What's for Lunch? (maybe dinner too lol)

Been a hot minute since I've been able to step back in here. In 2019 I opened a BBQ restaurant and happy to say we are going very strong still even though our state has made it very difficult for restaurants to remain afloat.

Made my version of Gumbo today as a special, now I'm sure I'm gonna get roasted by those who live in cajun country but hear me out.

Base: Fried up some house cured bacon with some garlic, added in green pepper, onion and celery along with some cajun seasoning. Made a dark roux that took an hour and 45 to get the color I wanted (still turned out lighter than I wanted). Home made chicken stock deglazed the pan and added the roux to the mix along with our smoked chicken and our smoked sausage which isn't quite andouille but damn good. Let is set in the warmer overnight to slowly simmer and damn the flavors that developed are amazing.

Any who, what's cooking today guys?

2. Member
    I would have to taste it to confirm but I’m getting hungry just looking.... well done. Good to hear you made it through the challenges so far, last year has been brutal for many small business.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I'm not expert on Cajun cooking, but it sounds and looks delicious sir!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I would have to taste it to confirm but I’m getting hungry just looking.... well done. Good to hear you made it through the challenges so far, last year has been brutal for many small business.
    I usually don't end up eating most of what I cook for the restaurant but this one I had to have a small bowl after my initial tasting portion. Very rare to see me eat here but when I do the regulars know to follow suit, that is other than our everyday menu which is great all the time.

Though the difficult times we have found a way to be successful to the point that we have outgrown our building and as of Monday took ownership of a new restaurant (currently we only have a drive thru and 4 seats inside) to expand our venture, we are blessed everyday to be able to provide for our customers and in turn provide for our families.

5. Member
    Congrats on the biz. Looks tasty.

Care to share a super secret brisket rub
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Congrats on the biz. Looks tasty.

Care to share a super secret brisket rub
    Salt, pepper and granulated garlic....seriously

8. Member
    I'm happy to see a man versed in the culinary arts, and able to survive this stressful time still in business.

Cajun or not, that looks good! Glad to hear your business is doing well

10. Moderator
    Looks good to me.

11. Banned
    Gumbo looks great. Glad to hear Biz is going good for you!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'm happy to see a man versed in the culinary arts, and able to survive this stressful time still in business.
    Thank you, we stay active in the community and during this time we fed a lot of people without taking any money in return, our community has stepped up and supported us and helped with our outreach to those impacted over the last year.

As of this week, we have closed on a bigger building and will have a bar/restaurant opening in a few months. I would not be where I'm at now without a whole lot of faith and a whole lot of uplifting people surrounding us.

13. Member
    looks great...i had a donut.