Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Exclamation UPDATE- SELECT FOURSTROKES- Specific Spec Lithiums ACCEPTABLE!

UPDATE: 12/23/2022

Quote Originally Posted by SOB 2022-19 and SHS 2022-21
    As of 12/23/2022, Mercury has issued Service Bulletin 2022-19 and Racing Bulletin 2022-21 stating that the listed engines will be permitted to use a Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery that is designed for engine cranking, as long as it meets the listed specifications:

-2.1L 75-115hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro Models
    -3.0L 150hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro
    -4.6L V8 and 3.4L V6 175-300hp Fourstroke, ProXS, SeaPro and Verado Models
    -2.6L L6 200-400 Pro and Verado Models
    -7.6L V12 500-600hp SeaPro and Verado Models.
    -ALL MERCURY RACING OUTBOARD ENGINE MODELS (Current Production)
    -NO other engines approved at this time.

Minimum Specs Required:

-Chemistry/Format: Lithium IRON Phosphate designed for MARINE CRANKING USE.
    -Minimum Cranking Amps: 800A for 8 second minimum @ 20 Degrees F
    -Peak Charge Acceptance: 165A at 20-130 degrees F for one minute
    -Max Charge Alternator Size: 150A at 20-130 degrees F
    -Max Charge Voltage/Alternator Output: 14.8V
    -Reserve Capacity (RC25 @ 80F): 135 Minutes
    -Ingress Protection (IP rating): IP67 or greater.

Cautions that use at temperatures below 32F may require additional equipment such as a battery heater.

Bulletin also lists a Relion Battery that has been evaluated and meets the above requirements: RB100-HP.

https://relionbattery.com/products/lithium/rb100-hp

Due to the high number of posts lately that ask "is it ok, why can't I, but so-and-so does it, Mercury must be ok with it because, etc. etc.", I'm going to set this post as a "top of the Forum" sticky for the next few months (and it will remain in the FAQ Section indefinitely).

Mercury Service Bulletin 2021-06 specifically states that Lithium Ion Batteries are not to be used with any Mercury Outboard, or Mercruiser Sterndrive engines.

Mercury Service Bulletin 2021-06R1 states that Mercury has not certified any Lithium Ion Batteries for use with their engines (though some Boat manufacturers have tested them with their boats). Bulletin recommends following the installation instructions and manual, and states that any damage caused by using Lithium batteries will not be covered.

150 Fourstroke Note: 150hp (3L) Fourstroke Models do not necessarily REQUIRE an AGM type battery at this time. 150 Verado Models DO require an AGM, however.

The below excerpts are taken DIRECTLY from the Installation Instructions, Part# 8M0156797 (latest publication as of the date of this post, and the guide to proper installation and rigging of the engine):

Quote Originally Posted by Installation Instructions, Pg. 9
    BATTERY REQUIREMENTS:

The following specifications are regarding marine battery systems and their connectivity to outboard propulsion systems. Adherence to the following requirements is mandatory for all engine installations. Failure to follow the requirements may result in loss of warranty coverage for electrical components and systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Installation Instructions, Pg. 10
    CLEAN POWER CONNECTIONS:

Mercury clean power harnessing must be connected directly to the positive and negative posts of the corresponding propulsion engine's cranking battery. IMPORTANT: Any deviations from the clean power connection requirement must be approved by Mercury Marine.

There is then detail on Battery cables, cable connections, requirement of a Battery Switch for batteries that exceed 800 cca (virtually all of these engines will in a fishing application): We strongly recommend 975+ CCA AGM batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Installation Instructions, Pg. 13
    ENGINE BATTERY SPECIFICATIONS:

Quote Originally Posted by Installation Instructions, Pg. 13
    IMPORTANT: This engine requires a 12‑volt absorbed glass mat (AGM) marine starting battery that meets the minimum ratings.

Do not use
    flooded (wet cell), gel cell type lead acid batteries
    or lithium ion batteries for starting marine engines. Each engine must be equipped with its own starting battery...

It then goes on to again restate the "Required 12‑Volt Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Ratings" and provides two different MINIMUM battery capacity types (SAE with RC25 combined rating, and an EN (Internationally used) CCA Rating.

We recommend using the (EN) CCA Rating, which is a minimum of 975 CCA.

There is nothing ambiguous here... at least 3 times it clearly states that an AGM battery is required, and SPECIFICALLY instructs "Do not use....
    lithium ion batteries".

Hopefully this will help to clear this up for those who seem confused on the topic.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-23-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Update- SB 2022-19 and SHS 2022-21

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'm new to the Verado club, just bought a Ranger Z21 with a Verado 250(1B177650) I need a starting battery, my owners manual DOES NOT specify a AGM battery- just not a deep cycle battery. I was thinking of using a Group 31 that meets the specs. but everyone insists that a AGM is required. What are your thoughts?
    2005 Ranger Z21 Dual Console
    2005 Verado 250

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    AGM is required for Verado models. Earlier manuals may not have shown it, but that is the requirement.

See the FAQ Section, "Batteries that Meet the Requirement" (first section).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I am just about to order a new Nitro with 300 pro xs 4 stroke. Nitro is offering a battery upgrade option of 4 100ah (3 trolling 1 Cranking) Tracker Lithium batteries. I have read in the manual myself what you keep saying that Mercury says AGM only but now they offer an option direct from the factory that contradicts this. I'm more confused the more I look into this subject.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigon View Post
    I am just about to order a new Nitro with 300 pro xs 4 stroke. Nitro is offering a battery upgrade option of 4 100ah (3 trolling 1 Cranking) Tracker Lithium batteries. I have read in the manual myself what you keep saying that Mercury says AGM only but now they offer an option direct from the factory that contradicts this. I'm more confused the more I look into this subject.
    "Tracker" builds boats. They do NOT build engines. Several of the bassboat manufacturers "offer" Lithium battery options. At this time, and for the forseeable future, Lithiums are not approved for the V6/V8 Fourstrokes (AGM batteries ONLY).

6. Member
    You don’t have to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle either. No one is going to make you use an AGM battery on your motor. But IF something happens and Merc says no to your warranty claim, don’t be surprised. We have been advised. Lithium crankers and no helmets at our own risk.

The real question is "can Merc even tell that a lithium has been used on the motor?".

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think that if one of the biggest concern scenarios occurs, it will be a moot point. There will be more than enough evidence.

9. Member
    They say no lithium ion...

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    POST #1 has been updated to reflect the clarifications provided in Service Bulletin 2021-06 (No Lithium Ion Batteries are to be used as Starting Batteries for Mercury Outboard or Mercruiser Sterndrive products).

11. Member
    Is there a reasoning why? Only asking because the Ionic 125Ah was designed as a cranking/starting battery.
    I just want to look at the factual reasoning.

on Ionic website;
    Ionic Deep Cycle Lithium Battery 12V125-EP has 12 volts and a 125Ah capacity and is perfect for powering your deep cycle systems. Can be used as a starting – dual Lithium battery comparable to 900A cranking amps for 250hp engines. Ionic Deep Cycle has an internal microprocessor controlled battery management system (BMS) that monitors the key operational parameters during charging and discharging, such as voltages, currents and internal temperatures.
    Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries have been engineered to work with overcharging issues that different outboard marine motors have.” “Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries will work with outboard motors including Mercury and Yamaha.”
    Last edited by GetReel; 04-26-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Post edit.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    Is there a reasoning why? Only asking because the Ionic 125Ah was designed as a cranking/starting battery.
    I would assume its the load dump that could occur during outboard operation should the Lithium BMS disconnect the starting battery (could severely damage all electrical components).
    Not to mention loss of control of the vessel, either due to forced Idle/engine stall or loss of power steering (dependent on model).

Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post

on Ionic website;
    Ionic Deep Cycle Lithium Battery 12V125-EP has 12 volts and a 125Ah capacity and is perfect for powering your deep cycle systems. Can be used as a starting – dual Lithium battery comparable to 900A cranking amps for 250hp engines. Ionic Deep Cycle has an internal microprocessor controlled battery management system (BMS) that monitors the key operational parameters during charging and discharging, such as voltages, currents and internal temperatures.
    Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries have been engineered to work with overcharging issues that different outboard marine motors have.” “Ionic 12V 125Ah batteries used as starters batteries will work with outboard motors including Mercury and Yamaha.”
    I am really watching this with interest as I’ve wasted enough money on batteries. I bought a new 1050cca to meet Mercs requirements, but it was marine lead acid. I was guilted into replacing with an agm because of these ongoing battery posts of “absolutely no lithium or lead acid” read your manual. So I’m with you, I would like 100% why no lead acid or lithium.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    #1 area of concern is engine shutdown or loss of control due to an action of the BMS.

Safety First!

15. Member
    Loss of power fully on pad would truly suck. It's bad enough when I forget to trim down first and come off the hot foot. I could see a darn near 90* turn if that happened.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter13 View Post
    Ok, now that I have a brand new boat with 4 lithiums and Merc will void the warranty. If I pull out the lithium cranking battery and replace it with the required agm battery, will the onboard charger (lithium) work?
    This would be a question for the Charger Manufacturer (and is really a question specific to your boat, not so much the battery requirements).

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    #1 area of concern is engine shutdown or loss of control due to an action of the BMS.

Safety First!
    I will say this it says no lithium ion none of the batteries out are lithium ion batteries their lithium iron phosphate a major difference lifepo4 and not the same putting lithium ion in the same category of lithium iron phosphate is like comparing apples to oranges.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good point but I think you’re splitting hairs as there is little question as to the message.

The bulletin also specifically says “only lead acid or agm”, depending on model, so they totally rule out anything with the word lithium in it.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

20. Member
    Nitro boats now offer Tracker Lithium WRM100-HP starting battery and 3 WRM80-HP Lithium Batteries (36 volt trolling motor system) in the 2022 Z21 boat options. These boats also allow for jumping batteries in case the cranking battery goes dead. If Lithium batteries at not allowed by Mercury for cranking why does Nitro offer this option?
    2019 Z21 Nitro
    2019 Mercury 250L Serial # 2B644821 with 23" Fury SS Prop
    Bobs Machine Shop 12" Hydraulic Jackplate
    52" Minn Kota 112# Ultrex with i-Pilot Link
    2-12' Minn Kota Talons
    Minn Kota Mega 360
    Solix 12 Mega SI & G2
    Solix 10 Mega SI & G2
    Hydrowave 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast