Mercury Pro XS bogging down and dying

<Serial Number- 2B116303
    Model Number- 1175P73EY>

Hey guys, so the other day I was fishing and going down the river at full speed and then I felt my motor kind of give out a little to where speed starting dropping pretty quick. My system alarm didn’t not give me any sort of horn. I stopped completely and then tried to get on pad again and all it did was big down and die. I jacked my jack plate up and took the cowling off to look for anything obvious and nothing. Well with my jack plate still up, it fired up and I could put it in gear and go. So I killed the motor, put the cowling back on, and then lowered the jack plate all the way down. Again, it wouldn’t even start. If it did, it would big down and die right away. I jacked the jack plate up to where it was before I lowered it back down and tried firing it up, and it started. So I just put it in gear and trolled with the main motor all the way back to the ramp about a 1/2 mile away. I was fishing up shallow, very shallow before I went down the river so I thought I may have got some gunk in my intake. But it did run fine until I was wide open down the river... so I come home and flush it out using a water house to the fitting on the bottom cowling and flushed it for about 3 minutes. Hooked muffs up to it and it started just fine, could give a little gas in forward and reverse and no bogging down and dying. Today I take it to see if when I put it in the water if it is fixed or not. I couldn’t even get it off the trailer. It would big down and die. This was with the jack plate all the way down. I forgot to try it with it raised.. but idk if this is a fuel issue or a water impeller issue? I wouldn’t think it’s a fuel issue because it wouldn’t start regardless of whether the jack plate was up or down if that’s the case. Just hoping someone has any ideas.. thanks guys.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-10-2020 at 12:30 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Serial Number- 2B116303
    Model Number- 1175P73EY

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water pump impeller will not, in and of itself, prevent engine from starting.

Start with the BASICS:

-Visual Inspection (including BELT and TENSIONER)

-Compression Test

-Spark Test

-Air/Fuel Pressure Tests, Record results for: Idle, Under Acceleration, 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown

-Fuel SUPPLY system inspection/tests

IF no problems are noted after all of the above, drop gearcase and inspect for a loose exhaust tuner (loose or fell off inside the midsection).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor