Thread: Circuit Breaker

Circuit Breaker

I have a mid 80s Champion(I believe is an 86 17FS) that has some electrical issues. A horn has been installed on the ACC circuit breaker, but is getting no power. I'm assuming that breaker isn't working. If I get some time tomorrow I'll verify that is the issue. I was able to get the lights working by moving the connection from the aerate circuit breaker into the lights toggle switch, so it looks like the lights circuit breaker has had it. Is there any way to replace these? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I can hear the fuel pump turn on whenever the power toggle is flipped to the on position. Is this normal or should it only be on when the key is on?

2. Member
    Bump

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hey, gang! Can y’all help here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ-rookie View Post
    I have a mid 80s Champion(I believe is an 86 17FS) that has some electrical issues. A horn has been installed on the ACC circuit breaker, but is getting no power. I'm assuming that breaker isn't working. If I get some time tomorrow I'll verify that is the issue. I was able to get the lights working by moving the connection from the aerate circuit breaker into the lights toggle switch, so it looks like the lights circuit breaker has had it. Is there any way to replace these? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I can hear the fuel pump turn on whenever the power toggle is flipped to the on position. Is this normal or should it only be on when the key is on?

https://www.westmarine.com/circuit-breakers
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    Perfect! Thanks for the link.

6. Member
    Just be careful with electrical. Have someone check it twice. Breakers won't trip if not right, then fire. Don't ask me how I......

7. Member
    Well here goes, and this is from memory! 1986 would not have had circuit breakers, only fuses. Also the Fuel switch on the dash panel turned power on to everything else except ignition, and maybe bilge... There would not have been an electric fuel pump on an outboard of that era either.

Your boat’s electrical probably doesn’t in many ways, resemble what was there originally. Thirty-five (35) years ago. There are several folks on here that can send you a copy of the owners manual which includes six pages of wiring diagrams, or maybe more correctly-wiring schematics. They just need a request and an email addy.

8. Member
    I'll try to get a picture of the dash and upload it today, but I'm quite sure it only has breakers and no fuses. At least, I wasn't able to find any fuses on the boat. Going by memory the switches on the dash are power, lights, bilge, aerate, and acc. When I flip the power switch I can hear what sounds like a fuel pump at the back of the boat. The noise is louder when the back cover for the batteries and fuel tank is lifted. Maybe I can get a video of that one as well. I haven't found a fuel line that is feeding the motor, but that would be a good place to start. But if this boat isn't supposed to have an electrical pump, that would explain why the pump is on when the power switch is on. Its possible that I'm just hearing some other electrical noise back there when the switch is flipped.

I did get a manual that is fairly close in years and I was able to track a few things down that way.

On a positive note I got the boat out for the first time this past week. Other than a bit of water in the back livewell that I wasn't expecting I think it went pretty well. All of the other compartments were dry. It was quite cold for April down here, but eventually the boat started and ran.

9. Member
    Ok, sorry for any mis-information. Again, my 73 yo memory can be missleading. I had a 1985 17’6”. Fish N Ski for 35 years-sold last summer. When new there was not a single circuit breaker. Even the trolling motor circuits on the port side had 30 Amp BUSS Fuses in each leg. Good luck with yours.

10. Member
    I appreciate the help. I'm not entirely sure of the year/model. The in-laws still have the title but the trailer is for an 87 I think. If the weather improves I'll get the cover off and get a few pics today.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I appreciate the help. I'm not entirely sure of the year/model. The in-laws still have the title but the trailer is for an 87 I think. If the weather improves I'll get the cover off and get a few pics today.
    Give us the last 4 of the HIN, that'll tell us month/year of manufacture and title year. Also get some pix posted. Post or PM me your e-mail and I can send you a late 80s manual. Final question, what part of TX you in?

12. Member
    The last four of the HIN is D888. PM sent.

Salado, just south of Temple.
    Last edited by Champ-rookie; 04-14-2021 at 03:40 PM.

13. Member
    Few pictures if it helps.

20210410_145552.jpg

20210410_145612.jpg

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The last for of the HIN is D888. PM sent.

Salado, just south of Temple.
    Your boat was built in April of 88 and is titled as an 88. It is also a Fish n Ski, looks like maybe a 176 if the HP rating is 150. Manual is on the way.