Another MinnKota Ultrex TM question......

Hey guys,

Does the MinnKota Ultrex with built-in Mega Down and Side imaging require a “y”-cable to connect the two (I’m assuming there are two) transducers to a Solex unit? And in the future, if I were to add a Mega 360 unit, would it be a simple as disconnecting the SI transducer from the “y” cable and connecting the 360 unit (aside from 360 bracket and power connection)?

Just trying to get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

The built-in MSI transducer is a single one just like a transom SI transducer.
    Direct connection to a SOLIX since the MSI and MDI transducers have the 14-pin SOLIX plug.

If you add a MEGA 360 then you would need the MEGA 360 Y cable to connect it and another transducer to the display. The MEGA 360 also connects to the unit's transducer port. That Y cable would be the 14 M360 2DDI Y

The MEGA 360 uses the unit's Side Imaging circuits, so you don't get the use of the SI piezos in a SI transducer. The MEGA 360 REPLACES them.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Hey Wayne, I guess where I’m getting confused is one of the selections for the built-in sonar shows Mega down/side imaging. Are these not two separate units? I’m just trying to get my head around all the options.
    695CBA7D-F7CF-49E9-9241-812254EB24F7.jpeg
    Thanks, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
    Hey Wayne, I guess where I’m getting confused is one of the selections for the built-in sonar shows Mega down/side imaging. Are these not two separate units? I’m just trying to get my head around all the options.
    695CBA7D-F7CF-49E9-9241-812254EB24F7.jpeg
    Thanks, Ed.
    There is a di /2d ultrex,
    a si/di/2d ultrex
    a 2d ultrex.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Yeah, that’s what the literature suggests. I sent an email to MinnKota asking the same question as above and they haven’t responded (I’m assuming their lack of response is Covid related). So does anyone know how the si/di/2d connects to a Solex? The last thing I want to do is shell out $3k+ on a tm only to find out I can’t use it if I choose to add a Mega 360 unit.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

6. Member
    Yeah, that’s what the literature suggests. I sent an email to MinnKota asking the same question as above and they haven’t responded (I’m assuming their lack of response is Covid related). So does anyone know how the si/di/2d connects to a Solex? The last thing I want to do is shell out $3k+ on a tm only to find out I can’t use it if I choose to add a Mega 360 unit.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
    Post#2,
    Built-In MEGA Imaging Compatibility | Minn Kota Motors
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    Thanks, Wes, that clears up one question.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
    Already described the connections in post #2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Already described the connections in post #2.
    No, not really, this question is a bit different.

No, not really, this question is a bit different.
    The SOLIX Side Imaging transducer connects to the SOLIX's only one transducer port. It does left side Side Imaging, right side Side Imaging, Down Imaging, HW CHIRP 2D sonar and Temp. It has a 14-pin connection.

The MEGA 360 connects to the SOLIX's only one transducer port and uses the two Side Imaging circuits. The MEGA 360 plug is a 14-pin SOLIX connection==uses up the whole plug. The MEGA 360 does Side Imaging and 360---that's it.
    If you want a Depth reading/2D sonar/Down Imaging/Temp, you have to share that single unit port with the MEGA 360 by splitting it using a Y cable. The MEGA 360 connects to the 360 side if the Y cable and the other transducer connects to the other side of the Y cable.

Since the MEGA 360 uses the Side Imaging circuits, it is impossible to get Side Imaging from a Side Imaging transducer and have the MEGA 360 connected also. That Side Imaging transducer can be the Humminbird transom Side Imaging transducer, Humminbird Side Imaging transducer attached to the trolling motor, or Minnkota built-in MSI transducer=still cannot use the SI piezos.

AND if you have the SOLIX connected to the Minnkota MSI transducer you would not be using a Y cable to start with so there would be no disconnecting from a Y cable to add the MEGA 360. You have to ADD both the Y cable and MEGA 360.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 12-12-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Ok, thanks Wayne.

12. Member
    I really have no business jumping into this conversation. I feel like a preschool kid debating calculus but I will tell you my recent buying and installing story. It might help, it might not. I just bought a new Ultrex with DI, HB unit and Mega 360. The dealer told me not to get the Ultrex SI with the mega because it wouldn't read both. I think that is what they saying above. He also did send me a Y connector to accept the Mega and the DI from Ultrex. I haven't used on the water yet, but I think that might help answer a couple of your questions. If not, I will go back to the back of the class.