2003 Ranger 520VX Repower

Anyone repowered the older VX model boats with the new Mercury 4 stroke? I am getting ready to have one installed next week and just curious if it has been any difference in performance than the older 2 strokes? I have just refurbished my 2003 520VX and I’m super excited to get this new engine! I hope it’s worth the money! If I can figure out how to post pictures on here I will show the work on my boat.

2. Member
    would love to see pics bf and after. i too have a 2003 521vx,

3. Member

4. Member
    I would like to see pictures as well. I have a 2004 521VX I am planning on re-powering with a new Mercury in June.

5. Member
    Repowered my 2004 520 VX about 1 year ago with the 225 Pro XS 4 stroke. Still been playing with props and have about settled on the 23 Tempest Plus at 2.5” PTP right now. Holeshot is great, the Tempest Plus on the 4 stroke lifts boat way more than any of the 2 strokes ever did with a Fury or Tempest either one. Running right on 6000 rom currently. Tournament loaded live wells full 2 people is 66-67 MPH. Still playing with motor height some to collect more data before sending prop to Mark Croxton for a make over to see if we can get a little more out of it. It took a little seat time to get used to the way it handled with the increased performance. Top end is about the same as my 225 EFI however the mid range performance increase is great.

The new 4 stroke will definently let you know if you have any wear in your steering with the torque and lift it makes with the right prop. I never had chine walk until this motor. I had to rebuild my tilt steering and cylinder seals both to get everything back tight otherwise I got a lot of chine walk atround 63-64 MPH.

Running 5000 rpm I am about 60 mph with better fuel economy than the 2 stroke.

I have always ran the Fury with best performance on the 2 stroke on this boat and have ran a 24 and 22 Fury 3 so far but the 23 Tempest Plus has been the best preformance.

6. Member
    Did you go with a 20" Shaft? or 15?

7. Member
    boat 3.jpgboat 3.jpg
    I am running the 20” shaft