Raymarine A98 Touch Screen not Responsive

I have 2 networked A98's on my bass boat plus a CP200 side-scanning unit. The console A98 has been throwing random man-overboard alarms when I am not even touching the unit and the touch screen is frequently nonresponsive. These units are less than 4 years old. I am seeing on this and other forums that many of the A series touch screens are failing prematurely and am not sure if it worth getting mine fixed by Raymarine for $900. I have also read that upgrading to Axioms by turning in the A98 is not that attractive since the sensitivity seems inferior to the A series. My question is do any of you know whether the C series that runs lighthouse 2, but doesn't have a touch screen, is more reliable in terms of longevity and does the C-series return images that are as good as the A-series?

2. Member
    Knobs are always more reliable than touch screens.

C and E were replaced by A and eS. I’d take eS over A before I went with C.

3. Member
    Thanks Jig34. Do you think the eS touch screen is just as likely as the A series to have problems? My unit was babied, it looks brand new. I just feel unsure about replacing it with another Raymarine touch screen and don't won't to start all over and replace everything. Thanks

4. Member
    eS screens are about the same. Failure rate was pretty low, but touch screens can be a pain.

I liked Axiom/Axiom Pro better overall

For freshwater, Element is my favorite, but you can only network 2 and they don’t share transducers. Not a big deal for me and the operation and images are great.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac18 View Post
    I have 2 networked A98's on my bass boat plus a CP200 side-scanning unit. The console A98 has been throwing random man-overboard alarms when I am not even touching the unit and the touch screen is frequently nonresponsive. These units are less than 4 years old. I am seeing on this and other forums that many of the A series touch screens are failing prematurely and am not sure if it worth getting mine fixed by Raymarine for $900. I have also read that upgrading to Axioms by turning in the A98 is not that attractive since the sensitivity seems inferior to the A series. My question is do any of you know whether the C series that runs lighthouse 2, but doesn't have a touch screen, is more reliable in terms of longevity and does the C-series return images that are as good as the A-series?
    Well 4 months later the second Raymarine A98 died in the exact same fashion. Touch screen nonresponsive and randomly changing pages or reverting to the homepage. Both units are completely unusable and Raymarine is fully aware these units are failing prematurely but offer nothing to help out. I am done with them as a company. I guess this is just a mini-rant but I am switching to Garmin.

6. Member
    maybe designed-in failure to force a new buy?

7. Member
    you won't find anything as good as the A series, I've tried. Found an unused ES last year luckily. Tried Garmin with the gt54 ducer and sold it a week later.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    you won't find anything as good as the A series, I've tried. Found an unused ES last year luckily. Tried Garmin with the gt54 ducer and sold it a week later.
    I was happy with the units when they worked, too bad they didn't last