Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many miles are Goodyear Marathons rated for?

For the most part I'm experiencing even tread wear on my ST205/75R14 Load C's on my tandem axle 2016 EZLoader under my Skeeter FX20.

I've always towed at 52-55 PSI and have only traveled ~15k on them but all 4 look ready to replace.

I feel like I had the same problem with these on my 2005 Ranger Z20 on tandems as well.

Any thoughts as I was hoping to get at least 30k outta this set.

Thanks,

~Charley

2. Member
    Not 100% sure but I don't think they rate trailer tires for number of miles, which is basically a warranty.

3. Member
    I've seen mid 20's on a single axle, but by then they are toast. My last set of endurance were only going to see about 20k before they were done.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

I replace my trailer tires every 3-4 years....no matter if the miles.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Trailer tires are supposed to only have a 4 year lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Trailer tires are supposed to only have a 4 year lifespan
    Got 12 years out of AMERICAN made GY Marathon tires. But the flip side was I got 2000 miles out of Kumho LT tires

In just a little over a year I've put 10,000 on this set. According to discount tire the tread depth on 3 tires show to have used about 15% of available. The 4th shows over 20% before rotation.. Which is the best I've ever gotten from any set of ST tires.. I also run these at 65 PSI cold.. I live in West Texas where its possible to go 100 miles with the cruse set on 79 MPH so you don't want an under inflated tire getting hot !!! Heat is the number cause of tire failure. I believe on long stretches of road at high speed it also softens the tire enough that they wear faster.
    IMO tire wear on trailers is dictated by how true the wheels run on hubs/axles. I've changed out more than one factory axle due to bad tire wear over the years. Which is the main reason I figure you won't see a mileage rating on ST tires.

8. Member
    It seems most of my tire rubber is on the driveway backing into the garage. Tandems eat up tires on tight turns and definitely take away from overall life if you measure in tread depth and not years. It’s like my old work buddy who drives his truck like he stole it and complained to me about my tire mileage being double his.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

9. Member
    Always replace them after around 4 years. People who run trailer tires 6/8+ years and older are just dumb IMO.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Always replace them after around 4 years. People who run trailer tires 6/8+ years and older are just dumb IMO.
    or maybe the lake is real close to their house

11. Member
    I am approaching 20k miles on mine as well. I was told by keeping the boat in the garage in a cool dry place that they will last longer. As opposed to being left in the sun and weather. I wonder what the break down on rubber is when stored indoors vs outdoors is.

Had a hard headed friend who has money but is so tight he squeaks. He refused to replace some 10 year old tires even after Discount tire wouldn't repair a flat..
    Some time later while running down the freeway one of them let go and destroyed the fiberglass fender and caused a wreck behind him.....
    Lesson learned the hard way !! Other side of that what if one of those outdated tires causes someone death who happens to be in the wrong place at the right time..

Yep, would have could have, should have.

those old GY tires were probably in better shape then someone that parks their vehicle or boat in the hot sun. Last few years of their life, my trailer never left my shop, (Air conditioned) because I was recovering from a few surgeries.

14. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback gents! Looks like I was DREAMIN' bout gettin 30k outta these. Now since it appears most ST's suck on miles I'm gunna post for opinions on cheap China brands from etrailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyA View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback gents! Looks like I was DREAMIN' bout gettin 30k outta these. Now since it appears most ST's suck on miles I'm gunna post for opinions on cheap China brands from etrailer.com

The most important thing is checking the pressure. Most the so called “ know it all’s” fail to check them as often as they should. I check em every time I pull the boat out of the shop. I have never had a boat trailer tire blow out in 40 years. I never had a GY Marathon come apart like so many have posted on here.

I have never had a boat trailer tire blow out in 40 years. I never had a GY Marathon come apart like so many have posted on here
    Got 12 years out of AMERICAN made GY Marathon tires
    or maybe the lake is real close to their house
    I'm proud for you !!
    For those of us who pull 10,000 plus miles a year---- A remote tire monitor system is a sound investment.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

I'm proud for you !!
    For those of us who pull 10,000 plus miles a year---- A remote tire monitor system is a sound investment.

yea, I pulled trailers ( 2 and sometimes 3) on an average of 3000-3500 miles a week for 34 years. I bumped a lot of tires. 10,000 a year ya say— Hell’s fire you’re a big strapper and a high stepper..
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 11-15-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    yea, I pulled trailers ( 2 and sometimes 3) on an average of 3000-3500 miles a week for 34 years. I bumped a lot of tires. 10,000 a year ya say— Hell’s fire you’re a big strapper and a high stepper..
    Obviously not on your 12 year old Marathons.. For someone who pulled 3500 miles a week for 34 years you should know better than anyone the dangers of running out of date tires.
    My 10,000 miles towing a year is the curse of living in West Texas.. My nearest tournament lake is 240 miles round trip. Except New Mexico shut it down for tournaments in 2020.. The ones I did fish were from 740 to 900 miles round trip. I still managed to fish about 45 days this year. including one fun trip to Falcon, little over 1400 miles. You do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Obviously not on your 12 year old Marathons.. For someone who pulled 3500 miles a week for 34 years you should know better than anyone the dangers of running out of date tires.
    My 10,000 miles towing a year is the curse of living in West Texas.. My nearest tournament lake is 240 miles round trip. Except New Mexico shut it down for tournaments in 2020.. The ones I did fish were from 740 to 900 miles round trip. I still managed to fish about 45 days this year. including one fun trip to Falcon, little over 1400 miles. You do the math.

Of course I didn’t do those miles on 12 year old GY Marathons. The point is, those GY tires did last 12 years ( probably 7 years of road use) boat was on a lift for two years, trailer stayed in the shop for 3 years while I healed up. If for any reason I didn’t think they were safe, I would have stop using them. When I bought new tires my tire shop was amazed at the condition of the tires for their age. No checking, no splits, no patches or plugs.

On the other hand I replaced them with the 8-10 ply Kuhmo tires guys were using for trailer tires. Last 2000 miles, everyone had belt separation.

Sometimes things aren’t like everyone thinks.

I know a guy that never uses Sta-Bilt when he parks his boat for 6 months, never fogs his cylinders. Puts ethanol in a 1971 model vehicle, no fuel conditioner and most times this vehicle doesn’t get started maybe once, twice a year——- same gas.
    He has been doing all of these things for years. It wouldn’t work for me——- but it works for him, so I’m not going to argue about it.
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 11-16-2020 at 12:25 PM.

The point is, those GY tires did last 12 years
    Still proud for you