Boat prop question....

I am looking to get a new prop for my 2000 Johnson 150hp. I am currently running a 14.5 x 24. As I'm looking through the SS props I notice that my model can run a 15.5 x 24. Is there any advantage to to upsizing to the 15.5 vs the 14.5?? Right now I like how my boat comes out of the hole and my top end is around 60mph which is just fine with me. But like I said I was just curious as to what difference that would make, if any. Thanks in advance for any info and help.
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

2. Member
    It would lower rpm's for sure.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by East TN.Hunt-n-Fish View Post
    I am looking to get a new prop for my 2000 Johnson 150hp. I am currently running a 14.5 x 24. As I'm looking through the SS props I notice that my model can run a 15.5 x 24. Is there any advantage to to upsizing to the 15.5 vs the 14.5?? Right now I like how my boat comes out of the hole and my top end is around 60mph which is just fine with me. But like I said I was just curious as to what difference that would make, if any. Thanks in advance for any info and help.
    I can't give you the answer in exact numbers, but that inch in diameter will be a huge difference in the performance of the prop. A 14 inch circle has an area of 154 square inches, a 15 inch circle has an area of 177 square inches and the center of a prop has no thrust. You can try it but I think you will be disappointed.
    It would be nice to try the different size, I think one of our sponsors will let you if you buy from him. I think it's Croxton.

4. Member
    On bigger motors, there is usually an advantage. On 150 hp and down many times they can't turn the larger props to full advantage and lose speed. If you tried one, I would drop down an inch in pitch.

Not sure what boat you are running, but 60 from a 150 is pretty good, with a good hole shot.

6. Member
    It's on a Stratos 185. It's not the fastest out of the hole, but I know I either sacrifice acceleration or top end, and I'm happy with the balance I have.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info Bill. Based on that, I will probably just stick with the 14 1/2. Like I said I'm happy with how it performs now, but I was curious as to what difference it'd make.

8. Banned
    Call Mark and talk to him about what it runs and what you can do with it he will get it right. 317-398-9294