Thread: Ranger cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger cover

Just bought new to me, 2015 Z521C Single Console. The cover that came with it is POS, too loose, only two straps(one on each side) and can't get tight enough to keep the water off and blows like hell running down the highway.
    Is there a better high end cover that Ranger makes or any other advice on a cover with a tighter fit?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It doesn’t sound like the cover you got is the Ranger factory cover. If you have a Ranger dealer anywhere nearby, it would be worth your while to take a field trip to see how the factory cover looks and fits. They are generally considered the best of the best. And of course, if you have an acquaintance with a reasonably newish Ranger, they also could demonstrate this cover for you. Franklin isn’t too far south in KY, I believe, and Dixie Marine just across the border would be happy to show you the real deal in covers. Very decent folks to deal with there, as is my own dealer just another hour or so farther north, Knox Marine.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thanks, but the cover has the Ranger decals on both sides. Just don't fit to suit me.

4. Member
    You can have more straps added at a upholstery shop fairly cheap.

5. Member
    Are you sure you are installing it correctly? Check You Tube.

When done properly it should be basically wrinkle free, tight like a drum, and won't move hardly at all on the road.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Member
    Put a few covers on in my day!

7. Member
    I have had the Ranger flat cover and the Ranger "seats in" cover both, over time. They produce two different covers. Is it possible that you have a "seats in" cover, and are not using it that way? Not being smart either, just asking. I had to use the seats on one of my boats to get it to fit correctly. I had originally thought it was a flat cover, and it was not. Hope this helps you out.

Doesn't sound like you're putting it on right. A seats in cover needs the seats IN. The two straps that go to the back are to be UNDER the rubber and then drawn tight to the rear with add on ratchet strap winder that attaches to the bracket on the side of the motor bracket. There should also be a belly strap that goes under the hull at the rear of the consoles.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Mine came with a flat, no seats in cover. It was too flat in the front area of the boat. The rain would pool up. I ended up putting a 5 gallon bucket under the cover to support it. The bucket was cheaper than a new cover. At 11 years old, I do put a blue tarp over it to help with the rain run off when it is sitting next to the house.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

10. Member
    I have a factory new cover and mine does not have a belly strap just 2 straps in the front (with seats install ) not a flat cover and then all the straps and tightening straps at the rear and it is still a little loose in the front mostly around trolling motor.I think it is made that way for different types of trolling motors maybe. It does not sag very much after you tighten everything in the rear or at least the one i have doesn't Z520 just saying Oh mine is dual console ..don't know if that would matter

11. Member
    I may have to watch a you tube when i put mine back on.I have a dual console . I have straps in front of the consoles that go down to trailer and then on the back i have a strap on each corner of the trailer to the eyes in the transom and then i have strap each on each side that hook to a ratchet that is hooked to the each side of the motor and then i have a strap on each side that has ratchet made to them that down under motor and hook together .I think all the tightening and stretching happens at the back and it is pulled pretty taught and of course the seats are installed as well. I think that is the way it works on mine and mine has Ranger on drivers side with a velcro hatch i guess for getting inside there above the windshield area and another access on passenger above gas tank cap.
    It is a very heavy duty cover.If you take it on and off by your self it is almost a job !!!
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    There used to be a guy in Louisville (John's Canvas Shop, although I'm not sure whether he's still in business) who custom made my last 3 covers. The one I have now is 20 years old and still fits like a glove. Maybe check in Bowling Green and Nashville and see if you can find somebody.

13. Member
    The cover i have is quality made i mean you can tell from afar. Proud of that Maybe the guy in Louiville will get you a good cover.
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    I could be wrong, but I think that the flat cover still needs the butt seat installed in the cockpit hole to tighten it up!

John

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strokin2fish View Post
    Just bought new to me, 2015 Z521C Single Console. The cover that came with it is POS, too loose, only two straps(one on each side) and can't get tight enough to keep the water off and blows like hell running down the highway.
    Is there a better high end cover that Ranger makes or any other advice on a cover with a tighter fit?
    Thanks in advance.
    I have nearly this same boat but dual console and the ranger cover is the nicest ive seen. something aint right for you to be having those issues...

yes there are only 2 straps on the side that go down to the trailer in front of the console, but thats all you need because the belly strap (cinched around BELOW the rubrail) and those ratchet tensioners keep it tight across the stern and it really doesnt blow much on the highway.... (seats down, I didnt know there was a seats up option) if anything, mine sorta suctions down tight to the front deck as you speed up...

16. Member
    Sounds to me like the previous owner bought a cover for a different model boat than yours.so it may be a very nice ranger cover but it doesn’t fit because it’s not for that hull?? Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by strokin2fish View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    You are using the Ratchets that attach to the motor bracket and then you hook the straps to and ratchet the strap tight, right ???
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    have a 2015 118c and have the sme problem with cover water pools and going down road it looks like a circus tent not like lst ranger I had that cover was the nuts

19. Member
    Yes, I am strapping with the two side straps and the 2 rear straps. Seats out and still very loose when all cinched down. Moose may be on to something, maybe previous owner did not purchase correct cover for a 521C. Thanks for all the help to me being a newbie to the Ranger Family. May try the seats in track but not very confident.

20. Member
    Not sure if this is possible or not but I bet if you contacted Ranger customer service with your hull S/N they could look in their records what type of cover (seats in, out, etc...) was ordered for your boat by the previous owner. Perhaps John our moderator could help with that. Just a thought as it is obvious something is not right here as Ranger covers fit like a glove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast