Started an overhaul on an 87 tracker tx 175

My dad and I bought this boat together like 15 years ago when we lived in Colorado I was 18 at the time. When he moved back to MI I told him to just take it with him as he’d get more use out of it. Fast forward 4 years I move back and find the boats been outside in MI with no cover ever..... there’s moss growing in it, and holes in the carpet all over. we go fishing and I step through the front casting deck. Cut a piece of ply screwed it down on top to get through the summer. And vowed to myself I’d fix the thing right. I’ve got a few days into stripping it down. Man getting the glue off the aluminum is a real bitch. The pour foam under the center deck and front casting deck was crazy wet and heavy, so I decided to cut open the sides on the back deck and pull that foam out as well and I’m glad I did. I’m guessing the boat was riding lower in the water than designed with all that weight from the water logged foam. Found a good deal on market place for 2x2x1/8” aluminum angle I will be extending the front deck adding storage and building a battery box next to the console for ease of wiring. thinking it will help balance the boat putting 2 batteries in the center. Using 3/4 exterior grade plywood and the old timers sealing recipe. Pops says he’s helping but he seems to be just drinking beer and talking to me while I work on it in my garage lol. figured I ’ve read a lot of educational stuff on this site so I’d start a thread about the job. Any pointers or tips will be welcome. I’m not scared of criticism if there’s need for it because I’d like this to last a long time. It will be covered after its done lol. This is my first go at restoring/remodeling a boat. Hoping I’ll have time to finish it in the next month and get back on the water, but that may be a tall order with work and my daughter.
    Last edited by Mj154; 04-25-2021 at 09:38 PM.

2. Moderator
    Cool project. Keep us updated.

Welcome to BBC
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

4. Member
    Thanks guys I’ll post updates when I can. I’m hoping to get to the main foam work and some framing this week.

5. Member
    pics no work...
    Last edited by one-over-par; 04-30-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: pics no work...
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

6. Member
    The picture links aren’t working for me. I appreciate you trying though but I’m open to any and all ideas and suggestions I’ve got it laid out in my head but can always change lol

7. Member
    Finally found a little time to work on her again. Was able to reinforce the framing on the orignal front deck. Got the ply and hatch lid cut for the original area as well as the main deck. Started the water proofing process and put the frame work back together where the middle seats go. I was surprised how many rivets were broken when I stripped this thing down. Where both center seats go everything was hanging on by just a couple rivets. But than again it is 34 years old. On the front deck where the hatch is going I bought offset piano hinges so I don’t have to try and drill end grain and expect it to last. I dropped the cross support an 1/8” used a couple aluminum flat pieces for edge shims and I’m gonna position the hinge in the center so hopefully it all sits flush. In a few days when waterproofing is finished I’ll get the main deck carpeted so I can put it in and continue forward. But it’s def going back together faster than it came apart and got rid of the original glue lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The boat restoration forum might be a good place to get advice. Some of the work I see posted is just amazing and I'm sure plenty of old Trackers have gone through a renovation similar to yours. When you are done the boat will be better than originally built.

9. Banned
    I did a 2008 Xpress H51 a few years back.

Once I stripped it down:
    xpress striped down.png

finished product:
    xpress at dock.jpg
    xpress at dock 3.jpg
    xpress at dock 2.png

10. Member
    Looks great man I’m hoping mine will too if it turns out the way I want than in the future I’ll order fresh decals and stuff too.

There was a member here that had the forum name of "gatorglenn". He did a boat like your's and it looked great. He took it all the way down to bare metal. He documented everything and did several reports and posts. It was very thorough and it looked like a good job. You might do a search using his name and see what you can find. He did a good job and detailed it.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

12. Member
    Thanks Tcesni I took your advice and started a thread on the restoration forum I’ll be posting updates there from now on if anyone’s interested as I think it is a more proper place for it. And also thanks to Panama I looked up gatorglenn, that dude is an animal my god everything down to a full paint job. He transformed that rig and I woulda fished it like it was for years. I’ll be reading some more of his stuff too but idk that I have that amount of time and resources lol. I will say even though this project is probably only half way through I think I’ve got the bug and I’m currently on the hunt for a 18’ deep V that’s been neglected and someone wants to punt for next to nothing. With the insight from this I think it would be an awesome project for next winter.