Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Meat may be a little tough to come by at times

Was told it was getting hard to get chicken through the processing plant because workers won't so up for work because of checks coming in the mail. I was in a grocery store on Thursday and they had no pork other than bacon. Saw this sign yesterday morning.

Thanking God every time I go to the lake

2. Member
    No issues here. Food supply is one thing I am NOT worried about.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    No issues here. Food supply is one thing I am NOT worried about.
    Same here, we can get whatever we want.

This same time last year yep, could not find a chicken. Now, no problem. Also could not find steak or ham this time last year, but could find briskets and Boston butts. It was strange what was in short supply.

I haven't seen a problem here.
    Long time listener, First time caller

I wouldn’t think they would be eligible to get stimulus checks. I know case farms goes to Central America to recruit their workers.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Same here, we can get whatever we want.
    Haven't had an issue finding meat of any kind in the store.

That said, the prices here have jumped markedly on all meat recently, ball park of $1+ per pound.

I usually stick with Publix, but if they don't have a sale on meat I'm starting to branch out to other stores.

8. Member
    There's lots of AG related things in short (or out of)supply, but with less then 2% of the population in AG the general population never hears about it.

9. Moderator
    Plenty here.

10. Member
    I don't blame them. Who wants to slaughter and process chickens for $10/hr in a cold environment? The Keystone chicken place in Albany, KY is hiring. Dale Hollow Lake is closeby.

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Was told it was getting hard to get chicken through the processing plant because workers won't so up for work because of checks coming in the mail. I was in a grocery store on Thursday and they had no pork other than bacon. Saw this sign yesterday morning.

11. Member
    Haven’t seen any difference here. The local Walmart meat shelves were full with all pork, ham, and chicken products. Granted our Walmart serves an area of 4 towns with a combined population that’s less than what most consider a “small town” on here so we never have any issues with shortages.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    Only difference so far is the price! While COVID was going so strong it was harder to get than normal but there is plenty of any meat available here. It is just a good bit more expensive.

13. Member
    Bojangles need to go out of business. The 1 by us is needs to see burgers because the chicken is garbage.

14. Member
    We had two Bojangles around here. Both didn’t last a year.

15. Member
    Prices may be a little higher but no problems here.

Bojangles is very popular here. Better than kfc and their breakfast is pretty good.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and an abandoned cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post

You were told by whom? The VP of Purchasing for Bojangles?

18. Member
    Get what you need for Memorial day now. Pork my be nest for that very reason. If check's show up in the mail and magically appear would anyone want to stand in blood????

19. Member
    I was told recently by a person who would know that his food broker had told him to EXPECT a significant increase in food prices in the near future due to supply issues because they can't find workers. He said the broker told him to expect some things to double in price and others triple. My friend owns restaurants and buys food through the broker, He also is having trouble finding labor. He does catering in addition to the restaurants and he says he's having to turn down catering jobs because of lack of labor.

With all that's going on and not going on you really should be wary about the availability of anything. We've got about 30% of the population in this country working. Of that the ones qualified to drive trucks, cut meat, run farm machines, and anything else requiring skill is getting smaller and smaller. There's a lot of broke down grey headed guys carrying the load. The kids coming on aren't picking up the torch. They won't work, won't get any skills, just demand money. At some point there's not going to be enough trucks, electricians, carpenters, farmers, and the like to keep the country running.,

20. Member
    Around here it seems no one can get enough workers. I have seen many ads paying $15 to start and a hiring bonus up to $1000. Even the poultry plants around here start at $15. Businesses running ads on tv trying to get workers. It's crazy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast