Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Mercury and Lithium starting battery post

I know there has been many discussions on this and some good reasons on why not to run a Lithium starting battery for a new Mercury motor. In this video of KVD’s new boat he talks about his Lithium batteries including his Lithium starting battery. If Lithium’s are not recommended for the new Mercury motors and may cause Warranty issues, then why would Mercury allow him to advertise them? I’m assuming that Mercury is still one of his sponsors. I’m not trying to start any arguments, just trying to understand it all.

2. Member
    I don't think it's a case of Mercury letting him. I think they have zero control over what he uses, and since he gets a new boat every year, he doesn't care what Merc recommends. I also think Merc knows there's zero issues with the better Lithium batteries now.

3. Member
    Just to add to this topic, Jake Whitaker just posted his setup this year and he's running two 12V relion lithiums in parallel as his cranking setup. I like the idea that since it addresses the question about over current shutdowns (splits the load in half), but not over voltage....Obviously the lithium battery companies sponsoring these guys have looked at the peak output characteristics of the 250 4-stroke's charging system to ensure their sponsored anglers aren't going to have any publicly televised issues on the water (think Jamie Hartman at Champlain... Ouch for Dakota Lithium's).

As far as mercury blessing the use of lithium's for cranking, I think its a liability issue for them due to the fact that they don't have control of the battery design, and a poor BMS system mixed with their charging system could result in a bad day. With the right battery system, will it work? Sure does seem like it...

I watched the KVD vid yesterday and thought exactly the same thing! There’s some big names in this boat and one would think if those batteries really were an issue, they just wouldn’t be there and also we’ll highlighted in his presentation
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

No way would Mercury let him use those batteries unless they approved. They sponsor him. I think you'd have a darn good case if they refused coverage because you had ran lithium after seeing KVD with them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    No way would Mercury let him use those batteries unless they approved. They sponsor him. I think you'd have a darn good case if they refused coverage because you had ran lithium after seeing KVD with them.
    ^^^^ THIS. ^^^^. I would say the Lithium train has left Mercury station.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    KVd isnt the only pro using a lithium cranking battery on a mercury 4s Mercury is clear about the recommendations about batteries and they have to be consistant but they dont say you cant Ive been running them for about six years know including my 4s two years and going strong.
    Last edited by wash84; 02-09-2021 at 04:46 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    ^^^^ THIS. ^^^^. I would say the Lithium train has left Mercury station.
    This has been discussed enough that it will likely be necessary to simply close future threads on the topic.

Read the SERVICE MANUAL and the ENGINE INSTALLATION and RIGGING instructions. If you have not done that, you really need to before you post such things.

MERCURY does not rig angler's boats for them. Mercury does not PROVIDE or INSTALL Lithium Batteries in these boats. That was done by the Angler or ANOTHER sponsor the Angler has. Just like his rods, reeds, line, and a myriad of other items on the boats.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Don, I agree that the Mercury provided information, as well as your sticky, make it very clear as to what SHOULD be used with your Merc 4S. What isn’t covered is the WHY. Mercury may not have shared this information publicly, but if they were to give us a little more information it would be a more cut and dry conversation. Because of this lack of information, and the increasing (successful) use of lithium’s on Pros boats, the topic will only become more popular. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmdubya View Post
    Don, I agree that the Mercury provided information, as well as your sticky, make it very clear as to what SHOULD be used with your Merc 4S. What isn’t covered is the WHY. Mercury may not have shared this information publicly, but if they were to give us a little more information it would be a more cut and dry conversation. Because of this lack of information, and the increasing (successful) use of lithium’s on Pros boats, the topic will only become more popular. Just my 2 cents.
    I believe Don has explained the why in extreme detail. I have chosen to run lithium for my trolling and house battery but kept, for now, the AGM for my Verado. Its getting real tough to explain this to people when they see more and more pro's on the circuit running lithium for a starter, while being sponsored by Mercury.

11. Member
    Not only that, but Ranger offering it as an option. Still, I went with AGM for my new 4 stroke order. Not willing to risk it on brand new engine. Older boat? Yeah, I'd have gone all lithium.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I believe Don has explained the why in extreme detail. I have chosen to run lithium for my trolling and house battery but kept, for now, the AGM for my Verado. Its getting real tough to explain this to people when they see more and more pro's on the circuit running lithium for a starter, while being sponsored by Mercury.
    That's entirely possible, but without sifting through all of the threads its not apparently obvious. Seems to me that's what a sticky thread is for...I'm also looking for an explanation from Mercury. Not that Don doesn't know, but Don also doesn't back the Warranty on my Merc 4S. Id like to hear it from the horses mouth.

I personally believe that Lithium-ion is a brief stepping stone to Solid State. All motor manufacturers will have no choice but to incorporate this into their systems very soon.
    Whatever you do, do some research. The RV industry is a very good source of information on the plus/minus of these batteries. They have experienced the charging/temperature issues with their systems and have adapted.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmdubya View Post
    That's entirely possible, but without sifting through all of the threads its not apparently obvious. Seems to me that's what a sticky thread is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmdubya
    I'm also looking for an explanation from Mercury. Not that Don doesn't know, but Don also doesn't back the Warranty on my Merc 4S. Id like to hear it from the horses mouth.
    Do you have any one of the following?

-Engine Owner's Manual

-Engine Service Manual

-Engine Installation Instructions?

ALL THREE (3) of these publications, which are official communication from Mercury Marine regarding the V6/V8 Fourstroke engine products indicate that Lithium Batteries should NOT be used to start (these) marine engines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Do you have any one of the following?

-Engine Owner's Manual

-Engine Service Manual

-Engine Installation Instructions?

ALL THREE (3) of these publications, which are official communication from Mercury Marine regarding the V6/V8 Fourstroke engine products indicate that Lithium Batteries should NOT be used to start (these) marine engines.
    Im not trying to start a war with you don, Im just stating that Mercury hasn't told us WHY this is not an approved cranking battery type (nor is it explained in your sticky). As you have repeatedly stated, its clear in the manual that we should not use the lithium batteries as cranking batteries for these new 4S engines. I guess you better close this thread before someone goes to far and says they already use a lithium as their cranking battery.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Brent- I will say that I took your comments about having to "search" to heart. A separate STICKY thread has been added to the top of the Forum, and to the FAQ Section.

It should alleviate any confusion.

17. Member
    I'm still a little confused, not about using a Lithium battery though, that is perfectly clear (insert dead horse emoji here)....The two Stickys at the top refer to "150 and larger 4-stroke" in several places. The Sticky titles say:

AGM BATTERY REQUIREMENT (NO LITHIUMS) 150hp AND LARGER 4-STROKE and

PROPER 4-Stroke V6 and V8 Battery Selection

My 150 Four-Stroke manual says nothing about using an AGM batteries: (page 36)

Capture.JPG

So is the AGM battery requirement for 150 and larger or larger than 150? I was under the impression carefully reading this thread AND the two Stickeys that the AGM requirement is for V6 AND V8 motors, which the 150 (none of them, I believe) is not.

Not arguing what Mercury is saying in the literature that has been quoted, nor am I arguing anything about lithium batteries. I just want to be clear on which Mercury Outboard motors Mercury Marine says REQUIRES an AGM battery. Because the Stickys containing this information are not clear, in my opinion, with regard to the 150 HP 4-stroke.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JS!; 02-10-2021 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Clarified my question.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

The pros have opened the box. We see where it goes.

Got a new 4 stroke on the way and will have lithium starting battery. He has written verification from Mercury that use if lithium battery dies not void any warranty. I love this option with all the electronics that I run. Millertech has a battery that meets Mercury’s requirements.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Got a new 4 stroke on the way and will have lithium starting battery. He has written verification from Mercury that use if lithium battery dies not void any warranty. I love this option with all the electronics that I run. Millertech has a battery that meets Mercury’s requirements.
    Who has written verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast