Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Favorite ice out baits?

Continuing with my Bass Fishing Quick Tips series, I wanted to cover my favorite go-to ice out baits, as we're not too too far away from the open water season starting back up here in New Hampshire. Curious what everyone else's favorites are for immediate ice out, or for you southern fellas, for your coldest water temps?

I'm sure there's going to be a quite a few overlaps between what I and others like up in hard water states, and southern anglers during very cold water temps. But curious if there will be any uncommon answers. I by no means have a completely comprehensive list in this video, it's just the few baits that I personally have had great success with over many trips from the last 5-15 years.

Blade bait

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Blade bait
    Used to only throw it in the fall but gave it a good workout this last few years in the spring, especially last year, and have had much more success with it. Crazy how many bites I get on that thing just letting it soak...

4. Member
    Funny that drop Shot baits are not there ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    Funny that drop Shot baits are not there ?
    Not a confidence or go-to technique that I like to use for ice out. It does work, but not nearly as consistently as everything else I use, nor has the quality produced been as good. I do a lot better with the drop shot once water gets into the low 40's and beyond. Still use it every year for the last few years trying to find a better combo or method of using it to produce more consistent or better quality results, which is why I didn't mention it in the video. It's not on that same level as everything else I use & talked about.

nice job Sean. I will have to also chime in on the Blade Bait, I will also yo-yo a tail spinner. but as most know...... Hair jig for me....with a 101 pork.

7. Member
    I’m in the very Southern part of New Hampshire and unless it’s been warmer in central NH it’s going to be more than “Not too far away from the open water season starting back up here in New Hampshire”. Pointers and 110’s,lipless baits like the Red eye Shad or lucky craft LV,dragging a Ned rig or tube dragged works for me. Russ usually starts with a chatterbait and I will use the jerkbaits or lipless to see which is drawing the most interest
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    nice job Sean. I will have to also chime in on the Blade Bait, I will also yo-yo a tail spinner. but as most know...... Hair jig for me....with a 101 pork.
    Thanks! I'm fishing the hair jig a lot more often now than I did before, especially the Beast Coast Hustler as it's a hybrid, bit of hair and a finesse skirt. Just needed a better setup for throwing something so light, new rod is on its way specifically for that stuff. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    I’m in the very Southern part of New Hampshire and unless it’s been warmer in central NH it’s going to be more than “Not too far away from the open water season starting back up here in New Hampshire”. Pointers and 110’s,lipless baits like the Red eye Shad or lucky craft LV,dragging a Ned rig or tube dragged works for me. Russ usually starts with a chatterbait and I will use the jerkbaits or lipless to see which is drawing the most interest
    Me too, but like clock work we always get hit with that warmer weather by end of February, and all this snow disappears fast. Helps that a few local spots around me are super small and spring fed, so the ice is never very thick and it opens up very fast. Areas in Mass just over the border from us open up pretty quickly too.

Almost mentioned the ned, but wanted to keep the video just to the things I've done exceptionally well with for a long time. Only have had moderate success and in the last 3 years with the ned. Andrew and I kind of do the same thing as you and Russ, I'll work the chatterbait and Andrew will work the jerk bait when we get started, as that's what each of us have our most confidence in. Once we nail down the bite, we'll make the switch.

9. Member
    The only real iceout lures in the Northeast are tandem streamers like 9-3, black ghost, grey ghost, Barnes Special, Liggett Special, etc.

10. Member
    Jerkbaits and blade baits. I hope to have success with hair jigs this year as well.

Jerkbait and #5 Shad Rap.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Fat ika & Hula Grub

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    Fat ika
    Never heard of that, had to look it up, and now I'm very intrigued. Mind sharing how you go about fishing that? I imagine it would look great on a light ball head, or maybe even a decently weighted ned head...

14. Member
    Jerkbait and jig for me. Im gonna miss ice out this year tho.. Cuz ill be in texas.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Never heard of that, had to look it up, and now I'm very intrigued. Mind sharing how you go about fishing that? I imagine it would look great on a light ball head, or maybe even a decently weighted ned head...
    Football Head works decent but one of the most productive ways is weightless. At ice out, i use a finesse approach. Start w/ a circle hook (I typically use a Gammi finesse weedless wide gap but out of them at the moment. the picture is w/ a different hook), 15lb power pro w/ 8lb leader on spinning rod. it is perfect for 10ft or less. Cast it out, give it a bit of slack, let fall & watch the line, the less you work it the better. Crazy action on the fall. Most bites are just there when you pick up. You will go through baits but it catches them when the bite is tough or water is cold.

fat ika.jpg

16. Member
    It is 100% a Jerkbait or lipless crank. When the water warms up a touch drop shot, chatterbait and swimbaits.

Lipless crankbaits, jerkbait, baby 1-, jig.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Right?

Im in PA and the ice is damn thick!!!...gonna be atleast mid april here

But, jerkbait, jig, chstter and squarebill for me...in that order
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    Smoke grub.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

20. Moderator
    Silver buddies and jerkbaits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast