, I wouldn't use one, or would use extra caution to let fresh (cold!) air into the building. I'm not a fan of these things, but opinions will vary.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

sounds like it's not getting fuel to light off and it does not start in so many seconds it will kick off,,,,, some have a small fuel filter that will stop up over time,,, should be lots of info on youtube as most of those are built the basic same way,, and I assume you have enough fuel in it ?

have 1/8 tank of fuel. Desa brand model R110BT. My initial thought is it's not igniting. I don't hear any swooshing ignition sound, just the blower kicking on. I'm thinking fuel filter, fuel delivery, igniter, or ignition control module. Not sure how to check the igniter or control module.

heater diagram.JPG

There's a bunch of troubleshooting videos on youtube for those. Search for "torpedo heater" and watch a few of them. Helped me get mine running again. They aren't all that complicated.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    have 1/8 tank of fuel. Desa brand model R110BT. My initial though is it's not igniting. I don't hear any swooshing ignition sound, just the blower kicking on. I'm thinking fuel filter, igniter, or ignition control module.

heater diagram.JPG
    Mud dauber nest in the flame sensor is a common problem. Air pressure can be a bear too. Take the top cover off and see if it lights then. Can point to air pressure problems. They are simple, but not like much else most people have worked on so it’s a lot of new stuff.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    You are not the only one with the exact problem and people love to share. Google the name and symptom key words. I bet someone has posted the fix.

9. Member
    Add more fuel and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Perchpro View Post
    Add more fuel and try it again.
    This ^^^^^

1/8 tank is not enough to keep mine running ,, it will light then blow a big puff of black smoke and shut off,,, fill up and it works good again

I'll take a wrench to it later today.

Should the heater be blowing hot air within the first few seconds?
    Should I be able to hear a flame igniting?

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I'll take a wrench to it later today.

Should the heater be blowing hot air within the first few seconds?
    Should I be able to hear a flame igniting?
    They use a carbon cane pump to pump the fuel. That was the problem with mine. The vanes were broken.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I took the top of the tube off to observe it, and it actually ignited and ran for a couple of minutes until I shut it off. Then on subsequent restarts it would ignite but quickly go out then shut down. It looked to be a strong spray of kerosene feeding it. I think I'll check the fuel filter, and dump and put in fresh kerosene.