Thread: Lifted trucks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I did a leveling kit on my '06 Silverado because I was tired of it pointing down in front. Now it sits level with ground. It wears 33" tires and IMO looks pretty good. I did have to adjust the headlights for towing as they were blinding people once some weight was put on the hitch. Gas mileage sucked while towing to begin with. It's around 12 mpg and didn't change much from leveling.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Lower yours then.......or get a trailer?
    mine is stock height and fine..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I did a leveling kit on my '06 Silverado because I was tired of it pointing down in front. Now it sits level with ground. It wears 33" tires and IMO looks pretty good. I did have to adjust the headlights for towing as they were blinding people once some weight was put on the hitch. Gas mileage sucked while towing to begin with. It's around 12 mpg and didn't change much from leveling.

NoCAL
    That's about the same mpg I'm getting with the truck stock!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    That's about the same mpg I'm getting with the truck stock!
    Towing or empty? Cause damn. Running empty I get 18.5 around town and towing my boat I get 15.2-15.6 depending on speed and weather in a 5.0 F150. And I don't baby it at all.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    Towing or empty? Cause damn. Running empty I get 18.5 around town and towing my boat I get 15.2-15.6 depending on speed and weather in a 5.0 F150. And I don't baby it at all.
    That's pulling my fully loaded Ranger!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    Spend a bunch of money to keep losing money every time you drive it.......
    All my vehicles have gotten 25+ and seeing these #'s make me cringe.
    Signed,
    el, cheapo

Seriously, I haven't owned a pickup in 30 years, but I think they're totally cool. More of an SUV and hatchback type'a guy.

7. Member
    Lifted trucks shows too much money and not enough brains.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    How is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    Envy doesn't look good on anyone....

A lift kit and tires doesn't really cost much and if the cost really impacts you, then you shouldn't be doing it.

10. Member
    I used to love the look, but now there is no way I’d go any bigger than a leveling kit and maybe up a factory tire size. For most people 99.9 percent of time you drive the truck to work and to the boat ramp. The half ton or bigger trucks suck around here off-roading anyways because they are too big. So really no point lifting them.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Banned
    Your Toy

12. Member
    I love lifted trucks, and some sweet sounding duels.

Spend the extra money and get the gears swapped out when going to larger/heavier/more aggressive tire. It’ll save you money on the long run.

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_siz...tio_calculator
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

Well, I know everyone is getting worse gas mileage, and it does make sense. However, this won't necessarily happen. My 2006 Silverado 4x4 came with 3.42 gears which are abismaly high. I was only getting 12-13 mpg stock. I installed a Superlift 6-inch suspension lift, lift keys, add-a-leafs and lift shackles for a total of 7 inch suspension lift. I went with 17x8 Pro-Comp wheels and LT305/70/R17 inch Cooper Discoverer tires which measure about 34 inches tall. I also regeared the truck to 4.10 gears. I went from a crappy 12-13 to an impressive 14-16 mpg after the lift! The stock gears were so I, I was just lugging the thing around and guzzling fuel to get it up to speed. Now, it has a lot more get-up-and-go and I have even gotten 17 mpg with it driving nice and easy on the interstate. Moral of the story, if you set it up right, and choose the correct gear ratio and tire combo when you lift, you might actually increase mileage by fixing a poor factory set up. I love driving my truck now and it pulls the old bass boat like a dream.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Well dang! It didn't take long to talk me out of that! I'll just save the money for next "game changing" technology to come out!
    Don't let them talk you out of it. If you want it, it can be done correctly, and if done right you won't lose any gas mileage (will have to regear to do it right). Most people who have problems likely didn't spend the extra couple hundred bucks to regear and went with ridiculous tire choices. I love my lifted Silverado, and every time I stop to get gas or go to the car wash I always get compliments on it. Plan to spend about $3,000 to $4,000 to do it right (lower if you have common sense and can read simple instructions and don't mind to do the work yourself, higher if you want really expensive forged wheels). You'll fall in love with your truck again after lifting it and driving it will be a pleasure. And yes, I still use my truck as a truck, towing, hauling, and driving through fields and it only does all this better now that it's lifted.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    Spend a bunch of money to keep losing money every time you drive it.......
    Best of just walkin or bummin a ride of your pal....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Well, I know everyone is getting worse gas mileage, and it does make sense. However, this won't necessarily happen. My 2006 Silverado 4x4 came with 3.42 gears which are abismaly high. I was only getting 12-13 mpg stock. I installed a Superlift 6-inch suspension lift, lift keys, add-a-leafs and lift shackles for a total of 7 inch suspension lift. I went with 17x8 Pro-Comp wheels and LT305/70/R17 inch Cooper Discoverer tires which measure about 34 inches tall. I also regeared the truck to 4.10 gears. I went from a crappy 12-13 to an impressive 14-16 mpg after the lift! The stock gears were so I, I was just lugging the thing around and guzzling fuel to get it up to speed. Now, it has a lot more get-up-and-go and I have even gotten 17 mpg with it driving nice and easy on the interstate. Moral of the story, if you set it up right, and choose the correct gear ratio and tire combo when you lift, you might actually increase mileage by fixing a poor factory set up. I love driving my truck now and it pulls the old bass boat like a dream.
    7" of lift with 34" tires..... Looks like the dudes in the gym that skip leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Define lifting. You talking 4-6+ inches or just 2-3? I "leveled" my Tundra with Bilstein 6112 coilovers (no cheap spacer) set to 1.9" so I'm right at the TRD Pro height. That allowed me to go up one tire size to 275/70r18 on factory wheels which is what knocked my mileage about 2-3 because Nitto Trail Grapplers are heavy!! I could have went same size as what I went with and a lighter tire and probably would have lost 1-2mpg. If you are talking 6" on 35" tires or bigger then yes you will loose a ton. I'm thinking I can squeeze a 295/70r18 next go around still on stock wheels but know going in I will go another 2-3mpg loss.
    Just FYI you will rub with 295s. I did and I had 3 inches in the front and one in the rear on my 2016. I should have went with 285s.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

19. Member
    If you decide to lift and put bigger wheels and tires on you will for sure. Also if you do all the above expect shorter lifespans of your hubs, tie rods, and everything around it. But hey, it looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinR83 View Post
    If you decide to lift and put bigger wheels and tires on you will for sure. Also if you do all the above expect shorter lifespans of your hubs, tie rods, and everything around it. But hey, it looks cool.
    It does looks cool.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast