Thread: GT54/GT56

Praying GT54/GT56

Is the GT56 really that much better than the Gt54 transducers. I am thinking of purchasing a 93sv UHD with the GT54 transducer and wonder if I need to purchase the GT56 before I exert all the effort to route the GT54 cable down the length of my boat. All feed back appreciated.
    Ranger RT 188 (2016)
    Mercury 4 stroke 115
    HumminBird 899
    console
    Garmin 93SV bow
    Lazer II 20"prop
    3 bank charger
    Terrova 80# Minn Kota

This guys has a couple videos he did for comparison.

3. Member
    Thanks LennyB for your feed back. It does help to see the difference in the two, but I can't see the difference being enough to pay $400.00 for the GT56. I will just purchase the Garmin 93SV UHD with the GT54.

Thanks John
    Ranger RT 188 (2016)
    Mercury 4 stroke 115
    HumminBird 899
    console
    Garmin 93SV bow
    Lazer II 20"prop
    3 bank charger
    Terrova 80# Minn Kota

4. Member
    I agree not a big enough difference to pay the extra price

5. Member
    I didn't upgrade to the GT56, so I decided to go GT8, y cable and a GT36 for the console and I'm going to epoxy in the GT8 and hope that I can read on plane. My trolling motor came with a GT54 so I should be able to tell which one has a better picture eventually when I get my boat all together.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 39DUCK View Post
    I didn't upgrade to the GT56, so I decided to go GT8, y cable and a GT36 for the console and I'm going to epoxy in the GT8 and hope that I can read on plane. My trolling motor came with a GT54 so I should be able to tell which one has a better picture eventually when I get my boat all together.
    Sent ya an email.. update on project please!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclesam321 View Post
    Sent ya an email.. update on project please!!
    So I just got my boat home and 100% back together as of this past weekend I have not lake tested yet but it recognizes all my transducers. The GT 8 seems to work in the garage and the GT 36 seems to have a cleaner picture than the GT 54 that’s on the trolling motor. But keep in mind it hasn’t hit the water yet

8. Member
    I had my transom done, carpet, pedistal bases, new seats, new trolling motor and electronics- this is my hold up the boats been MIA since last March! But she’s back now!

9. Member
    K great..please give update!

10. Member
    I've been running that same setup (GT8/GT36 at the back, GT54 up front) for about 6 months now. Honestly, since I have the 102 up front and 126 at the console and livescope, I haven't compared them yet. I just got my boat rewired (all new fuse panel) so I suppose I could look to see what the difference is.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

11. Member
    I just switched out the 54 to the 56 and there is definitely a distinguishable difference. I’m seeing significantly more detail. It’s really helped find the subtle stuff that didn’t stand out before. I moved to Garmin Ultras from Humminbird Solix when I incorporated livescope. I was devastated at the difference in image quality with sidevu/side imaging. The GT 56 isn’t Humminbird quality, but it’s a step in the right direction. There’s really no comparison between the 54 & 56. The 56 blows it away.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGraz View Post
    I just switched out the 54 to the 56 and there is definitely a distinguishable difference. I’m seeing significantly more detail. It’s really helped find the subtle stuff that didn’t stand out before. I moved to Garmin Ultras from Humminbird Solix when I incorporated livescope. I was devastated at the difference in image quality with sidevu/side imaging. The GT 56 isn’t Humminbird quality, but it’s a step in the right direction. There’s really no comparison between the 54 & 56. The 56 blows it away.
    I came from bird as well (gen2 helix12).... i agree with everything you said. The ultras with a 56 seem very comparable to my gen 2 helix. Which obviously wasn't as good as the new + models but it was definitely good enough.

That's where I would put my ultras with the 56..... they are good enough.