Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Lithium-Ion is not a specific battery, but is a general class of battery of which Lithium Iron Phosphate is a variety. The chemistry of all is very similar with a lithium metal oxide as the cathode and lithium carbon material for the anode and utilizing a solution of a lithium salt such as lithium perchlorate as the electrolyte. As the lithium ions move from anode to cathode, electrons flow the other way generating power. This is why they are called lithium-ion batteries. Anode and cathode materials distinguish the types. Lithium Iron Phosphate, lithium Manganese Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Manganese Oxide and a few more I can’t think of are all commercially used forms of lithium-ion batteries.
    Nice of you to share your wisdom. I appreciate hearing from the engineering community to get a thorough explanation from people that have years of experience and knowledge from a given field.

The Mercury bulletin has been out for quite some time. I cant imagine Mercury not putting out the disclaimer. With the amount of motors they sell and the lithium battery popularity exploding. Mercury could possibly be on the hook for alot of electrical issues related or associated with lithium battery’s.

Having said that we know of several companies that make a great lithium starting battery with the correct BMS. I’m sure Mercury is doing alot of research and development in this area as it is the future. If we think the Mercury Pro’s are running lithium batterys just willy nilly we might be a little naive.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The Mercury bulletin has been out for quite some time. I cant imagine Mercury not putting out the disclaimer. With the amount of motors they sell and the lithium battery popularity exploding. Mercury could possibly be on the hook for alot of electrical issues related or associated with lithium battery’s.

Having said that we know of several companies that make a great lithium starting battery with the correct BMS. I’m sure Mercury is doing alot of research and development in this area as it is the future. If we think the Mercury Pro’s are running lithium batterys just willy nilly we might be a little naive.

Out of curiosity, what is the correct BMS and who are the companies making them? I would think any lithium company that knows for sure there

wouldn’t be any issue would be marketing the hell out of that fact. I’m not saying their isn’t any out there but I’ve yet to see one come right out and say it...maybe guarantee it (in writing) and have the crowds flocking to buy their battery, I know I would be in line
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    LiFePo batteries are Lithium-Ion batteries.

Yes!

The lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO
    4 battery) or LFP battery (lithium ferrophosphate), is a type of lithium-ion battery using LiFePO
    as the cathode material, and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic backing as the anode.

5. Member
    Seems that there is as much confusion about lithium batteries as there is about lead acid batteries.

Different types of lithium batteries and different types of lead acid batteries.

Mercury specifies one type of lead acid battery and no type of lithium battery. So far.

Nonetheless, many Mercury motors run just fine on battery types not recommended by Mercury.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sooooo, people question whether or not if you can run a Merc on a Li battery. The man posts a link to a service bulletin where MERCURY says NOT to use Li batteries.......Mercury is saying not to use it, not the messenger, and yall still argue.....

In the end like everything else, it's your own choice to do what you want to do but don't cry when there is an issue....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the correct BMS and who are the companies making them? I would think any lithium company that knows for sure there

wouldn’t be any issue would be marketing the hell out of that fact. I’m not saying their isn’t any out there but I’ve yet to see one come right out and say it...maybe guarantee it (in writing) and have the crowds flocking to buy their battery, I know I would be in line
    Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries have been engineered to work with overcharging issues that different outboard marine motors have.” “Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries will work with outboard motors including Mercury and Yamaha.”
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member

9. Member
    [QUOTE=fishin couillon;11841702Mercury is saying not to use it, not the messenger, and yall still argue..[/QUOTE]
    Indeed they Mercury are saying to use only an AGM lead acid battery.

But I don't see any arguing here. Just some folks saying that they are using lithium batteries with their Mercury motors and all is well. While some folks say they have had a problem using a lithium battery with their Mercury motor.

Each boater will have to decide for themselves what to do. And as you say, if they don't work with a particular Mercury motor, don't go blaming Mercury.

Would be nice if Mercury would address the issue in greater depth. But in fairness to Mercury, maybe they just don't know.

10. Member
    So, just keep an old outdated boat anchor of a battery handy to swap out if there's ever a problem, got it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Sooooo, people question whether or not if you can run a Merc on a Li battery. The man posts a link to a service bulletin where MERCURY says NOT to use Li batteries.......Mercury is saying not to use it, not the messenger, and yall still argue.....

In the end like everything else, it's your own choice to do what you want to do but don't cry when there is an issue....
    Drew says you can

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Drew says you can
    And many seem to be doing it successfully.

My owner's manual of a different brand tells me to obey all boating laws and regulations. I don't. Shame on me.

13. Member
    Everybody has the right to their opinion just like everybody has the freedom to purchase whatever battery they feel most comfortable with. I’m not trying to agree or disagree with others in this thread as this topic has been beat to death. However this is my personal experience: I’ve got a 2020 Merc 250 4-stroke and been using an Ionic 125ah starting battery along with (3) 100 ah trolling batteries for almost a year with zero issues. In addition, I was using the same Ionic 125ah starting battery on a 1999 Johnson 200 for well over a year with zero problems! I got mine from Drewcraft. He can share many other objectionable testimonies from numerous satisfied customers. I can run (2) Helix 12’s, (2) Helix 10’s, Mega 360, live wells, stereo, and phone chargers all day and when I get back to the dock my Bluetooth app says my starting battery is 92%. I can go fishing 4 times without ever charging my batteries. 8 year warranty. I am happy with the choice I made.

14. Member
    I'd have loved to put a lithium starting battery in my boat after just changing my ghost over to lithiums. I talked to Drew and he said plenty of people using the Ionic for the HPDI and SHO Yamaha's but I never found anything on here saying that anyone was using one on the OX66 250's and Drew wouldn't guarantee that the Ionic would work. I needed a new cranking battery so I just played it safe and upgraded from a flooded battery to a X2 Power.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Im so tired of hearing this honestly. Mercury will not void a warranty if a lithium iron phosphate dedicated cranking battery battery is used. This comes right from a dealer who services Mercury as well as sells and installs lithiums. Note the words "Lithium Ion". Not LiFePo4...lithium ion is a very unstable chemistry. Lithium iron phosphate is super stable. It was also written before Lithium iron Phosphate dedicated cranking batteries with the correct BMS to handle the large voltage spikes from the 4 stroke outboards alternators were developed.
    The bulletin clearly states "AN AGM BATTERY MUST BE USED" not "AGM or LifePO4"...

The bullet is dated 2021-06 meaning its a NEW bulletin in 2021.

It also says "Warranty claims may be denied if the damage was found to be caused by the use of Lithium batteries."

If the BMS disconnects itself from the alternator while the outboard is running full song it would likely damage all electronics attached to that battery during load dump.
    Not to mention the loss of Power Steering that would occur making it much more difficult than normal to control your boat!
    Last edited by 06x6spdGTO; 04-26-2021 at 09:11 AM.

16. Member
    Service Bulletin 2021-06.
    Is this a piece of paper sent out to dealers? I cannot find it on the net anywhere.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Is this a piece of paper sent out to dealers? I cannot find it on the net anywhere.
    Dealers only and not supposed to be posted for the public.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Dealers only and not supposed to be posted for the public.
    Well hell, most people replace their own batteries. They might want to let that out.

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Well hell, most people replace their own batteries. They might want to let that out.
    I believe, and I’m not a Mercury dealer or owner of a late model Merc, that current owner’s manuals say AGM batteries are required.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    At 0:57, is that his crank battery or just an accessory battery? Interesting parking spot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast