Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS live vs Elite FS

I am looking at both of these units in the 9 inch size for the boat. I went to a local Cabela's today to actually look at them and am impressed with both units. In fact, aside from resolution, cmaps and price, there isn't much of a difference between them. I have never fished a tournament but fish very often and am trying to get more out of my graphs (I currently have a hook2 5 tripleshot). Is the extra 800 bucks worth it to go to the HDS over the Elite FS for an advanced casual fisherman? I am really only considering the upgrade to get the most out of my new Ghost. I see the HDS as future proofing, but that's all I can come up with for a perk.

2. Member
    They are both excellent units so it helps to understand the differences to decide if the price makes sense.

The Elite FS and HDS Carbon/LIVEs both have excellent screens, but the HDS screen provides anti-glare that you can view in outdoor sunlight with polarized glasses at any angle. You won't likely notice this difference in the store display, but you will on the boat. This is one of the most underappreciated benefit of Lowrance HDS units over the competition, and it costs more money to make these screens.

Secondly, the HDS units are meant to be all things to the angler who wants most every feature one can have. They are intended to be fully networked and connected to multiple units to share information of all types through ethernet and NMEA2000 networks. They are the top of the line models.

The Elite FS are designed to be a great unit with great features for the angler who doesn't need or want to pay for the professional quality features and have multiple units networked together. Bells and whistles really drive up the cost of HDS units, and the Elite FS provides great sonar and mapping as a serious unit without the cost. Hope this helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I upgraded from the HDS Gen3 to the HDS Live over the holiday's; similar situation, not into the tourney fishing, but do hit the water 2-4x's/month. Have the Live networked with the NMEA2000 to the Gen3. Run it a lot with the side imaging and I'm very happy with the Live. Granted, is it a bit more than I need for the casual fishing...probably, but with the ghost/live sight planned to be added to the set-up in the future, want to make the most out of the technology.

4. Member
    I bought a Ti2 for the dash on my boat and was planning on the Elite FS for the bow. But, seeing the specs for screen resolution and the ability to seen the screen from any angle with polarized glasses on made me change my mind and go with the HDS live for my bow unit. I got the Ti2 on Black Friday for a good price, but back then I was planning on staying in the Elite family of fish finders, now I am worried about not being able to tie the two units together well.

5. Member
    I'm thinking the FS would be an ideal companion up front with my 12 live. Just using it for full screen mapping or split with 2D or downscan. Leaving the 12 free for full screen Active Target. Dont really need the extra resolution for just mapping. Anti glare would be nice for the sonar, but for 1K difference (9inch live) or 2K (12 live), not sure if its worth it.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info everyone. I think I will start with the Elite FS 9 for the console and save for the 9 or 12 live for the bow. I would assume the EliteFS and live can be networked via ethernet and N2k.

7. Member
    I too woukd like to know if an Elite can be linked/networked to a Live ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdonkey View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I think I will start with the Elite FS 9 for the console and save for the 9 or 12 live for the bow. I would assume the EliteFS and live can be networked via ethernet and N2k.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    I too woukd like to know if an Elite can be linked/networked to a Live ?
    Yes it can. FS has 1ethernet port and a NMEA port.

9. Member
    Would the Elite FS still have the ability to connect via wireless to the previous Elite Ti2 system? Have an Elite Ti2 12 at the console and ordering possibly the ELite FS for the bow. I assume only links in wireless network with other Ti2 units, but figured I would inquire.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 02-09-2021 at 11:56 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Would the Elite FS still have the ability to connect via wireless to the previous Elite Ti2 system? Have an Elite Ti2 12 at the console and ordering possibly the ELite FS for the bow. I assume only links in wireless network with other Ti2 units, but figured I would inquire.
    No, the WIFI-networking of Ti2 only works with another Ti2.

11. Member
    Thanks buddy! Figured as much, just wanted to make sure. No worries not the end of the world.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 02-10-2021 at 08:44 AM.

12. Member
    Guess I need to see if there are any leftover Elite Ti2's without a transducer kicking around then so I can share the data to the bow. Already have a unit up front for Down Imaging etc...

13. Member
    I assume that the elite ti 2s ability to network wirelessly didn’t go over big with fishermen or there were some problems. I was disappointed when I saw the direction they took with the elite fs , I realized that the ti’s were done for . I have two new ti2s on the boat I hope they continue to offer upgrades for them.

14. Member
    If Elite FS should have communicated with other Lowrance units both by Ethernet and WiFi this would have required the inclusion of an Ethernet switch in Elite FS. No other Navico unit, not even high end Simrad units, have integrated Ethernet switches.

15. Member
    There is a sale on the HDS live 9 where I live. Price difference between FS 9 and live 9 is about $600. Still not sure if the added features are worth the price. Is the live screen significantly better when viewed outside and is does the better resolution have big benefits with screens this size? Thanks a lot in advance!

16. Member

17. Member
    Thank you that was a super helpful article!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatdonkey View Post
    I recently upgrade from a hds 7 gen 3 at the bow and he’s 7 gen 2 at the console to 2 9 Lives at the bow and a FS 9 at the console all networked. Currently I only have one bow unit and the Ghost connected to NMEA and plan on connecting the other units in the future. I have only had this setup for a few weeks but so far I really like it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlitz1961 View Post
    I assume that the elite ti 2s ability to network wirelessly didn’t go over big with fishermen or there were some problems. I was disappointed when I saw the direction they took with the elite fs , I realized that the ti’s were done for . I have two new ti2s on the boat I hope they continue to offer upgrades for them.
    No more software updates for the TI2's. Elite FS discontinued the TI2. I have 2 TI2's and love them. Don't need updates for them personally, they work great as is with the latest updates.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

20. LDraper
    Also, you get a $200 rebate with the Live 9. $400 rebate if purchased with a Ghost...see the rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast