RIGGING OPTIMAX TO 4S

Serial number is in my signature below.

Removing my single 03' Optimax 200 and installing a 2023 250 plain 4 stroke (NON verado) that's in my signature. Optimax is rigged with two sc1000 smartcraft gauges (speed/RPM) so I believe the harnesses needed are clean power and the 8 pin adapter harness 84 896542T01. My question is, am I removing the speed paddle wheel mounted on the stern and the ambient temp sensor on my dash?

If anyone performed this repower, I'm open to advise/lessons learned.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-17-2024 at 11:07 AM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rigging Tube
    14 pin Keyswitch Harness (rather than adapting your old one + extension + blue harness)

Master Reset the System Tach & Speed

You can remove paddle and water temp if you like. Air temp is up to you... it's at the console.

3/8" fuel line straight from tank to engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don!
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

4. Member
    My 2022 Mercury mechanical 250 4s serial number is in my signature.

Just be be certain before removing the blue cable I have to ask.

If I use Mercury 896537K24 14 pin ignition harness NON DTS, I remove and trash the blue gauges cable pictured below?

thumbnail.jpg
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would not need the blue harness if you're using a 14-pin, Non-DTS ignition switch/harness kit, as all those circuits are included in the harness kit already.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

7. Member
    Don,

My new 14 pin harness has a two confusing connections consisting of two wires each. One is for the neutral safety switch on the shifter (yellow/red) and the other is the kill switch lanyard (black/white).

The wire's color code on my optimax shifter and lanyard doesn't exactly match the color code on the new 14 pin harness. I assume as long as they're connected all is good because the two switches are a simple open/close switch?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-25-2024 at 06:46 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Neutral Safety should still be yellow w/red stripe.

Lanyard black to black, black/yellow to black/yellow will work. If you have a different color on the 14-pin, I'll need to know the actual colors as I don't have one here on my desk. :)

9. Member
    My original optimax Neutral safety has two yellow with large red stripe wires. My new 14 pin wire harness has two yellow wires but one has a large red stripe and the other a very small red stripe. (I assume it doesn't matter how I connect it?)

My original optimax lanyard has two wires, one is black/white and the other is black/yellow. My 14 pin wire harness has two wires, one is black and the other black/yellow. (I assume black goes to black/white?)
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct on both.

11. Member
    Thanks Don.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

12. Member
    Do I need a terminating resistor in my 5 position J-box? (mechanical shift motor)

I already have one resistor on the motor's vessel view mobile and another one on my 14 pin wire harness.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-29-2024 at 02:28 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There should be ONLY TWO Terminating Resistors in your entire system. One 10-pin on the engine, and one on the keyswitch harness (blue two-pin resistor). Do not plug any additional 10-pin resistors into anything, anywhere.

14. Member
    Thanks Don !
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges