Help! Humminbird Transducer dilemma!

I have a 1998 Bass Boat that has a Humminbird XNT 14 74 T transducer epoxied into the hull. It works great with the Onix that I sold to my nephew. I now have a Helix 10 MSI and a Helix 5. The Humminbird XNT 14 74 T is under the gas tank with no way to remove it without completely dismantling the gas tank, batteries etc. (we would have to remove everything from the gas/battery compartment.). There is no other place for such an in-hull transducer. Can I wire a helix pigtail to this transducer. (I have a pigtail and journeyman low voltage electrical experience & knowledge). Can you please give me the wire color hook up information. The wire colors in the cable are Yellow, brown, black paired with a Black wire that has a White stripe, in its own foil Shield. There is an overall foil shield and bare drain wire. Thank you in advance for your help!

Do not have to cut the plug off. The Minnkota MKR-MI-1 will adapt the 14-pin plug to 7-pin.

The XNT 14 74 T is 50/200 kHz

Don't have a pin-out for the 14-pin but this is the #9 connector for a HDSI transducer:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thank you Wayne for your response.

I contacted Humminbird about the MKR-MI-1 adapter, Kimberly said it will not work. After stating that the Helix 10, would work with an XNT 14 74 T transducer if a used an AD 1429. However I pointed it out that this adapter doesn't mate with the transducer.

"Kimberly
    06:32 am
    I believe you would be able to use the AD 1429. https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...-adapter-cable
    This will change the connection for it to plug into a Helix unit.

After that it kept going downhill, until they told me that the Transducer will not work with a Helix... ...would not assist me in splicing because they don't recommending splicing any of their products.

"Kimberly
    06:54 am
    I will advise we don't recommend splicing the transducer cable. I can only tell you that we don't offer any cables to make this happen. I was also informed that the Onix/Solix transducers won't work on the Helix unit. Which I figured the frequencies would but I was mistaken.

Kimberly
    06:57 am

I am not able to provide information on the transducer splicing as we do not recommend this.

"
    Unless someone can be more helpful than Humminbird was during our hour and 15 minute communications... (Helpful might be the wrong word there???)
    I guess I will be dismantle my boat this Spring after thaw out, pulling the gas tank etc.

I did order the adapter cable you suggested. However Humminbird states that it won't work, and they won't tell me why.
    I am frustrated with Humminbird.

If you have any other advice or information, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by LP59; 01-24-2021 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Large break in text

Quote Originally Posted by LP59 View Post
    Thank you Wayne for your response.

I contacted Humminbird about the MKR-MI-1 adapter, Kimberly said it will not work. After stating that the Helix 10, would work with an XNT 14 74 T transducer if a used an AD 1429. However I pointed it out that this adapter doesn't mate with the transducer.

"Kimberly
    06:32 am
    I believe you would be able to use the AD 1429. https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...-adapter-cable
    This will change the connection for it to plug into a Helix unit.

After that it kept going downhill, until they told me that the Transducer will not work with a Helix... ...would not assist me in splicing because they don't recommending splicing any of their products.

"Kimberly
    06:54 am
    I will advise we don't recommend splicing the transducer cable. I can only tell you that we don't offer any cables to make this happen. I was also informed that the Onix/Solix transducers won't work on the Helix unit. Which I figured the frequencies would but I was mistaken.

Kimberly
    06:57 am

I am not able to provide information on the transducer splicing as we do not recommend this.

"
    Unless someone can be more helpful than Humminbird was during our hour and 15 minute communications... (Helpful might be the wrong word there???)
    I guess I will be dismantle my boat this Spring after thaw out, pulling the gas tank etc.

I did order the adapter cable you suggested. However Humminbird states that it won't work, and they won't tell me why.
    I am frustrated with Humminbird.

If you have any other advice or information, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Dave
    The MKR-MI-1 will connect any 14-pin SOLIX transducer, a MEGA 360 transducer, or Minnkota Built-in MDI or MSI transducer to a Helix 8 and larger display.
    Won't work with a Helix 7 for DI or SI since the DI circuits are different.
    It's the short version of the 14-pin to 7-pin adapter that is included with a MEGA 360.
    The 2D piezo connection is at the same place on every one of them.

I have all those cables, Helix and SOLIX units and use them so I know for sure they work.

The AD1429 converts a 7-pin transducer to 14-pin unit (SOLIX or ONIX) which is just the opposite of what you need.

When you connect the 50/200 kHz transducer to whichever Helix, you have to change the Connected Transducer setting to match it. There is no setting for MEGA Side Imaging and 50/200 kHz so you would loose 50 kHz quality with a second generation Helix MEGA SI model (would have 83/200 kHz) and have no capability for MEGA SI+ with HW CHIRP 2D sonar on a Helix G3N or G4N.

For a match of the shoot-thru you would only have 2D sonar by using the HB 50/200 kHz setting
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thank you Wayne! Great news. I have the MKR-MI-1 adapter cable ordered up. I'll report back as soon as I get it. MKR-MI-1