Ultrex Prop not spinning

It is going into the repair center but with the holidays coming up and them having to order a new control board as they think that might be the issue just seeing if anyone else has had this issue.

Everything else on the trolling motor appears to be fine but if you hit constant on or push the button down etc it does not work

I took it in last week. They adjusted the little sensor under the button and it suddenly worked. We figured maybe just that.

Took it home. It doesn't work again.

This thing such a piece of shit. Less than 2 years old.

So far this year:
    steering sensor replaced
    control board replaced
    housing for the head replaced because it started cracking
    stupid clip that breaks on everyone's replaced because it completely broke off
    sleeve replaced because it started to split
    Now the damn thing dont spin and something needs to be replaced

Waiting on PowerPole to finally put their trolling motor on the market so I can hopefully stop having to deal with these issues.

2. Member
    Well it sounds like you had a lot of issues with your Ultrex. Some people do.

If the Motor does not work in continuous or momentary then you could have one of two issues. A bad board or water intrusion in the motor. Both of theses issues are easy to figure out. Check if the motor runs by it self. Just remove the top of the head and apply voltage to the motor wires directly. 24 or 36 whichever you have. If the motor runs then it is a board issue. If it does not run then it could be water intrusion. Remove the prop and loosen one of the bolts that you see on the housing. If you have water then you should see dampness on the bolt and or water coming out the bolt hole.

If it is a board issue for the second time then I would ask if you are removing power from the troll motor every time you charge the troll motor batteries. Removing power does not mean turning power off on the foot pedal. The foot pedal still has power even if you turn the switch off. You have to unplug it or turn the power breaker for the troll motor off at the battery. To may times I have seen this sort of problem, which is caused by the battery charger. If you follow this then you should be good.

I have a friend who bought a new Nitro this past spring with an Ultrex. After a couple trips to have the TM repaired he bought a 2nd one so he could have 1 functioning motor while the other was in the shop.

On the other hand I had one for two seasons and never had a problem with it. I sold it last spring and now have the Ghost and had a trouble free season with it.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member

Water intrusion was the issue, had it in for troubleshooting yesterday. The new shaft will be sealed.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

6. Member
    I got one of the first Ultrex, hasn't spent a day in the shop yet. GREAT motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I have a friend who bought a new Nitro this past spring with an Ultrex. After a couple trips to have the TM repaired he bought a 2nd one so he could have 1 functioning motor while the other was in the shop.

On the other hand I had one for two seasons and never had a problem with it. I sold it last spring and now have the Ghost and had a trouble free season with it.
    I found the issue with your friend's first Ultrex