Question Repowered 2005 TR21 with 250 4 stroke Pro XS - Props?

I have done some searching on the site and haven’t come across a similar repower to my hull. I am going to start break in this weekend and wanted some advice on what props I should buy.

Boat: 2005 Triton TR21
    Jackplate: 10inch Bob’s jack.
    Anchors: PowerPole Pro Series 2 (x2)
    New motor: 250 ProXS Mercury 4 Stroke (3B039137)

I used to run a 26 Tempest (that was worked by Mark) on the old 250 ProXS Race Merc until it popped. Boat would run 70-76 mph depending on load and conditions.

I have read I will need to drop possibly 2 pitch on the new 250 ProXS 4 Stroke. Any of you guys have any advice? What should I run in a Fury 3 blade? Fury 4 blade? Tempest? Which would be best? What pitch? Holes plugged?

I would like to try two props so I will have a backup.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

a 23p fury 3 would be a great prop year round, possibly a 24P...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    23P Fury-3 or 24P Tempest Plus should provide pretty good performance on that setup.

Start with little (or no) PVS openings, as the V8's usually don't require any considerable amount. Perfectly acceptable to use them, but not required.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for the advice. I was able to complete the first two hours of break in with a 3 blade 25 pitch Fury. Holes all open (no plugs). Hole shot was not great but I could probably live with it.

Once I got the first 2 hours out of the way I opened it up a few times and my top speed was only an average of 73ish mph (71 against the current and 75 with the current).

My question now is if I drop to a 23 or 24 pitch won’t I lose speed? Also what would you suggest in a 4 blade?

I feel like I should be able to run at least 75mph with how the hull used to run with the old Opti max.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While we understand you're thoughts of/on speed- the actual ENGINE RPM'S are even more critical. Better yet: Smartcraft RPM's, GPS Speed and Water Pressure at WOT RPM's.

You don't change props strictly for speed. PROPER propeller selection matches a propeller to the engine and rig that will get it into the upper end of it's RPM range with the lowest possible slip.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor