Thread: Removing carpet

Removing carpet

Have an old Grumman we’re restoring and the carpet has some very good glue that’s giving us trouble getting the carpet to come up. Anyone have a solvent they would recommend for getting the carpet up?

2. Member
    My Two Cents, I would not use any solvents on a plywood deck, The solvent would leach into the plywood and potentially start to delaminate the decking. If I could not get up the carpet, maybe a belt sander of the area is small, if a large area then replace the decking plywood with marine grade.
    Eric Beaty
    2013 BassCat Cougar FTD
    2013 Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    It’s a ‘92 and wanting to replace seats and carpet. When I try to peel it off it’s bringing slivers of plywood also. Guess I’ll have to replace all the plywood

4. Member
    When I did mine all the carpet came off but left glue behind. I belt sanded the glue, brutal job, it still left high spots. My wood was in great shape, so I just flipped the sheets over. I was putting vinyl down and could not afford to have the glue react with new glue. If it does your vinyl will have discolored spots all over it. If I was using carpet I would just have gone over it. You may be able to seal the wood where it is peeling off and then flip the boards.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX