Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I figured John would know better than to post pictures of a copyrighted work... and then threw the guy at Basscat under the bus (by name) for sending it to him.

Always interesting hearing someone read what they "want" something to say. He had to read the "CORRECTION" section's first statement at least 3 times before he read what it actually said. It does NOT say that Mercury approves the use of Lithium Batteries.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Banned
    I keep reading "BMS". Would someone please clarify?

3. Banned
    Battery Management System. Got it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One of the most common questions I get:

"Will there come a time when Lithium Batteries will be officially "approved""?

Some seem to think that Brunswick will automatically approve their own brand (Relion). They may- and they may NOT. Brunswick's market placement move probably wasn't for cranking batteries (any sales there would be a small market sector)- they do (after all) own several companies that could benefit from Lithium Battery technology (AND- they recently announced their Electric Outboard line, which required specially designed and proprietary batteries, for which they would need to be able to setup manufacturing capabilities... hint, hint).

In reality, it is the BMS, and most specifically how the BMS reacts to specific scenarios that is of most concern with Lithium Batteries. I suspect- that given time, there will be some type of time-delay and communication/notification protocol within the BMS that will permit the BMS to notify the engine PCM, and in turn the Operator, of a critical situation requiring shutdown- thus allowing time to safely protect the boat, the occupants, those around the boat, and in the end- the battery.

Since the "Marine" industry isn't the only one that could benefit from Lithium Technology but CANNOT (for safety reasons) support an unplanned battery shutdown, it's really only a matter of time before we see some viable solutions developed and tested.

When (not if) that happens, I think we will see a different stance (though there will likely be some additional, yet simple, rigging required, and it will take some time).

JMHO...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    I will say this it says no lithium ion none of the batteries out are lithium ion batteries their lithium iron phosphate a major difference lifepo4 and not the same putting lithium ion in the same category of lithium iron phosphate is like comparing apples to oranges.

I called and asked a Merc rep this am if Mercury had changed their position on the use of lithium batteries on the larger motors. His answer is NO. They have not designed and implemented any protective device to counter transients caused by the BSM. They may be working on it. In the meantime, if damage to the electronics can be traced to using a lithium battery the warranty will not cover the loss.

I know this is a old thread but still reading and learning on this subject. Mercury clearly states lithium ion, which are unstable and dangerous, and I am mot sure if any new cranking batteries even use this technology any more. Miller Tech, Ionic, and other mainstream batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate. Much safer and a lot better technology. There are hundreds of mercury running Lifepo batteries. I would guess there would be some scuttle around if they were causing a problem. Time will tell. I will run my AGM for now with my new boat, but will definitely miss the constant voltage I maintained with my pro XS 2 stroke for the last 2 years.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Welaka View Post
    I know this is a old thread but still reading and learning on this subject. Mercury clearly states lithium ion, which are unstable and dangerous, and I am mot sure if any new cranking batteries even use this technology any more. Miller Tech, Ionic, and other mainstream batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate. Much safer and a lot better technology.
    Lithium iron phosphate batteries are lithium ion batteries.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Lithium iron phosphate batteries are lithium ion batteries.
    I maybe wrong but a quick search will show several comparison on the 2 different technologies.
    Just read a write up on EPEC electrical engineering page
    BTW like the Cats also. Use to like watching Jarod *****ett play he grew up in my home town
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Welaka View Post
    I maybe wrong but a quick search will show several comparison on the 2 different technologies.
    Just read a write up on EPEC electrical engineering page
    BTW like the Cats also. Use to like watching Jarod *****ett play he grew up in my home town
    All larger rechargeable lithium batteries in consumer use are lithium ion batteries. The names like lithium iron-phosphate refer to the cathode material in the specific type of lithium ion battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Updated Information added to Post# 1!

11. Member
    The tracker TLI-100HP does meet Mercury standards. I spoke with Relion today (manufacturer) and tracker simply hasn't updated their spec sheet to read 800CCA for 8 seconds.

Does anyone think the lithiums stress the alternator by taking more amps when they're discharged and the alternator can run at full tilt, or the amps having nowhere to go when the battery is fully charged?
    Last edited by Capt James; 10-27-2022 at 10:27 AM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All Current-Production MERCURY RACING OUTBOARDS have been added to the list in Post#1 per Service Bulletin SHS 2022-21

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Powerhouse lithium cranker meets/exceeds all Mercury's specs. Available with BBC discount ... Kandkkustomz.com. use code bbc10 at checkout.

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I searched this forum for all posts including the word "Lithium" and have read every post, even the old ones. This post seems to have the most recent information. I have a 2008 Mercury Verado 150 and the updated 2022 information at the beginning of this post doesn't appear to specifically list the 150 Verado (only the ProXS and Seapro), so, am I to assume that Lithium batteries are still not recommended for my 2008 Mercury Verado 150?
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I searched this forum for all posts including the word "Lithium" and have read every post, even the old ones. This post seems to have the most recent information. I have a 2008 Mercury Verado 150 and the updated 2022 information at the beginning of this post doesn't appear to specifically list the 150 Verado (only the ProXS and Seapro), so, am I to assume that Lithium batteries are still not recommended for my 2008 Mercury Verado 150?
    Although not specifically listed in the current bulletin- that engine would fall within the "approved" technology parameters.

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Although not specifically listed in the current bulletin- that engine would fall within the "approved" technology parameters.
    Oh, wow, thanks. Good to know!
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    does the bulletin include DTS engines?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lasallen View Post
    does the bulletin include DTS engines?
    That fall within the product categories: Yes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123